I have AGP...Dont want to upgrade EVERYTHING to PCI-E
Feb 3, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #16 of 34
6600GT is still a nice card, when they first came out their PCI-E price was seriously pretty low for the great performance you got
smily_headphones1.gif

Still I haven't found a PC game thats really absorbed me in a while
frown.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I have no intention of beating your beast. I didnt think this would turn into a pissing contest but I guess benchmarks are intended to do just that. Same crap happening at EOCF and NBF. Wankers
rolleyes.gif

That's actually the reason HardOCP has changed their review format. They realized at some point that framerate and some of the synthetic benchmarks weren't a real useful measure of gear. If one video card gets 300fps on Doom3 and the other gets 500...who cares? Both are still way faster than you need! So now they run a timedemo or through a level and basically report on what they felt to be the highest playable settings. You still get some reviews where playable settings came out the same or every setting maxed out and so (for that game) there was no difference. It was weird to get used to that format at first but I kinda like it now.

Feb 3, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
Still cant touch my 6730 in 05 with 6800GS OCed and 3700 Sandy @ stock
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Wonder if your new beast can beat my beast
tongue.gif

Specs:
AMD 3700 Sandy
Abit AN8-Ultra
eVGA 7800GT
1GB of RAM

My best is 8190 with older drivers and old motherboard, havent gotten a chance to do any serious overclocking and benchmarking with new drivers and new mobo.

Iron_Dreamer what is his rig getting in 3DMark05 so far?

I haven't run any benchmarks yet, other than SUPER_PI as a quick 'n' dirty CPU bench and stress test. I only have 06 on hand, so that's the results that will be given, since i am on a dial-up here and can't download any other version since they are so huge.

At least so far, this card is not seeming like the best OC'er around, I'm only getting 483 core, 1144 memory (compared to 470/1100 stock). We'll have to see what happens here.

Feb 3, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #20 of 34
you should OC the 7800GT's memory in ~27mhz intervals. from most benchies, it appears that OC'ing the memory like that is the only way to really get significant performance gains. what i mean is that if you OC it say, 35 mhz instead of 27 or 54 mhz, you won't notice any difference in performance over the 27mhz overclock. and what i've noticed also about EVGA 7800GTs is they don't OC very well... which chip is it? N-515?

sh0ebox

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #21 of 34
Feb 3, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
Still cant touch my 6730 in 05 with 6800GS OCed and 3700 Sandy @ stock
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Wonder if your new beast can beat my beast
tongue.gif

Specs:
AMD 3700 Sandy
Abit AN8-Ultra
eVGA 7800GT
1GB of RAM

My best is 8190 with older drivers and old motherboard, havent gotten a chance to do any serious overclocking and benchmarking with new drivers and new mobo.

Iron_Dreamer what is his rig getting in 3DMark05 so far?

All that money on a computer, you definetly need to upgrade your headphone rig
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yeah no kidding. Somebody doesn't have their priorities in order.
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX
what i've noticed also about EVGA 7800GTs is they don't OC very well... which chip is it? N-515?

This should be the N517 because I bought the CO version with the copper heatsink etc.

Peter - can you confirm...im gonna FLOG Monarch if they have dicked me around again...
mad.gif

Feb 4, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

This should be the N517 because I bought the CO version with the copper heatsink etc.

Peter - can you confirm...im gonna FLOG Monarch if they have dicked me around again...
mad.gif

I will go have a look in a little while. The core of this thing definitely doesn't like OCing, anything beyond 483 crashes 3DMark06 on the second test, anything from stock to 470 shows increasing levels of visual problems when running it (polygons essentially lose their texture for a flash, and all you see is a solid color for a moment). Memory is getting a bit better, I've gotten up to 1180 so far successfully.

The initial 3DMark06 I ran with everything dead bone stock gave me a 3560.

Feb 4, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

I have no intention of beating your beast. I didnt think this would turn into a pissing contest but I guess benchmarks are intended to do just that. Same crap happening at EOCF and NBF. Wankers
rolleyes.gif

I'm going back to the 6600GT on monday to see if I can stomach the drop in performance...
eek.gif

Sorry dude if i offended you. Its just always fun to see how very similar system perform...

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
very_evil_smiley.gif

I know where they are lol, i havent touched my headphone rig in ages...

Feb 4, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #28 of 34
Well, I went from Socket A to socket 939 a few days ago, and I'm stepping up my evga 6800 agp to a pci-express 6800gs. I did it all for under 400, chaintec nvf4, athlon 64 venice 3000+ (godangit, I couldnt find the opteron 144 in stock everywhere, and AMD stopped production. sigh
frown.gif
)gig of corsair ram, fortron source PSU... It runs so much faster than my old system, and I have not even started over clocking yet.
biggrin.gif

:edit: my old athlon XP rig got me 211 3d marks in 3dmark03 ! w00t! </sarcasm>

Feb 4, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
Well, I went from Socket A to socket 939 a few days ago, and I'm stepping up my evga 6800 agp to a pci-express 6800gs. I did it all for under 400, chaintec nvf4, athlon 64 venice 3000+ (godangit, I couldnt find the opteron 144 in stock everywhere, and AMD stopped production. sigh
frown.gif
)gig of corsair ram, fortron source PSU... It runs so much faster than my old system, and I have not even started over clocking yet.
biggrin.gif

:edit: my old athlon XP rig got me 211 3d marks in 3dmark03 ! w00t! </sarcasm>

Is the 144 dual core?

Whats the benefit of getting an Opteron nowadays instead of a A64 dual core? More cache?

I still haven't moved on from Socket A
very_evil_smiley.gif

Running my 2400+ mobile @ 2.7 GHz stable on air, and it keeps up with all the games I'm playing
biggrin.gif

I've been tempted to upgrade for a loooong time now

Feb 4, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #30 of 34
Opteron 144 is single core, 165 is basically the dual-core version of the same chip. The Opteron chips have twice the cache of the A64 versions and also (allegedly) overclock better because they have better quality or manufacturing process as server chips. The price difference isn't much, so a lot of folks go with Opterons as sort of a "why not!" move.

The advantage of a single core is that it can be a lot cheaper. Dual core chips will help out with overall smoothness and desktop use, especially if you run a lot of applications. If you mainly use your computer for games, you may not notice a benefit from dual core unless you're watching a movie or burning CDs while playing Quake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back