I hate this new hobby (not)
Feb 2, 2010 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

marckuypers

New Head-Fier
Recently I received my new Ibasso D2+ Boa.
So in short this is my current setup

Cowon S9
Sennheiser IE8
Elite TWag with Viablue (not received yet)
Ibasso D2+ Boa

After reading around a lot on this forum I noticed that the name Ray Samuels and Meier Audio were mentioned a lot. So I contacted both of them. Jan said that the difference in replacing the Ibasso with an XXS of his wouldn´t be that big. Ray Samuels told me that if I get a P51 Mustang of his I would never look back again. Although that would come with a price tag of 435 incl. shipping to the Netherlands.

What do you guys think? Will the difference if I replace the amp for an RSA or a Meier audio one be huge?

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 16
Looks like a nice portable rig, and great to hear that you do not hate this new hobby.
Sorry about your wallet!
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 16
I have an RSA Hornet and although the battery life is not that great, I don't think I will ever need another portable amp that cost more than $100, although the only other portable amp I have and heard is The E5,which I got later just to try out.

Feb 2, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 16
So: I guess there really is no need in upgrading then right?
I mean: I keep hearing positive feedback about my rig
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by marckuypers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
… I contacted both of them. Jan said that the difference in replacing the Ibasso with an XXS of his wouldn´t be that big. Ray Samuels told me that if I get a P51 Mustang of his I would never look back again. …

Quote:

So: I guess there really is no need in upgrading then right?
I mean: I keep hearing positive feedback about my rig
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy your set up, what else would you expect the owner of RSA to say and I commend Jan's honesty. BTW you might want to read this thread.

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Jan said that the difference in replacing the Ibasso with an XXS of his wouldn´t be that big. Ray Samuels told me that if I get a P51 Mustang of his I would never look back again.

Shows a lot about the business tactics, advertising, modesty and honesty of some people. You see the different approaches also when you read their respective websites, what words they use to describe their amps' qualities.

Go with whatever you feel comfortable - in my opinion the difference between amps, or between amped and unamped is never "huge", but quite subtle. Especially with phones like the IE8.

My Headsix/XXS removes the background hiss of the S9 with the IE8 and improves a bit on crosstalk, but other than that there's not really a lot of improvement. (I do assume the iBasso does hiss with the IE8, just like every Chinese amp I ever heard?)

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 16
To tell u the truth: i don't hear that much hiss. My Fiio E5, now that's hiss
smily_headphones1.gif

And u guys are absolutely right. I should just listen to music with my setup and not bother any more in upgrading it. I mean: it sounds great as it is, so what's there to upgrade ?

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 16
I just got a message from Jan Meier. He told me to wait another three months. He's got something special coming up, but wouldn't say more
smily_headphones1.gif

That makes my decision a lot easier
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Jan. The next amp I am gonna buy will be from you
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 16
Don't buy stuff just for getting better sound quality. If you don't think anything is WRONG about what you're hearing there's no need for it. I mean you only have IEMs and u expect it to be worthwhile buying another portable amp for what, im sure that project of his is gonna be pretty expensive. If you don't think anything is wrong with it, there's nothing to fix. When there's nothing to fix, just "improve", then it's a waste of money imo.

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 16
Replacing something you already have may not be the best investment for you right now. I noticed you don't have a full size headphone so maybe your time and money would be better served in that area.

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #14 of 16
Replacing the d2 with the P51 won't be too much of an improvement. TBH the Cowon by itself is satisfactory for me, but if you are fine with carrying an amp around the D2 should do fine.

I rather save up for custom IEMs with that money.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 16
hmm new jan amp, maybe i should wait... hmmmm just when the headsix was lookin real good for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back