I have to report for Jury duty tomorrow...
Oct 3, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #16 of 23
Just imagine that you were in front of a jury as a defendant -- would you want a group of troglodytes who weren't clever enough to get out of jury duty? Or would you want at least a few intelligent, fair, rational folks mixed in to your jury?

I say answer the questions honestly and intelligently. You'll probably get dismissed, but I would encourage you to view deciding someone else's guilt or freedom as an important civic duty, not as a joke or an inconvenience.

Oct 4, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #17 of 23
...thanks for the replies though.

it was a personal injury civil case, and maybe they were spooked by my having a sister that is a M.D. Mecial Doctor, who knows.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Tell them your a Law & Order advocate. Premptory bump by the defense.

LOL!!!!!!

Oct 4, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tradja
Just imagine that you were in front of a jury as a defendant -- would you want a group of troglodytes who weren't clever enough to get out of jury duty? Or would you want at least a few intelligent, fair, rational folks mixed in to your jury?

I say answer the questions honestly and intelligently. You'll probably get dismissed, but I would encourage you to view deciding someone else's guilt or freedom as an important civic duty, not as a joke or an inconvenience.

Yes, but if you work for a living and you are unfortunate enough to get "drafted" for a really long case like a Murder case, then there really needs to be better financial compensation for it. At least in California, the compensation for jury duty is a joke. While it is required by law that employers give time off for jury duty, it is not required that they pay you your full wage while you are serving. So for many people (especially those that live paycheck to paycheck) jury duty can be far more than an inconvenience.

But the sad truth is that the more intelligent and rational you come off will probably get you dismissed.

-Ed

Oct 5, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
While it is required by law that employers give time off for jury duty, it is not required that they pay you your full wage while you are serving. So for many people (especially those that live paycheck to paycheck) jury duty can be far more than an inconvenience.

But the sad truth is that the more intelligent and rational you come off will probably get you dismissed.

That is sad indeed. And a law requiring employers to pay employees while they are serving would be a burden on small employers. So you end up with a civil or criminal jury made up of retirees or unemployed.

When I was working at a law firm as a civil litigation paralegal, we took a three-week case to trial, and the jury was pretty well-rounded, as far as age and class. I don't remember what the jury compensation provisions were, but it can't have been much.

Oct 5, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #21 of 23
I imagine that's probably the main reason why people attempt to avoid jury duty. Most of us don't have the luxury of taking off from work and not feeling the effects of not getting a pay check. If i got called for jury duty, i'm a contractor, therefore i wont see any compensation for it....afaik.

Oct 5, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #22 of 23
I'm salaried but I wonder if my employer would make me burn paid-time-off to still collect a full check. Bet he would. That'd suck.
CPW

Oct 5, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #23 of 23
any updates?
Lot's of different accounts here.
Like the framm commercial says, you can pay me now, or pay me later.
The days of excuses to serve are over, at least in NYS. But, that does not mean you'll get picked, I'm just saying you can't just not show up for your summons.
The lawyers and Judge's seen them all, in fact, I won't be surprised if they pick the juror with the most outrageous prejudjice only because they know it's so over the top. Believe me, the courtroom get's mighty quiet when a Judge speaks up. (like being in school again)
I know 2 defendents were lucky they had some jurors that questioned the prosecution's case. (of course, we indicted over 90 percent of them, but that was only because the bar was set low and we are not on a trial jury)
ALL my employers paid my full salary when I was on jury duty, that includes private firms and civil service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back