I hate my Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Oct 3, 2003 at 3:06 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
rear-ported speakers are generally to be avoided unless you have a dedicated listening room, or are going to mount them on stands in the middle of a room, either get sealed speakers (acoustic suspension) or front-ported ones, otherwise they'll sound bad.

My rear-ported Acoustic Energy Aegis One bookshelf speakers ($135/pr overstock) sound surprisingly great, even without stands (on a *very* solid bureau, with paving stone decoupling), even pretty close to the wall (>10 cm).

--Chris

Oct 3, 2003 at 4:07 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
rear-ported speakers are generally to be avoided unless you have a dedicated listening room, or are going to mount them on stands in the middle of a room, either get sealed speakers (acoustic suspension) or front-ported ones, otherwise they'll sound bad.

Unfortunately, both sealed speakers and front-ported speakers are of a dying breed. Sealed speakers have fallen out of favor among today's speaker manufacturers, except at the extreme low end and the extreme high end. And only a few manufacturers (e.g. PSB, Bose, JBL) still use front ports on many if not all of their speaker models. Most, if not all, mainstream speakers these days have rear ports.

Oct 3, 2003 at 9:53 AM Post #18 of 34
This is a bedroom system
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe there is some kind of wall mounting and directioning gear that would work fine? I'd *really* like to have them positioned higher up and without a stand.
If that's impossible though, any speaker suggestions?

I want it to be definitely 2.0, a subwoofer shaking a bedroom is truly evil. I like detail and bass (quality, sexy bass ... not BOOM shake your room bass, that's also one of the reasons I hate the Klipsch 2.1)... bright is bad also. And most importantly... impact. I want to feel the music, that's why I even want to buy a speaker setup. It's pretty hard to find something ideal because I mainly listen to classical and metal. Ideas?

Thanks, all of you who have helped thus far
600smile.gif

Oct 3, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #20 of 34
I don't think a budget for the amp and the speakers were ever mentioned. But I will put down my humble opinions....

You can get a pretty good integrated amp like the Cambridge Audio A300 v.2 for $200.00. No remote or phono input, but according to what I read on the internet and here, it's a great little amp for the $$.

Another option is the Panasonic SA-XR25/45. Yes, they are A/V receivers with Dolby Digital/dts/Dolby Pro-Logic II. But what set them apart are the digital amps inside. There's a buzz over the internet about how good these receivers sound; "Tube-like" was one of the terms used. Both under $300.00.

You may want to check out the Polk Audio RTi28/RTi38. These are very nice bookshelf speakers that are being marked down because a new line is coming out. While they are rear-ported, Polk Audio has designed a build-in wall bracket over the rear port. So at least wall-mounting was considered in the design of the speakers. The RTi28 can be had for $200.00/pair and the RTi38 should be under $300.00/pair.

You may also try the Energy C-1 and the NHT SB1/SB2. The Energy is front-ported while the NHT's are sealed designs. Both of them contain a thread in the back for wall-mounting. I got my Energy C-1 for $275.00/pair. The NHT SB2, for example, should be under $400.00/pair.

Oct 3, 2003 at 9:44 PM Post #21 of 34
Great ideas soundboy!

As for budget... stretching it BAD I'm willing to use $400 for an amp and $400 for speakers (although I'd prefer to use only up to $250 in speakers, but if I find something that perfectly fits my needs for up to $400, I'll get it).

If they're sealed, it means I can hang them in the wall higher up?

I'm *almost* getting used to the idea of using stands but if hanging in the wall is an option, yay.

Priority of course is sound quality, as this will be my first real half decent speaker setup (been doing headphones only forever now).

Thanks

Oct 3, 2003 at 9:56 PM Post #22 of 34
If sound quality is of priority, then I would put the speakers on good quality stands. I really don't think any of the speakers I mentioned would sound their best mounted on the wall. Even the Polks.

The sealed (or acoustic suspension) design is just one kind of design in speaker building. Generally, a sealed design is less efficient (takes more power to reach the same volume as a ported design) but bass response is tighter. However, ported designs are very good nowadays, and with the popularity of home theater, ported designs is now the dominant design out there. It's just different methods of speaker design, that's all.

For the best sound quality, the tweeter should be at ear level, no matter how far you are from the speakers. However, everyone's hearing is different, so some may like their speakers lower than ear level, and some higher. It's all come down to your listening preferences. There's no right or wrong.

I believe all the models I mentioned are good quality equipment. I've owned the Polk Audio RT25i, which was the predecessor of the RTi28, and like it a lot. Even though I currently own the Energy C-1, I am keeping an eye out for Polk's new line, which will offer bi-wire/bi-amp capability even on their $260.00/pair bookshelf model.

