I have finally come to a conclusion: I am a Grado man.
Feb 2, 2006 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

hekoman

100+ Head-Fier
I am sure some of you have seen my A900LTD that I posted on the FS/FT forum last night. When I first got them a little less than a month ago I thought I had found audio bliss, nice sweet impactful bass, crystal clear details, and loads of soundstage. The more I listened to them, the more disatisfied I got with them. most people have marked them as a fairly warm presentation, but to me they just to bright. Not shrilly bright, but just to much in the upper end. I have found myself more and more over this past month reaching for my MS1's instead of my A900LTD. It just got to a point that I felt bad and I just didn't see a point in keeping them anymore because I am sure that someone will like them more than me.

And everytime I put on my MS1's I just realize more and more why I love them so much. Such sweet bass and vocals just sing. They just seem so much more fun to listen to. When I was listening with my A900LTD's I just felt kind of detached from the music, and it was just not any fun to listen to.

Also I figured out that I really can not deal with closed cans at all. It just seems that any amount of isolation just amplifies my tinitus to a level that it is unbearable. When I was really young I would have ear infections on a almost monthly basis, and I think that it screwed up my ears and I have had to deal with tinitus ever since. Plus I do not think all that loud music in my car when I was in high school helped either.

So in conclusion I traded my A900LTD's for a pair of MS2's. I am hoping it will be everything that I love about my MS1's, just better.

Feb 2, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 24
congrats - you have to spend all your money on RS1s, HPs and PS1s.
Not like me who just can't live without a grado and a Senn in the house
biggrin.gif

And I'm already forcing an AT in the near future...*sigh*
At least I know that the K701 isn't for me

Have fun with your Alessandro/Grado!

Feb 2, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 24
Hearing new headphones is sometimes all you need to reaffirm why you loved your old headphones.

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 24
I came here following a similar path with my DT770. I REALLY wanted to like that can, and it really excelled for a closed earcup.... But there was something missing, the lower midrange recession made guitars and a lot of vocals sound thin, and a little bright.

Enjoy the MS2, they excel with modest amplification too.

Garrett

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #5 of 24
Good to know. I love my HF-1's, but I am rather intrigued by my new K601. They are not as 'worldly' as they have problems with certain types of music. My HF-1's on the other hand do everything exceptionally...well except classical, which still sounds rather decent.

I find certain tracks that sound better on the K601, but for the most part, I enjoy ALL of my music over the HF-1's...they are that good.

[size=xx-small]believe the hype![/size]

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:24 AM Post #7 of 24
I own a broad range of headphones but I find myself listening to the HF-1 more and more these days. Actually the past weeks I've listened to it almost exclusively. It was my first Grado (since I'm Europe, that's not very strange) and I love it. I'm scanning for a used RS-1 as we speak. I want MORE MORE MORE of that sweet Grado bliss. I find bowl pads to be very comfortable as well.

Anyone know how the MS-Pro fares vs the Rs-1?

Edit: I just ordered the MS-1. Start at the bottom and work my way up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 24
The detail should really be much better with the MS-2i, along with deeper bass response.

If I can't afford an RS-1 in the immediate future, I just might get either the MS-2i, or the 325i to hold me down until things loosen up!
eek.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 24
I too believe I accidentally became a Grado guy. During the summer I bought a pair of SR60s, and that pretty much just changed everything. I stopped listening to other headphones as much as those cheap little SR60s. It was the warmth, it was the intimacy, it was the impact.

Recently I considered getting rid of my Beyerdynamic 880s for a similar reasons to your ATH selling. But, as I prepared to listen to them for the last night that I thought I'd have them, I realized that they still needed to be in my collection for classical and acoustic music. The Grados just don't do that.

Oh, and thank God I didn't manage to "Impulse Trade" my MS2i for your A900LTD. Hearing them again... that would have been a collossal mistake. The MS2i is my favorite headphone to date. I like them with flats.

Feb 2, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
I own a broad range of headphones but I find myself listening to the HF-1 more and more these days. Actually the past weeks I've listened to it almost exclusively. It was my first Grado (since I'm Europe, that's not very strange) and I love it. I'm scanning for a used RS-1 as we speak. I want MORE MORE MORE of that sweet Grado bliss. I find bowl pads to be very comfortable as well.

Anyone know how the MS-Pro fares vs the Rs-1?

Edit: I just ordered the MS-1. Start at the bottom and work my way up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, for me the work up from the SR60 to the RS1 just took 5 months ... don't forget to buckle up
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

[size=xx-small]I have finally come to a conclusion: I am a Grado man[/size]

I understand you
congrats on the ms-2 I'm sure you'll love them

Feb 2, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
ms2i are still my favorite ; )

Yet, when i have me some balanced rs1's, that might change!

Yeah, mjg has a nice pair of recabled MS-2is - no need to upgrade there! If he ever gets into balanced, he can even just reterminate his recabled cans since they already are broken out to L and R.

Feb 2, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I came here following a similar path with my DT770. I REALLY wanted to like that can, and it really excelled for a closed earcup.... But there was something missing, the lower midrange recession made guitars and a lot of vocals sound thin, and a little bright.

Enjoy the MS2, they excel with modest amplification too.

Garrett

Garrett-
I'm finding the same thing w/ the DT770's... and today is the last day I can take them back for a full refund. But everytime I get rid of them, I end up repurchasing them! So I may as well save myself the hassle and just keep them..

I keep wanting to go back to something simple like SR60 or SR80, or try the MS-1's, but the darned cables are just too much of a PITA.... I definitely would have to pick which model I wanted carefully, as the silver 325's gave me a mild case of tinnitus for a few months last year
eek.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral_Mamba
Well, for me the work up from the SR60 to the RS1 just took 5 months ... don't forget to buckle up
biggrin.gif

Oh I'm gonna need that buckle!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back