I have a few questions regarding speakers and amplifers and power ratings.
Mar 3, 2018 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hansen4200

New Head-Fier
Hello Headfi people nice to be here :)

So i have a few questions since i'm pretty new at all this hifi stuff.

So my setup is like this.

Pc ->
Dac (cambridge audio dac magic plus) ->
Nad stereo preamplifer 1155 ->
Nad stereo power amplifer 2200 ->
Cerwin vega cls-215 (a pair)

So my question is sometimes when i play at low volume my speakers cut out till i give them more power
but after giving them some power im able to turn them down to the desired volume without them cutting out for maybe a few hours then i would have to do it again im very confused why its happening. :/

I have been switching up the cables and it seems to be random with speaker cut out ( they never both cut out at the same time)

My 2nd question is
I have this nad 2200 and im not sure if its enough to drive my cls-215 speakers to max so ive been thinking i have 1 more nad 2200 amp laying around and its not being used can i somehow make them work toghter to bridge them to my speakers? reason why i dont just bridge the one im using its cuz its 2 channel whick would only cover 1 speaker and since i have 2 i would be sad.
What would you guys do i my situation?

Greeting from Newcommer Hansen4200
and thanks for reading!

Mar 3, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 5
There's a problem with the amps. Check the speakers' impedance and the minimum impedance load on the amps. If the speakers are a lower nominal impedance, that's the likely problem. If both are at 4ohms, there's still a chance the speaker dips below 4ohms in some frequencies. I wouldn't try bridging without checking this first since bridged amps will usually handle twice the minimum recommended impedance when running in stereo.

That or there's something wrong with the amp already, if not the speakers, and you need to get those checked.

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 5
There's a problem with the amps. Check the speakers' impedance and the minimum impedance load on the amps. If the speakers are a lower nominal impedance, that's the likely problem. If both are at 4ohms, there's still a chance the speaker dips below 4ohms in some frequencies. I wouldn't try bridging without checking this first since bridged amps will usually handle twice the minimum recommended impedance when running in stereo.

That or there's something wrong with the amp already, if not the speakers, and you need to get those checked.

so i cheaked up on the equipment and learned that the Nad 2200 amplifer should be able to handle 4ohm to 8ohm and the speakers itself is rated at 8ohm to so they should be a perfect match?

the speakers can handle 500watt Peak (8ohm)
and the amplifer runs 100watt rms into 8ohm stereo.
The speakers have been in a room with smoke a few years ago, should that effect the speakers so that it might make a problem for the connection?

Also i want to thanks you for taking your time reading :)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 5
so i cheaked up on the equipment and learned that the Nad 2200 amplifer should be able to handle 4ohm to 8ohm and the speakers itself is rated at 8ohm to so they should be a perfect match?

According to specs there shouldn't be a problem but find a tech and have the amp, preamp, and speakers diagnosed anyway. Unless you want to go and replace them one by one to figure out which one is causing the problem. Or just replace them all in one go.

The speakers have been in a room with smoke a few years ago, should that effect the speakers so that it might make a problem for the connection?

If by smoke you mean "cigarette," no. If you mean "call the fire department," maybe. Open the speakers and remove the drivers and crossovers. Check all wirings if all contacts and shielding are fine, for all you know they're shorting and will damage the amp (if they haven't already done that).

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 5
According to specs there shouldn't be a problem but find a tech and have the amp, preamp, and speakers diagnosed anyway. Unless you want to go and replace them one by one to figure out which one is causing the problem. Or just replace them all in one go.

If by smoke you mean "cigarette," no. If you mean "call the fire department," maybe. Open the speakers and remove the drivers and crossovers. Check all wirings if all contacts and shielding are fine, for all you know they're shorting and will damage the amp (if they haven't already done that).

thanks a lot i will go to my local hifi shop and get them cheaked out :) have a nice sunday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back