I have a headphone doppelganger...well almost
Aug 12, 2002 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Magicthyse

Better to look good than to sound good!
[size=xx-small] You know, I spend far too much time here... I was even VPN'ing in to my home server to access the site on my way back home. How sad is that? Very. [/size]

Anyway, there's this oriental bloke I see every now and again at the station I change at.

He's always got these ultra-flashy mountain bikes with him, and he's always got something clamped to his head, phone-wise.

So far, I've spotted him with an EX70, a V700DJ, an RP-FDA100 (which was turning some heads I can tell you), and an Eggo,.. Also so far, I've seen him unearth an MD-MT821, and something with a Sony backlit remote. See what I'm getting at?

And I've only seen him about maybe a half dozen times so far.

Then I saw him again today. Guess what he had - an Audio-Technica ATH-A100Ti. I could not believe my eyes. This is London - what are the chances of seeing someone else who has an ATH-AXXX series, and what's more, what are the chances of seeing someone with such incredible (almost) commonality in eargear?

Aug 12, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 15
You know, if only that wasn't London you're in, I very well might be the guy.

Minus the ATH-A100Ti, of course
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 15
It was a good idea to have that mirror installed there...
wink.gif

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 13, 2002 at 12:19 PM Post #5 of 15
oh no, just something like holding your nose and nodding to the person... Sounds pretty amazing though, magicthyse!!

Aug 13, 2002 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 15
We should all have our special identification. As for me, I shall be known by the ninja sword I carry which has a CD hanging off the hilt, with 'EREQ' written all over it
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 13, 2002 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 15
If I see him with a Beyer now, I'll believe in the X-Files...
biggrin.gif

One day, I might just ask him about his phones... I'm afraid of appearing creepy though...

While I was picking up the HD212's, I saw the RP-FDA100's in the shop as well... They look really good - Pity they're open.

Aug 13, 2002 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 15
I actually saw someone a couple of times on my train that had the B & O earbuds. And it was a total shock to see it was a girl!
eek.gif
I have a pair of these and they sound pretty good to me.

Aug 13, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 15
A universal Head-Fi sign -- if you see someone staring at your rig/headphone setup, double tap your left phone, then double tap your right phone with your hands. Or just pick up a Head-Fi tote back and be done with the Mason-like secrecy.
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 15
while waiting outside a show at cbgb's in nyc on sunday, i saw a kid walk by with a messenger bag and a pair of hd280's around his neck. this is the first time i've ever seen anybody with a decent pair of headphones on in public. i was quite impressed.

Aug 13, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 15
Guess why he wasn't actually wearing them...?

Aug 14, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #12 of 15
I'd say, why don't you try, um, redecorating the exterior of the AT phone if that's the only thing you don't like about it
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 14, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #13 of 15
I have considered taking a hammer to flatten the 'buns'. My wallet - and my ears - persuaded me against it
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2002 at 9:29 AM Post #14 of 15
Doppelganger alert! Don't touch him! Both of you may just go POOF! and two sets of cans will be all that's left on the platform.
Man, I ain't heard the word doppelganger since like the seventh grade when I read Madeline L'engle's A Wrinkle in Time.
On another note: He wears his AT's in public!
Hmmmmmmmmm
md

Aug 14, 2002 at 11:24 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
On another note: He wears his AT's in public!
Hmmmmmmmmm
md

Exactly... The A100's didn't look that great on the head. It looked a little geeky to be honest.

Well - at the very least I have a closed 'inside' phone which is far more enjoyable than the HD280. Which reminds me, time to get rid of the HD280...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back