I have a question regarding tags on my FLAC files.
Jan 20, 2015 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ZMan2k2

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a lot of files, and I rip them using dbPoweramp. Some files, when played on my Fiio X3, display simply "##- song name.flac", while others display "##- band name - song name.flac". How difficult would it be to remove the band name from the display, so all I have is the song name. I'd rather not rip my whole collection again.

And what settings do I use in dbPoweramp so as to only have the song name display in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 11
Download a free program called mp3tag (it works for many formats, not just mp3). With it you can add or remove tags, and rename the files according to the tags or file names. You could also do it in foobar2000, and probably many other softwares that I am not aware of.

It looks like your player is just displaying the file names, so in dbPoweramp you should change the file naming pattern. I don't know how exactly to do that. If you have any questions about using mp3tag to format the file names and tags of the ones you already ripped, I can probably answer them.

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 11
What you probably want to do is a tag to file name conversion, and maybe a file name to tag conversion if they aren't already tagged.

If the title and track number tags are already there, you can use tag to file name. Select the files and do convert > tag - filename. The format string if you want to rename all the files to be like this "%% - songname.flac" would be:
$num(%track%,2) - %title%
The $num part is just to make tracks 1-9 be displayed with a leading zero.

If they aren't tagged with the track and title, you can use convert > filename - tag. For all the files that are in "##- band name - song name.flac" format, the format string would be:
%track%- %artist% - %title%
Then use the tag - filename conversion to rename them.

Mp3tag allows you to preview so you can make sure your format strings work before making the conversion. As cel4145 said, it's a good idea to make a backup as well.

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 11
Okay, I'll give it a try. Basically, what I have now is "##-artist name-track name". What I'm trying to accomplish, is remove the artist name from the tag, because I already know which artist it is, I already chose the album!

Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know how it goes.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 11
Well, I spent 2 hours playing with mp3tag, and I found my issue wasn't possible to fix with it.

The tags in my music are fine, they display on my Marantz receiver perfectly, all of it shows up properly.  The issue with the X3 is that is uses the actual filename as the display for the name of the song.  No matter what I did, I couldn't remove the band name from the filename, and just have the song title display.  So, I uninstalled mp3tag, and went at it old school.  I did a "right-click, rename" of all my albums that had the band name in the filename.  Took about a day and a half.  Got her done though.  Now I have to play with dbPoweramp, and see if I can prevent it from putting the artist name in the filename of the song, so that I don't have to go through this EVER AGAIN!

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 11
  Well, I spent 2 hours playing with mp3tag, and I found my issue wasn't possible to fix with it.

The tags in my music are fine, they display on my Marantz receiver perfectly, all of it shows up properly.  The issue with the X3 is that is uses the actual filename as the display for the name of the song.  No matter what I did, I couldn't remove the band name from the filename, and just have the song title display.  So, I uninstalled mp3tag, and went at it old school.  I did a "right-click, rename" of all my albums that had the band name in the filename.  Took about a day and a half.  Got her done though.  Now I have to play with dbPoweramp, and see if I can prevent it from putting the artist name in the filename of the song, so that I don't have to go through this EVER AGAIN!

I told you exactly how to do that automatically in mp3tag, did you not try the tag - filename conversion that I suggested in my last response?

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 11
I did.  I never changed anything.  I still had the same filename when the conversion was over.  I tried it with mp3's, FLAC, even ALAC files, and it never changed the filename.  I don't know, maybe I did it wrong.  That's probably what happened, but I'll never know.  

I did figure out on dbPoweramp how to change the filenaming when ripping CD's, so I will not have to do it again.  

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 11
That's very strange. It should apply the changed file names when you hit OK on the convert. My first thought was that maybe you had to save the changes afterwards, but I just tried it myself and no, you only have to save when editing the tags. Maybe you just didn't select the tracks, you have to highlight the ones you want to convert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back