I hate ebay scams.
Jun 6, 2007 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Eldirial

100+ Head-Fier
Simply put, I hate ebay scams. I didn't get caught by one, but I npow have to deal with the crap you get to deal with when a scammer autobuys your merchandise. I have been trying to sell my Digital Rebel XTi online, and GOD is it a hassle. The latest attempt has someone who autobuys it and asks me to mail it to Nigeria - then spoofs a paypal email to my mail account, hoping I would fall for it.

It hurts enough to sell it for college texts, but this is getting silly.

discuss- anyone else dealt with all these scams before? I know that on this site a few people have tried to screw people in the for sale area.

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 23
Yeah, well I was 99.9% sure when I got the email it was a scam, since the paypal address was NY city, but they wanted me to mail it to Nigeria for a birthday present.

Yeah.

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 23
same here. I was trying to sell a Sony SCD-1 on audiogon and the Nigerian scammer contacted me wanting to buy. He later paid for item via "USPS online money order". What a joke! The USPS online money order require me to ship the itme first before I can cash the MO.
biggrin.gif
He also sent me the shipping label w/ "bill sender" and sending to "NG". I asked what is "NG", he later respond with "NG" is "North Georgia". Of course, I live in GA. I played along for another 20 e-mails or so and it was quite fun. That scammer was getting more angry and angry with every respond. I played dumb and asked him several stupid questions.

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 23
Not much you can do. I have some gear on Audiogon and they hit there as well. Bogus email expressing great desire to purchase "immediately". They want personal information so they can send funds in excess of the asking price to be sure they cover the shipping costs.
rolleyes.gif
Of course, they want me to return the "extra" funds but the items must ship immediately upon receipt of the money. Of course, the funds they send are bogus which you only discover after you've sent your gear and thrown in a nice tip with the "extra" funds they sent you. Where there's opportunity, there's fraud and deceit. Just the way our society is.

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 23
Report scammers that contact you to eBay, they have a major business interest in controlling fraud so people continue to use their site with abandon.

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 23
I did report the scam. Now I just have to get them to place the camera back in - since it's so expensive, the fee just to list it is 5 or 10 bucks, and that's a few notebooks!

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were a scamming Nigerian, I'd get a P.O. Box in Chad.

Thanks a LOT, Sam. Now I'll be spending the rest of my lunch hour cleaning up last night's stirfry from my workstation.

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 23
I bet all the Nigerian ebayers who are honestly trying to buy something hate the scammers even more than we do. One question though; why Nigeria?

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a noob at this kind of stuff, but when somebody buys it from you, you get the money right? So once the money's in your paypal, does it hurt to send the item?

Yes to both.

PayPal doesn't offer seller protection if you sell to certain international countries. Even if the person sends actual money (not just a fake PayPal statement), once he receives the item, he'll say that the item never arrived and request a chargeback. Then, you've lost both the money and the item.

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 23
Exactly. It hurt to - I woke up to see the 799.99 buy it now had been hit, and I was a rather happy camper.

Till I saw "send it to my father in Nigeria"

yeah.

Oh well, at least I didn't fall for it.

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #14 of 23
Ebay is dangerous place just as is convienient.
Nigeria, America, or any other countries, doesn't matter.
Some people try to con others. Those A-holes can get rich by scamming people, but they are losing a piece of their soul by doing that.

Anyway, we should be careful about who we are dealing with.
What I do is...

I do not respond any email that allegedly from ebay or paypal because almost all of them are physing emails. I personally do not trust anyone in ebay that has less than 98.5% positive reputation. In any cases, I read user replies and see what's going on. If the guy has increasing bad reviews within last six months, I wouldn't deal with him since that could indicate problems at his part. I usually specify delivery availability, because sometimes I can not send some items outside US due to shipping cost or other reasons. If you didn't specify that, you can not refuse delivery unless there's other problem that you can use it as excuse. So... plenty caustions, plenty pain in the arse. But as I said, you need to be careful since you don't know who you're dealing with.

I used to have bad luck with dealers from hongkong. Pretty good luck with dealers from UK, Korea and Germany. But I do not think I can generalize tendency of people by their countries because of that.

OK, I have ordered a couple of cable from a Hongkong dealer a few days ago. Even if I did not have good luck with them so far, he has what I want and his reputation is 99.8%. So, I bite it. Fortunately he sent me a confirmation email and shipping date. That made me feel alright about the dealer. I am waiting it to be arrived.

Jun 6, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #15 of 23
Ive had bad experiences similar to this, thats why I always stipulate that users with less than 10 feedbacks contact me prior to bidding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back