Oct 3, 2003 at 10:42 PM Post #23 of 34
It seems there's no helping it and I'll have to settle for the stands. Oh well, I'll just make sure they stay far from me, one of the strongest reasons for me to dislike desktop speakers (besides being ****ty) is how they fire directly at you... gives me a headache in no time.

I take it stands are optimal for "filling" the room with music, then?

I think that the sealed ones might be optimal then since I *absolutely* don't want a subwoofer?

Other speakers I've been looking into are the JBL Control 1X and the Athena Technology Audition AS-B1, any idea on how those compare to the ones you mentioned?

I'm so clueless about speakers it's not even funny!
Thanks for the advice!
600smile.gif

Oct 3, 2003 at 10:57 PM Post #24 of 34
I've heard very good things about Athena Technolgies speakers....they are from the same company that makes Energy and Mirage speakers. Here's a review of the Athena Technologies AS-B1, which was selected as one of Soundstage's Reviewer's Choice components. I think the Energy C-1 has better parts and certainly the NHT SB series is better looking, at least to my eyes. But these speakers are more expensive the the Athena's. For the price, the only competition for them would be the Paradigm Atom.

The stands only support the speakers. However, good stands can make a good bookshelf speaker sound better. Most people buy metal stands, and fill the inside with sand or lead shots to weigh it down. You want to provide a good foundation for your speakers to rest on.

A subwoofer can enhance the bass response of any speaker, bookshelf or floorstanding and sealed or ported. How much bass you want depends on your listening preference. Also, the room where you will put the speakers will play an important part on how they sound.

Go out and listen to these speakers. Do not look at the specs because they really don't tell you how they sound. More expensive speakers don't mean better sound quality. Once you narrow down your choices, then listen to them more. If you can, try them out at your home. And use music you are familiar with.

Oct 4, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #25 of 34
I've been reading reviews since yesterday and thus far the Athena Technologies AS-B2 sound interesting, as they're supposed to be pretty efficient bass-wise and a subwoofer is a HUGE no no.

I'll try to listen to some of these speakers before making a decision.

This is for a small room (my bedroom) and I don't get along with bright sound, so I guess all those mentioned are adequate, right?

Thanks for all the advice.
600smile.gif

Oct 4, 2003 at 9:53 PM Post #26 of 34
You will probably read that metal tweeters are bright. However, the aluminum dome tweeter in both the Energy C-1 and the NHT SB2 sounded very smooth and warm to my ears. The general concensus is that soft dome tweeters are warmer sounding. Check out Polk Audio's bookshelf speakers in that case. Excellent speakers as well.

Bright sounding or not depends on your amp as well. A/V receivers gnerally sound bright. Integrated amps or separates will sound smoother and much better.

For a small room, all the speakers I mentioned should be fine. Listen with your own ears and make up your own mind. Don't let the brand or the price change your mind if they sound good to you.

Oct 4, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #27 of 34
Eh, this is not a good discussion to have in a headphone forum. I have the PM4.1's and do indeed use them for rock listening when I get the chance. I think they're excellent MM speakers myself. Anyway, what I have to contribute to this discussion is that the Titanium dust-coated dome tweeters are only found on the PM5.1 and PM5.1-Ultra models and not on the PM2.1 and PM4.1 models. I don't like the coated tweeters at all, they take veiled highs and veil them even more.

If you want better sound from MM speakers, I really don't know what to say.

Also, for the best effect, the speakers should be far away from your ears (so the horns will work) and should be at ear level. Also, cornerload the sub, those things sound horrible if they're not positioned properly. Much better extension when cornerloaded. Check out the Klipsch forums I'm on for more tips on how to properly use your PM's.

Oct 7, 2003 at 10:18 PM Post #28 of 34
MD1032, I don't want better sound out of MM speakers, that's the whole point of this topic. I really did hate them, sold them away now. And they were properly setup.
Also, this part of the forum is perfectly fine for talking about speakers
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the suggestions though.

soundboy, thanks a lot for all the advice... I'm going to some hi-fi shops to audition speakers now ... I especially find the Athenas sexy
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2003 at 11:46 PM Post #29 of 34
Check these out....

ENERV21B_000.jpg

Originally $1,000.00/pair, now 50% off....click here for info.

I know these Energy's are above your budget, but these are serious hi-fi bookshelf speakers that are much better than anything in the "around $400.00" price range. And Audio Advisor ships worldwide.

Just another option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back