I HATE FRY'S!
Mar 20, 2010 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Raguvian

1000+ Head-Fier
Fry's really pisses me off. Their customer service has gone so far downhill in the last few years...

I saw the deal here for Super.Fi 5's for $70+tax after MIR, so I decided to go ahead and buy them on the 17th since the rebate ended the 18th. I also put in store pickup since I live about 5 minutes away from one.

I went in today to go get it, and not only did I have to wait 30 minutes for some guy to scrounge up the last set of headphones in the store, but I also had some cashier lady tell me in very, very broken English (who hires these people anyways?) that I can't get the $30 MIR since it's the 20th. I explained to her how I bought it on the 17th, but she finally comes around to telling me that Fry's doesn't actually charge your credit card online for in store pickups. They only charge your CC once you go into the store to pick it up. How does that make any sense? Online I had to fill out the entire credit card information form that you'd find from any online retailer, so I figured they would charge me then and then give me a receipt dated for the 17th when I went to pick it up.

This is BS. I ended up wasting a bunch of time and still ended up with no sweet IEM's. I was so excited to finally be able to go get them today, too.
frown.gif
I've gone to Fry's for years to buy electronics and the level of stupidity there now astounds me.

Sorry for the rant and if this is in the wrong forum, but seeing as I was about to buy IEM's, I thought I'd put it here.

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 23
Some stores immediately charged customers' credit cards when orders were placed - some customers were upset; so some stores charged credit cards when actually translations were made (shipped or pick-up). What's a store supposed to do?
MIR is bad, I totally agree.

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 23
I think you could have done better for your money anyways, so don't be kicking yourself too hard over this.

Mar 20, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 23
well technically, MIR came before DMR..

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #10 of 23
Many stores don't charge you when a virtual transaction is made, due to possible complications and liability. From a retailer perspective, it's safer to not charge your credit card until an item is shipped or picked up. I don't know of the exact legal issues behind it, but it's very common practice. As for the rebate issue, they should have given you prior notice about that, or at least made it more clear that your purchase wouldn't be final or paid for until picked up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonyboys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is "DMR"?

I'm guessing he meant to say DRM.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might not be news to you, but, MIR are one of the worst things that can happen since DRM.

Saved my ass from bankruptcy when I was building my PC though
biggrin.gif

Depends on who gives the MIR I think. Some companies are a lot better than others. Got a check from Antec only a month after I sent in the rebate. Still haven't heard from OCZ after two months though.

Now, DRM always sucks. If it's the DRM everyone's thinking it is.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #14 of 23
fry's online-order-in-store-pickup is more like an online reservation system. when the store receives an in-store pickup order, they pull that item from the shelves to guarantee you get to buy it when you go to the store...

i am sorry about what happened to you, but personally, over the years i've been more than happy to buy stuff from frys. they almost have the best return policy (the best is costco), they have good sales items from time to time, and they have more stuff for me to choose from, compared to bestbuy or any other electronic stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back