I hate my Denon D2000s
Jun 4, 2008 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

iKonoKlast

100+ Head-Fier
I've had the D2000 for a little over a month now, so too bad I can't return 'em. They've worked and sounded great until today, when they turned out to be a pain in the ass.

Despite looking and feeling sturdy, the D2000 are not built well. Ever since the first week I've had them, one of the earpads has been loose and falling off ever so often. Okay, that part's not too bad; it didn't irritate me too much.

But tonight, after listening to my D2000 in bed for a few minutes, I take them off (with the utmost care as always) to go to sleep, when lo and behold, one of the freakin ear cups COMPLETELY DETACHES FROM THE HEADBAND.

Now, I take extremely good care of all my items and when these headphones were not on my head in my room they have always been stored in a drawer. I am not at fault here. What is at fault is poor manufacturing and quality control. Upon close examination, the culprit was a loose screw and the damn thing is too tiny to work with any of my tools.

Just had to vent. And also draw away any potential Denon customers. The headphones sound great and I believed they were close to perfect, when I discovered tonight, they are far from it. I've never had any problems with any of the AKG, Sennheiser, and Grado headphones I've owned. Very disappointed with Denon. This is like reliving the nightmare I had with the Bose Triports long, long ago.

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 31
This is a known issue with the Denons. There was a big commotion about this issue back when they were the FOTM.
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 31
Whether I can or can't is irrelevant. Why does a premium product have such a glaring defect? From old threads, it really does seem like this issue is widespread... why hadn't I heard of this problem before?

And also, I have no idea how the whole warranty thing works... I've never shipped something and I guess I just don't know how that whole process works, pardon my ignorance. If I have to pay for shipping and handling to get this fixed, I will be doubly pissed off.

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #5 of 31
It's like having an issue with any product - contact them. Tell them what happened, be civil and see what happens. It is one of the reasons why people should fill out warranty forms whether online or mailing in a card. Sure it is a Marketing strategy but it also gives the company a means to contact you if there is a problem that needs to be fixed. Also, if enough people have to send in their product for warranty work it will show them there is a problem that needs to be dealt with.

In other words, Denon is the first place you should go to. Not here.

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 31
Thanks for the warning.

I had paid no attention to "the many screws" until you started this thread.

I've got a loose screw in the joint of one of my D5000 ear cups also.

Looks like a small jeweler's screwdriver will work fine - you can buy them at WalMart, or Home Depot.

Now... I just have to figure out how to reach it. I suppose I'll have to figure out how to remove the cups from their suspension hangers to access the screw to tighten it... before... it falls out... and... it's lost forever.

Did you find your screw, or did you lose it, when it fell out? If you lost it... you may also have to go to a good hardware store to find a screw that will work - but, I'm sure they have something.

It is a "pain" though.

By the way... the pictures of how to dissassemble the cups to access the screws for that joint are here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...7/index32.html

If you have the screw (or a replacement that will work) - you could either "follow the yellow brick road" in that thread to replace the screw... or... you could send them to "Markl" to repair (I'm sure he'd take care of it for you, possibly for just the cost of shipping to and from his location)... or... try and reach Denon to have them complete the repair. If you can find the right service center at Denon... and they commit to completing the repair for you... that might be fine. But... you may want to "learn" how to DIY - so you can keep them tight in the future. And... while you're at it... you can complete the "Markl Mods."

The Denons are too great... to allow this minor annoyance to "ruin them for you." The more I burn them in, and listen to them, compared to my other phones... the more I realize they are "very special phones"... especially... at their "bargain price."

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 31
Sorry if a bit OT, what's the approx size/type of the screw head? I'm about to order a pair of D2000s myself in a bit so I might go grab a fine tip screwdriver in advance like Gradofan mentioned.

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #9 of 31
Made in China for the win! *puts flame suit on*

anyway, a few people have resolved this issue by using a dab of loctite on the screw, yes it is outrageous that you need to do such a thing on such a pricey headphone, but if it makes you feel any better quite a few Grado cans have this issues as well :p

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whether I can or can't is irrelevant. Why does a premium product have such a glaring defect? From old threads, it really does seem like this issue is widespread... why hadn't I heard of this problem before?

you answered your own question.

the information was there, you just hadn't heard of it because you didn't do your homework
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with the falling of ear cups is that they used not very good glue to lock the nut which hold it. It can be fixed very easy in just few minutes. I fixed mine and never have any other problems again. How to fix you can find in the screw problems thread.

edit: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/den...-loose-248427/

Thanks for this thread... its "got the whole story."

Missed it... because it was a much earlier thread... and didn't think to search for it.

But... it makes it pretty clear - this is not an "issue" and can be quickly resolved.

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 31
Hey, the Denon AH-D2000 and AH-D5000 are Made in China. What did you expect ? I wanted to try and buy those headphones, but the minute I knew they are Chineese made, I forgot about that. The build quality is terrible and I would never pay more than 1$ for chineese made headphones. I avoid chineese made things as much as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whether I can or can't is irrelevant. Why does a premium product have such a glaring defect?

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, the Denon AH-D2000 and AH-D5000 are Made in China. What did you expect ? I wanted to try and buy those headphones, but the minute I knew they are Chineese made, I forgot about that. The build quality is terrible and I would never pay more than 1$ for chineese made headphones. I avoid chineese made things as much as possible.

Dear Philco........ if you say so...... are you sure you really not use and have any of chinese product?

In these day, almost all of consumer product are made in china.... or even a part of them must. And almost all of them working well......... yep...... i say almost, 'coz there are no perfect product....

About a Denon headphone issue...... i think it's not just about a build quality or a country of that headphone made, but more than something wrong in that headphone design itself...........

just my lill' 2 cent.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back