I have a couple P3+ Heron / General OpAmp rolling noob questions.
Jul 20, 2009 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JCtheMC

New Head-Fier
Today i've received my P3+, and although i understand the basics of opamp rolling, reading these forums and the lack of an extensive manual with the P3 has left me somewhat mystified...

When i say i understand the basics of rolling, i mean _basics_ - the part where i stick these small chips in my P3 to alter its sound. Honestly, i have no idea what these things do or are capable of - my question being here: is there a website or book i can read to get properly introduced to opamps, rolling and the related terminology? I've tried some googling, but i haven't had much luck so far.

My second question is, What on earth is this thing called, and what do i do with the 2 that came with my P3 (i took this picture from a thread on the forums, obviously the ones that came with my P3 don't have the wire soldered on them): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ummyopamps.jpg
dummyopamps.jpg

Third, what is Buffer Stacking, what are its effects and how do i do it?

And last but not least; could you recommend me some combinations for the opamps that came with the P3?

I'm sorry if i posted this thread in the wrong forum, or if it's bad form to post another thread about a product that already has a thread running. I'm a noob when it comes to head-fi too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 5
The device shown in the picture is a "dummy" opamp, its purpose is to bypass the buffer stage, as some opamps sound better without the use of buffers. You can also use them to bypass the ground stage as well.

Buffer stacking refers to the practice of using 2 buffers, one soldered on top of the other. IMO, I would suggest not attempting that until you get very comfortable with opamp soldering skills. The purpose of stacked buffers is to increase output current, of which the P3 has plenty without stacking.

The diagram sheet included with the P3/P3+ is quite informative, just orient according to the diagrams. Note that some opamps are single-channel, and require 2, whereas some are dual-channel and only one is required.

As each user has different hearing, my suggestion is to just try various combinations of opamps/buffers/ground and see what sounds best to your ear.

The only real caveat when changing opamps is to make sure the polarity is correct. There is an indication of the correct polarity, marked either by a small dot on the opamp, and/or by a small notch in the end of the opamp. Some of iBassos adapters are marked by a small white square around the #1 pin.

Note carefully the orientation of the stock opamps prior to removing, then insert the others in the same manner, avoiding pressing down directly on the opamp. Instead, press gently around the edges to avoid possible damage to the fragile solder joints on the adapters. Quote:

Originally Posted by JCtheMC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today i've received my P3+, and although i understand the basics of opamp rolling, reading these forums and the lack of an extensive manual with the P3 has left me somewhat mystified...

When i say i understand the basics of rolling, i mean _basics_ - the part where i stick these small chips in my P3 to alter its sound. Honestly, i have no idea what these things do or are capable of - my question being here: is there a website or book i can read to get properly introduced to opamps, rolling and the related terminology? I've tried some googling, but i haven't had much luck so far.

My second question is, What on earth is this thing called, and what do i do with the 2 that came with my P3 (i took this picture from a thread on the forums, obviously the ones that came with my P3 don't have the wire soldered on them): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ummyopamps.jpg
dummyopamps.jpg

Third, what is Buffer Stacking, what are its effects and how do i do it?

And last but not least; could you recommend me some combinations for the opamps that came with the P3?

I'm sorry if i posted this thread in the wrong forum, or if it's bad form to post another thread about a product that already has a thread running. I'm a noob when it comes to head-fi too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the help Ron, i still have a lot of questions, but i'll just keep reading the forums.

Do i just place the empty Dummy Adapter in the socket, or could i also fit another opamp on top of it for added effect?

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by JCtheMC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the help Ron, i still have a lot of questions, but i'll just keep reading the forums.

Do i just place the empty Dummy Adapter in the socket, or could i also fit another opamp on top of it for added effect?

The dummy adapter is to be used by itself to bypass the signal from LR thru the buffer stage to the output.

Don't attempt to stack something on top of it.

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 5
Just as a suggestion to try something different, try both AD797s in LR with BUF634 in place of the stock buffers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back