I have a Phonesuit battery case on my iPhone need a LOD with a micro usb port to 1/8" cable
Jul 15, 2012 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

phunkfarm

New Head-Fier
Not to be confused, my definition of "micro USB"  is the flat Motorola type charging standard, not "mini USB" which looks like a trapezoid.

By the way, I have a Alpine deck in my car and I replaced my iPhone cable from my head unit to a Motorola cable and have perfect audio and charging just as the iPhone cable would behave.

I've been looking for weeks for a cable to use with my portable amp where I don't have to take my iPhone out of my case.

Does anyone know where I can find such a cable in a quality build or tell me who can make me one?

Jul 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 3
Micro USB is only for charging and syncing.  To have audio output you have to use the actual dock connector of the iPhone.  Pins 3, 4, 11, and 15 handle the actual raw audio output - left, right, and ground - that is what all audio LODs do.  Micro USB is only engaging pins 16, 23, 25, 27 for voltage and data.  

That case is super sick!  But since it traps your iPhone in there so that you only have access to its USB and not its audio, your only option for the car would be to get a Cypher labs algorhythm solo or a Fostex HP-P1 and then hook it up with a microUSB cable, then use the built in DAC in those units to send an analog audio output to the car stereo.  You can't take the USB data/power directly to an analog audio signal, there has to be a DAC in there somewhere.  When you use a traditional LOD you are using the built in DAC inside the iPhone, but you are bypassing the headphone amp circuitry that the headphone jack uses.  

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 3
im not calling you a liar but 100% i can tell you that when i hook up the Phonesuit via micro, it passes audio, syncs and charges.

How? I don't know,  Is the signal the same as the LOD signal?  I don't know.  All i can say is that when the cable isn't attached, my only audio option is bluetooth.  When I attach the cable, the iPod icon magically appears and supersedes the bluetooth connection  (there is no iPod icon to choose when the physical cable attachment isn't made).

Moreover, with this new iPod connection, the track names and album pictures are displayed, unlike the bluetooth connection which only passes a lower quality audio with the only option to play/pause adv/back track.

Based on this new info I am providing you, what could this mean in terns of whats passing through the pins?  There must be some form of USB audio passed through the sync signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back