I have a question about some of my dads 15-20 year old equipment.
Jan 11, 2009 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Apple254

100+ Head-Fier
Since I have taken a rather large interest in audio equipment, I too took an interest in my fathers Hif-Fi. (which he has had since before I was born)

I was just wondering if anyone had heard of Cyrus Audio? Because he has an amp and a power supply for the amp and they look fairly descent. The amp is not a dedicated headphone amp but it does have 1/8" and 1/4" headphone ports on it.

The amp is called a 'Cyrus Two' and the power supply is a 'Cyrus PSX.' I believe they are a British company so if there are any Americans, don't be surprised if you have NEVER EVER heard of them
L3000.gif

Any information would be really cool
L3000.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 13
The Cyrus 2 sold quite well in North America.
I still have a Cyrus 2 and PSX Power supply in a box somewhere.
I haven't used it in a few years but it is good kit.
Surprising amount of power and detail and good looks.
I don't recall if the headphone jack was any good.

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 13
Unfortunately its not mine to take...

But yes, I plugged my headphones in and to be honest I noticed no difference whatsoever. I do not know whether its because the headphone port is crap or if my headphones are just even worse. But when he is done with it.....ITS MINE
biggrin.gif
He has some pretty decent speakers with the equipment so I guess I could just use them to drive the speakers rather than headphones...

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated!
L3000.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 13
The Cyrus CD 6 SE looks really nice. I wonder how it sounds?

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple254 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you still use it?

Not at the moment. I plan to make a setup with it and a NAD CD player for my K340 (via the speaker terminals).

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #12 of 13
Cyrus amps were originally made by Mission (the speaker manufacturers) in the 1970's and early 1980's. Mission was trying to branch out into the rest of the audio chain with amplifiers, turntables. cartridges, and tonearms. They were considered a step up from NAD, on par with A&R Cambridge and slightly below Audiolab. In the British tradition, power ratings were very conservative. They're good stuff with a good phono stage. Here's a link to a review you may find interesting.
HI-FI WORLD - OLDE WORLDE - MISSION CYRUS TWO AMPLFIER

Users who are viewing this thread

Back