I have a dilemma...
Jul 7, 2012 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jjacq

Playing Upgraditis Mania
My desk is one of those foldable outdoor desks(pic below) and I really don't like how rough it is. I was thinking of getting a yoga mat to cover it with but my friend said it's a bit sticky and I won't be able to use my mouse although I was planning to use it with a mousepad anyway. I'm trying to figure out what material to cover it with and I've never really seen anything else that's less than $20 that I want to use.

I was looking at antistatic mats(way out of budget); desk mats(out of budget too); and even cloth(which will probably be really bad).

Can anyone help? What should I wrap my desk top of? I'd like to have it smooth enough that it's almost like glass maybe.

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 11
I would look for a vinyl pad used on drafting & architecture tables.  Vyco is one of the brand names - but it might be over your budget.  Maybe  you can find a generic alternative.

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 11
The easy solution, which I use at home, is a towel. I have a mousepad for my mouse, and everything else just sits on it. Nothing rolls around and if I'm inclined to take my equipment apart, I can throw the thing right in the washing machine. I'd suggest this over something like a square sheet or raw fabric because you'll probably get better life out of it, and (in the case of raw fabric) it won't sheer or fray.

Another solution would be a blotter, go to some place like Staples for that. You might need two to cover the entire table.

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 11
Hrm the towel sounds pretty convincing, I think if I get a decent cloth that's solid enough to stick to the table then I should be good right?

the vinyl pad, I've seen it on eBay for $20 which isn't bad but I'm not sure about the size.

Thanks for the replies!

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 11
I don't know, my towels don't "stick" to the table, but they're weighted down by a bunch of gear (two monitors, speakers, external optical drive, amp, lamps, etc; the one on my TV table has 200 lbs of glass on it, that kind of thing). Absolutely would get a mouse-pad/mouse-mat to put on top though, or it'll be dreadful.

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 11
How about getting a cheap vinyl tablecloth? As for the mouse, an optical mouse can use almost any flat surface as long as it has a slight bit of texture. I even used a sheet of paper as a mousepad for an optical mouse.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 11
How about gluing some cork over the top. I believe it is available in rolls in addition to squares.....my 2 cents

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
My desk is one of those foldable outdoor desks(pic below) and I really don't like how rough it is. I was thinking of getting a yoga mat to cover it with but my friend said it's a bit sticky and I won't be able to use my mouse although I was planning to use it with a mousepad anyway. I'm trying to figure out what material to cover it with and I've never really seen anything else that's less than $20 that I want to use.

I was looking at antistatic mats(way out of budget); desk mats(out of budget too); and even cloth(which will probably be really bad).

Can anyone help? What should I wrap my desk top of? I'd like to have it smooth enough that it's almost like glass maybe.

Jjacq, greetings!

Here's a creative suggestion I'd like to make. Look up a company that will shrink-wrap your desk with their product or promotion. Well, you'd have to "Sell it" as they say. But give them a reason why they should do it - you have meetings (business/social) at your place, high exposure for them. 

If successful, this arrangement would provide you with both the smooth surface you seek and perhaps a little income or perk. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #10 of 11
Jjacq, The towel option seems to be the best one. It's cotton. It's washable. It can be changed out with a different color/pattern to suit your taste. It's your call of course. My money's on the towel. EarHead1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back