I have to report for Jury duty tomorrow...
Oct 2, 2005 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

zeno333

Head-Fier
Some years ago i was not picked...maybe this time i will luck out again....but if not, nay words of wisdom in case I get picked?? I know common sense prevails, but any ideas beyond that???

Oct 2, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeno333
Some years ago i was not picked...maybe this time i will luck out again....but if not, nay words of wisdom in case I get picked?? I know common sense prevails, but any ideas beyond that???

An extremely easy solution: you listen to Howard Stern every morning.
You'll be home in time for breakfast
icon10.gif

Oct 2, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 23
Dress absolutely as grungy as possible, or perfectly with the best suit you
can. Be as racist as possible. Be as chauvinistic as possible. Keep count
of how many jurors have been dismissed by each side and answer questions
to get you deleted by the side with the most jurors left to dismiss. In general
be rude and crude. And far right wing.

Don't swear at the judge because that usually gets you a small fine.
(I should know)

Oct 2, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 23
I agree with the musicjunkie, but it looks like zeno is asking for advice if he gets picked on a jury, not how to get out of it. If you get picked on a jury, the people will give you instructions on what to do and what is expected from you.

Oct 2, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 23
I completed 2 weeks of grand jury duty this past summer.
that's 2 weeks, everyday from 10am to about 5pm listening to drug cases.
I learned a lot and I would do it again. Won't be called again for another 8 yrs since I was on a grand jury.
And be respectful to the judge, they've heard it all before and are quite tired of it from what I've experienced. (She didn't take any excuses, everyone served)
If you get picked, do head-fi proud and do the best job you can.

Oct 3, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #11 of 23
My mother was selected to be on the jury of a marajuana case, even though my mom told the prosecution she believes marajuana should be legal.
eek.gif

(She was not lying, she really does believe that way. Anywho, they ended up aquitting the guy
icon10.gif
.)

It was the defense lawyers very first case. Ironically, it was the prosecutors first case as well.
orphsmile.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore

Don't swear at the judge because that usually gets you a small fine.
(I should know)

lol.

Oct 3, 2005 at 11:45 AM Post #13 of 23
If you really want to get out of jury duty, channel Lee J. Cobb from 12 Angry Men.

If you do get picked, just try to think that you are an important player in the real-life Law & Order.
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Also, remember that Aristophanes wrote The Wasps as a commentary on the over-litigious Athenian populace. In fact, the protagonist views his jury service as entertainment. So, then, this distaste for jury service is a recent enough innovation.

Oct 3, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #14 of 23
If you want to get out of it just turn up naked. I'd go for it myself and if it's some small time petty thing I'd vote not guilty out of principal....... I hate courts and all those people who speak double dutch and make the original event into some kind of trumped up circus drama without being party to the actual facts of the case.... I can only speak from personal experience and when you're in the box surrounded by all these people talking absolute crap about you and the event it's as if they're speaking about someone else and another case.... frightening stuff indeed
eek.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #15 of 23
I served jury duty just about a year ago and can't really say I enjoyed it. I learned a lot going thru the process buy the days just dragged by and I felt more productive at work. If you want to get out of the jury duty claim that you're biased and that you can't possibly render an impartial decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back