I have a Xonar DGX for my HE-500. Do I need a better DAC?
Jan 23, 2013 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SgtFarva

New Head-Fier
Do I need to upgrade to a DAC?

My setup:
- HiFiMAN HE-500
- Schiit Lyr
- Asus Xonar DGX

I have my eyes on a Schiit Bifrost but I have serious doubts that it will improve the sound like my amp did, although the improvement was small.

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 6
I'll be in the same exact boat as you soon also, only I have the STX which I hear is pretty much the same DAC. So count that as 2 people interested.

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I'll be in the same exact boat as you soon also, only I have the STX which I hear is pretty much the same DAC. So count that as 2 people interested.

The DAC in your Essence STX (PCM1792A) should be a fair bit better then the Xonar DGX's DAC (CS4245).

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Do I need to upgrade to a DAC?

My setup:
- HiFiMAN HE-500
- Schiit Lyr
- Asus Xonar DGX

I have my eyes on a Schiit Bifrost but I have serious doubts that it will improve the sound like my amp did, although the improvement was small.

The Xonar DGX's CS4245 DAC is not an award winning DAC chip, but it seems half-way decent.
I guess you could say...Do you want a better DAC?
DAC improvement is whatever your willing to spend.
Is your current setup for music? gaming? movies?

If your into gaming, the Titanium HD comes with a good DAC and op-amps and sells for $109 at J&R
And you can plug your Schiit Lyr straight into the Titanium HD.
http://www.jr.com/a/pe/CLN_SB1270?SiteID=izWMWx*IVSU-vl2rqtZ%2FtEwc%2FbFMbRPtbQ&JRSource=linkshare

If all you really do is 2-channel music audio, then get the Schiit Modi DAC.

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 6
I listen to mostly electronica (progessive house, liquid drum and bass, and trance),for games like dota 2 and starcraft 2, and of course movies.

Sound quality is very important to me and therefore I have bought the He-500 which I believe has gotten me 80%. The amp 10% 

I don't know if i can justify spending +$350 for a better DAC for an upgrade that would be barely noticeable. Ya reckon the modi would make an audible difference?

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I listen to mostly electronica (progessive house, liquid drum and bass, and trance),for games like dota 2 and starcraft 2, and of course movies.

Sound quality is very important to me and therefore I have bought the He-500 which I believe has gotten me 80%. The amp 10% 

I don't know if i can justify spending +$350 for a better DAC for an upgrade that would be barely noticeable. Ya reckon the Modi would make an audible difference?

If your into movies, then I think you would want headphone surround sound, so get the Titanium HD.
If you ok with 2-channel stereo audio for movies, then the Modi is fine.

I have not used the Modi, but so far it seems well like by those that do own it.
The DAC chip used in the Modi is the same DAC chip that is used in $250 sound cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back