I have about 80 dollars to buy a new pair of portable headphones...Suggesstions?
Dec 3, 2009 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Spardasieg

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking at the Sennheiser PMX100 because I like the behind the head type but was wondering if there was something better.

I use to have the PX100 before they broke on me...They were good sound wise but I don't like to buy the same exact thing over and heard this are similar. Any difference?

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 16
If you are open to going the IEM route, I can't recommend highly enough the RE0 for $84, shipped.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spardasieg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking at the Sennheiser PMX100 because I like the behind the head type but was wondering if there was something better.

The iGrados are probably the best-sounding street-style headphone out there but many people find them uncomfortable. If you think you can deal with street-style phones they might be worth a look.

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #7 of 16
The iGrados need some minor modification by the user before they sound pleasant to me.

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mukulymn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
klipsch image s4

+1

I'm listening to a relatively low-quality download of The Scott Van Pelt Show from the ESPN Radio Insider web page with my new Image S4i (essentially an S4 with an iPod-compatible remote control) and even then the sound quality is a HUGE leap up from most of the IEM's I own. It has a little less overall bass than the Sony MDR-EX90LP I own but it is really tight and really clear. Especially clear is the upper midrange to low treble range--small wonder why some users complain about "sibilance" from some music.
happy_face1.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iGrados need some minor modification by the user before they sound pleasant to me.

How so? I'm reading reviews and they seem better then the PX100 from what I'm hearing...What would I have to do?

(I checked out the S4, they are in ear, cant do it sorry... :frowning2: )

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

How so? I'm reading reviews and they seem better then the PX100 from what I'm hearing...What would I have to do?

Cutting a quarter-sized hole in the pads of the iGrados helps a lot with cleaning up the low-end response. I think that's what Jesda was referring to. They still sound better than the PX100s unmodded (to me).

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Are they comfortable?

How about the Sennheiser PX 100-II?

Are they a significant improvement?

Not everyone finds the iGrados comfortable. I didn't but I don't like street style phones in general. I don't think there have been major reviews of the PX100-II yet.

If comfort is a prime concern you may want to look at the Denon D1001k or Creative Aurvana Live!. I think they can be had around $85.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back