I Have and Kenwood turntable..... now what? Help!?
Jul 4, 2008 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thatwunguy

100+ Head-Fier
So I just received the kenwood kp (not kd) 3021 that i purchased for about $30 on ebay with about $20 in s&h.

It was packed VERY well and I do not think anything could have happened to it during shipping. The problem was that the cartridge that came on the record player (pickering xv-15) had a broken stylus so I had to put the factory stylus back on. I cannot figure out how to get the cartridge to be perfectly centered and the lateral weight to be perfectly balanced.

Also, when I attempt to play a record, It sounds slow but this may be due to the extra stress of the inappropriate stylus pressure. Or could something else be wrong?

I'm new to vinyl and I need your help to get on my way to enjoying my music.

What should I do to get this thing in optimal condition.

Side note: a friend of my mom may give me an old working kenwood deck and there are 2 numark tt 1700's available on craiglist near me. They are in "excellent condition" and cost $60 for the pair.

What should I do? i have too many options!!!!

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 5
A quick search turned up this:

KENWOOD KP-3021 ,TT-4,TURNTABLE BELT,PRICE:$6.95

This is a new belt for $6.99. I'd pick one up - this might have something to do with your speed problem. Not too bad of a price to see if it would help. I'd also clean out the bearing and add new oil. You can pick up some Mobil One 5W30 synthetic at an auto parts store. Not terribly expensive and one quart will last a lifetime.

I had no luck finding a manual (with just some quick searches) but you might be able to glean some info here:

Kenwood | Manuals Free Download, Owners, Service, Schematics, Brochures | Vinyl Engine

You can use one of the standard protractors to set up your arm and pick up a Shure scale to adjust the arm's counterweight.

I don't know the quality of the cart you're using, but you might want to think about picking up a Grado Black cartridge. Like the SR-60, it punches well above its weight. If your arm is P-mount, you can get a version for that, as well.

You have a nice looking deck - I like the wooden plinth. If I were you, I'd put a little time and money into it.

Jul 4, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had no luck finding a manual (with just some quick searches) but you might be able to glean some info here:

it came with the manual but it describes how to set up the turntable for people who already kind of know what they are doing.

I have no idea what most of the terms mean...

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 5
You COULD, only if you want to, take it to a high end store and have them set it up. It'll cost, but you should wait until you get a new cart(ridge) for it. But if you lack the funds, with a little patient research you should glean what you need.
however, it will cost more than you paid for it probably.

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatwunguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it came with the manual but it describes how to set up the turntable for people who already kind of know what they are doing.

I have no idea what most of the terms mean...

It is confusing at first and took me awhile to figure out what's going on.

First, you're going to want to get the cartridge in the correct position. That involves using one of the various protractor tools. You can download a number of them here for free:

Cartridge Alignment Protractors | Free Turntable, Tonearm & Cartridge Tools | Vinyl Engine

The cartridge has to be aligned to track correctly with the groove. There are a number of schemes to do this, primarily the Baerwald and Lofgren methods, but explaining them gets complicated. Mostly, you need to find the distance from the center point of the arm pivot to the spindle. That should be listed in your manual.

Then use a protractor for that length to align the cartridge on two points along an arc. This is a pain in the gonads, but be patient and work at it. If you get frustrated, walk away for 15 minutes and then come back. Once you have those lined up, square up the cartridge to the lines on the protractor.

The next adjustment should be the tracking weight. You'll need a small scale (Shure makes a nice one for $20 or so) that slips over the spindle and you put the stylus on it. Set the scale for the recommended tracking weight of the cartridge (you'll find it in the cartridge's literature) and move the arm's counterweight back and forth until the scale balances.

Set the anti-skating for the same weight as the tracking force of your cartridge.

I'm not familiar with your deck, but you might have a VTA adjustment, which is the vertical tracking angle. The idea is to get the cartridge parallel to the record. This moves the arm up and down.

There are a few other small adjustments, but this should get you going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back