I have to slap my 963SA to get it to work!
Nov 14, 2003 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Nutty

New Head-Fier
Lately when I turn on my Philips 963SA and Corda HA-1MKII, I get no sound or very faint, garbled static. I can remedy this problem easily by thumping the 963SA with my hand (not too hard, though), or by quickly pushing the unit a few inches to the side. In other words, I have to jar the unit to get it to work, but when I do the sound comes through my phones just fine. Anybody else experience a problem similar to this with the 963SA? I purchased it new this summer...

Nov 15, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Nutty
Lately when I turn on my Philips 963SA and Corda HA-1MKII, I get no sound or very faint, garbled static. I can remedy this problem easily by thumping the 963SA with my hand (not too hard, though), or by quickly pushing the unit a few inches to the side. In other words, I have to jar the unit to get it to work, but when I do the sound comes through my phones just fine. Anybody else experience a problem similar to this with the 963SA? I purchased it new this summer...

This is indeed normal -- in fact it's a little-known trait of the very best products out there.

Seriously though, get it repaired
wink.gif
I had a similar problem with my 775, and it eventually got so bad it became unusable -- then Matt Anker (who modded my player) saved the day by fixing it!
biggrin.gif

-dd3mon

Nov 15, 2003 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 14
I'm not suprised, everything I've ever bought with a Philips brand on it has broken on me. The same is true with Sony, thats why I now go out of my way to avoid purchasing that kind of mass produced junk anymore.

Nov 15, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 14
That's funny, my 963SA works fine. I have to slap my wife to get her to work though...
biggrin.gif

(Just kidding, I'm single)

Nov 17, 2003 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by GlowWorm
I'm not suprised, everything I've ever bought with a Philips brand on it has broken on me.

funny, i've just watched "Macron 1" on our Philips video player, bought in 1989
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2003 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Wmcmanus
That's funny, my 963SA works fine. I have to slap my wife to get her to work though...
biggrin.gif

the profecy, according to dd3mon, is that she will eventually get so bad until she'll become unusable .
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2003 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
funny, i've just watched "Macron 1" on our Philips video player, bought in 1989
biggrin.gif

Thats not suprising either, because I've been told by people in the
know that the older VCR's are built much better than the garbage they are producing today.

Nov 18, 2003 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 14
Sometimes I do wonder about these modern home CD decks.

My Sony CDP-XA20ES weighs about 22 pounds.

Modern day Music Hall 25 or even the Philips 964 weighs just around 10 pounds. What gives?

Are we really shrinking all these components by that much?

Are we still getting the same quality?

Nov 18, 2003 at 9:30 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by GlowWorm
I'm not suprised, everything I've ever bought with a Philips brand on it has broken on me. The same is true with Sony, thats why I now go out of my way to avoid purchasing that kind of mass produced junk anymore.

Marantz is owned by Philips - likely manufactured in the exact same factories.

Nov 18, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by yidimsum
Marantz is owned by Philips - likely manufactured in the exact same factories.

Marantz was sold by Philips a while ago; it's now owned by the parent company of Denon.

- w

Nov 19, 2003 at 5:09 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
Marantz was sold by Philips a while ago; it's now owned by the parent company of Denon.

- w

Thats really weird because I have a Denon tuner, and yes of course it's broke.
rolleyes.gif
But my Marantz CD-48 is still going strong after 6 years. Go figure?

Nov 22, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
This is indeed normal -- in fact it's a little-known trait of the very best products out there.

Seriously though, get it repaired
wink.gif
I had a similar problem with my 775, and it eventually got so bad it became unusable -- then Matt Anker (who modded my player) saved the day by fixing it!
biggrin.gif

-dd3mon

I had been considering getting my 963 modded before these problems arose. Should I send the unit off to Philips for repairs first, or should I have someone mod it and mention the problem to them? I know I should probably let Philips fix it first, but it sure would save a lot of wait time just to get it modded and hope it's a minor fix a modder can take care of...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back