I hate my Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Oct 2, 2003 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Ymer

500+ Head-Fier
Yes, they just sound awful to me. They give me a headache after a bit. It's no fun listening to them at all! But then again, what's to expect out of desktop speakers...
How do I start building a semi-decent setup?
What do I need to buy first?
Thus far, all I have is my computer as a source (source can be left for later, receiver, speakers etc should take priority) a few headphones and a headphone amp (Creek OBH-11) so, basically, I have to start building from scratc and I have *no* clue what to look for.
I totally hate speakers which are ear heigh and shooting directly at me.
A music listening (2.0) setup is all I need.
Any opinions please?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 34
Your soundcard is fine (Terratec EWX 24/96)... your amp is fine, provided you're using an OBH-2 or Elpac WM080 regulated PS. Your headphones are fine (HD-580).

What's wrong with the sound you're getting? Not a sarcastic question, curious what you're hearing that isn't satisfying enough... you must have run into the wrong guy here, I'm asking this question instead of telling you how to spend your money...
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 34
Oh, you've got me wrong. I love the rest of the setup, just hate the speakers, stupid desktop speakers.
biggrin.gif

The goal atm is to get ok to decent speakers (since I really DO prefer headphones regardless of quality anyway) and since I'm doing that, start building a resonable system which can be expanded/upgraded later with ease.

I do love the headphones AND the amp (even though I am *still* using the original PS). I don't see me buying a new amp before I have *much* better sources. And I still didn't get the Elpac PS because I couldn't find a retailer that'd ship it here, maybe when someone from the family comes over or something I'll hog their luggage x_x

And btw, I love your methodology, not spending money = good.
600smile.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 34
Ymer: Well, your pc source is already fairly good - it will be difficult to get something better for cheap. Maybe a Panasonic DVD-S75. But I don't think you'll find a pcdp that does the job (refering to your other thread). Thus I'd recommend to concentrate on the amp and speakers, first. For the amp, I'd suggest to look for something in the Marantz PM7000, NAD C320BEE class. For the loudspeakers, there are so many options - if you're looking for a cheap, compact starter solution with magnetical shielding (for use near your computer monitor), I'd recommend the JBL Control 1G.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 2, 2003 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 34
lini: Actually, I *really* don't want them to be sitting next to my monitor. I want them to go either on the floor or higher up in the wall and fill the room with music. I really can't stand speakers firing directly at me from so close, also, I'm not too fond of too small speakers, imo they shrink the sound.

Thanks
600smile.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Ymer
Yes, they just sound awful to me. They give me a headache after a bit. It's no fun listening to them at all! But then again, what's to expect out of desktop speakers...

I auditioned the Klipsch in-home for a few weeks once, and I hated them too. I listen to a lot of piano music, and they made the pianos sound like MIDI keyboards rather than fine acoustic instruments. Several months later I auditioned some Klipsch floor-standing 3-way speakers, they did the same thing to pianos and bloated the bass. Horns, blech!

An integrated amp (like NAD 320BEE) and a pair of stand-mounted bookshelf speakers is probably the way to go.

--Chris

Oct 2, 2003 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 34
It's probably the high subwoofer crossover that kills the promedias, it is way too high (120hz).

Anyways, you can probably use your headamp as a preamp and get a poweramp, or an integrated. Then speakers. All depends on how much $$ you have.

Oct 3, 2003 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 34
On a budget
frown.gif

I think I'll just forget about getting a new source for now and concentrate on getting the 2.0 setup.

I am also totally clueless about this stuff, so:

1) NAD C320BEE vs. Marantz PM7000, which one should I get? Thus far I like the NAD since it's cheaper
wink.gif

2) Will I only need an AMP and the speakers and *boom* I'm ready to go?

3) Will I be able to have all sources going into the AMP and the AMP going into the Headphone AMP?

4) What kind of speakers should I look for? I would *really* like something wall mounted higher up or in the floor. Really don't want ear height stuff unless it's unavoidable.

Thanks for the Cooperation!

600smile.gif

Oct 3, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #9 of 34
1. they're both great...AC4L.com has a refurbished marantz pm7000 for $350

2. and cables....for speaker wire...don't buy anything fancy...generic 12 or 14g speaker wire from home depot or partsexpress.com will work fine

3. yeah, you'll use the line out on the integrated amp for the headphone amp

4. as chych said...it all depends on how much you wanna spend...

but...it isn't a good idea to place your speakers up against a wall and it isn't a good idea to place the tweeters high above ear level

Oct 3, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Ymer
How do I start building a semi-decent setup?
What do I need to buy first?
Thus far, all I have is my computer as a source (source can be left for later, receiver, speakers etc should take priority) a few headphones and a headphone amp (Creek OBH-11) so, basically, I have to start building from scratc and I have *no* clue what to look for.
I totally hate speakers which are ear heigh and shooting directly at me.
A music listening (2.0) setup is all I need.
Any opinions please?
smily_headphones1.gif

get a referbed H/K receiver from PC Mall (as long as you have sp/dif out of your card... otherwise you'll have to start there) and match it with some nice bookshelf speakers.

Oct 3, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 34
oh ok!
biggrin.gif

yup ear level for tweeters...

the reason for not putting speakers close to a wall is that it often makes the bass sound "boomy". of course some speakers are meant to be placed against a wall (klipschhorns) but i'm not aware of any great inexpensive bookshelves that are meant for that kind of placement. the "boomy" sound can be even worse if the speaker is rear ported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back