i have been selected as a juror, i'm preparing for withdrawl
Jan 16, 2004 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

lan

Videographus Supremus:Makes audio cables using super-advanced materials, like "some clear tape" and "some not so clear tape."
I probably will be having no music and internet access for extended periods of time (hours
tongue.gif
). Hope I don't miss something in the FS/FT forum.

Who wants to join Team Take-A-Break?

Jan 16, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 48
Just don't try to sound like you are overly racist and biased against everything. I had a friend summoned for jury duty that saw someone try to get out of it, by saying he was prejudiced against everything. The judge told him to sit down and shut up. I think he ended getting assigned to a murder trial or something. Doh!
eek.gif

-Ed

Jan 16, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 48
I was selected once...and I submitted an exception form stating I was a student and didn't want to fail my year. They quickly replied stating I was permitted to postpone my civic duty.

Thanks goodness!

Jan 16, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 48
I tried going to jury duty, under the influence.(not alchohol) I was one of the first people in the box, and made it all the way to the end to juror on....

a drug trial.

think god it was for crack and not marijuana otherwise I don't think I could have rationalized my hypocrisy.

Jan 16, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 48
I got called last year too. Thankfully, I didn't get selected to the jury box, but it was still a waste of a day. They payed me a whole $20 too, yippee, 5 of which I spent on the lunch.
rolleyes.gif

I also saw a guy trying to weasel out of it by saying he was prejudiced against the case because he used the same auto-insurer as the defendent (it was a car accident case). The judge got got angry, gave him a stern lecture on the importance of citizens to serve in the judicial system, and told him to come back the next 3 days.
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i haven't been called yet. i'm proud to not be a registered voter, but i heard they use the dmv now.. blah, what a waste of time.

I havn't registered to vote yet. Just recently became a citizen. I don't know about the DMV. Someone must've ratted me out
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by raif
think god it was for crack and not marijuana otherwise I don't think I could have rationalized my hypocrisy.

Should've offered the judge a wiff.

Jan 16, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Just don't try to sound like you are overly racist and biased against everything. I had a friend summoned for jury duty that saw someone try to get out of it, by saying he was prejudiced against everything. The judge told him to sit down and shut up. I think he ended getting assigned to a murder trial or something. Doh!
eek.gif

-Ed

no, You have to be super racist, think KKK on crack
very_evil_smiley.gif

If you really want to get out of it you can play it smart and you will.

Jan 16, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by lan

Should've offered the judge a wiff.

Its funny because the defense attorney knew I wasn't all there. He gave me a few of the patented "I know what your on" looks, but I had just gotten out of the Naval Academy and was all clean cut and well spoken, so the prosecuter seemed to like me as well.

Still, I had a permanent crap-eating grin on my face and almost lost it a couple of times during other jurors' testimonials. There are some weird people out there. It always trips me out when I am in that state and still no where near the craziest person in the room.

As for the racist thing, I heard that judges really look for that stuff because so many people try and use it to get out of jury duty.

Jan 16, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 48
If you want to be a bad citizen, I think a much better approach is to go in and assure the judge that you are very good at distinguishing guilty people quickly (or in the case of a civil trial, the party at fault) so you'd be an especially good choice for juror.

"Of course, I keep an open mind and listen to all the evidence, but I'm usually able to tell the guilty party in less than a minute. I watch Court TV all the time and I'm never wrong."

Jan 17, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
If you want to be a bad citizen, I think a much better approach is to go in and assure the judge that you are very good at distinguishing guilty people quickly (or in the case of a civil trial, the party at fault) so you'd be an especially good choice for juror.

"Of course, I keep an open mind and listen to all the evidence, but I'm usually able to tell the guilty party in less than a minute. I watch Court TV all the time and I'm never wrong."

LOL
tongue.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #13 of 48
You do realize that some people consider it an honor to be on jury duty?
It is your civic duty.
Being a part of our justice system can be quite an experience, and one we should all take pride in doing.

That is the way my wife tells it to me.

I got on jury duty once a few years ago. Never got selected for any of the trials though. I do remember one of the attorneys making a comment about me looking at my watch during a selection session.
confused.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 48
Just say you are deaf......and period......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #15 of 48
I've been a registered to vote since the day I turned 18 (about 16 years) and I've never been called. I'd love to do it, though, to see it from the inside. Unfortunately, I think it's highly improbable that I'd be left on a jury, as I'm a psychogist who's actually published research on juror decision-making...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back