I hate DVD's with forced previews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 15, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #16 of 31
My dad dislikes special features. He says they are a waste of space on the DVD.
tongue_smile.gif

wink_face.gif

May 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #18 of 31
even worse is the 'don't copy this DVD' and 'report suspicious things' message we get here, if I did get an illegal copy I wouldn't be seeing that message. They really are not thinking it through. 
frown.gif

Good tip about the stop/menu thing, I'll try that next time I put in a DVD. Now I often get too annoyed by the intros and just put on some music, it's faster to start up the NAS and Mini than to start a DVD.

May 15, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #19 of 31
and they sure aren't making me want to pay to rent DVD's when the free pirated version just plays straight away. 

It's arrogant, greedy tactics like these that have caused the pirating culture to take off and be so widespread.  If record companies and movie studios didn't try to price gouge, rip off the artists, and force as much advertisement as possible down our throats, maybe more people would be happy to pay!

It would be like every restaurant charging 60 dollars per meal, while paying the waiters/resses and cooks 4 dollars an hour, outlawing tips, making you watch adds for various entres before you get the food you paid for, and then screaming at you while you try to enjoy the meal.  Oh, and using the lowest quality ingredients possible. 

No one would ever go out to eat, we'd all cook all our own food!

May 16, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #21 of 31

Quote:
Silly people..
tongue_smile.gif
  You can ALWAYS skip the ads and previews on a DVD.

Simply hit "STOP" then "MENU".  Works every time, even on Disney titles (the known worst previews offender). 

always my a$$.  I just tried it on the Harry Potter DVD, and it disables even the stop button.  The only way to stop the previews is to quit DVD player, or commit suicide 
blink.gif

May 16, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #22 of 31
DVDShrink
wink_face.gif

May 17, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #26 of 31

Quote:
Makes me miss VHS. You could even skip the anti-piracy warnings on those 
darthsmile.gif

Hi hi! Do not miss other parts of VHS though - like sound and picture quality (or the lack of such).

May 17, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #28 of 31
you can´t open it in the computer manager? Check the video ts folder and start on the first 1 gigabyte file? It was a long time since I encountered this issue but I buy movies rather then rent them in general.

It does suck and is kind of unexcusable since you payed money for renting the movie already. I have little issues with commercial for cinemas since due to them being so expensive they at least tend to be entertaining to watch. It also allows me to arrive late to the cinema without missing anything.

May 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #29 of 31
yeah I don't mind previews in cinemas either.  And I'm not totally sure why it feels so different.  It's part of the cinema experience.  Also, the previews in cinemas tend to be a lot more relevant to the audience at the cinema, plus they are movies that haven't come out yet, and they are big screen, surround sound. 

And with the DVD's, they are kind of taking over your personal computer and forcing it on you.

May 17, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
always my a$$.  I just tried it on the Harry Potter DVD, and it disables even the stop button.  The only way to stop the previews is to quit DVD player, or commit suicide 
blink.gif

Hit EJECT.  Then reload the disk into the drive.  As the disk is spinning up hit STOP, then MENU. 

In the case of disks like that, you must interrupt the load code during the initial startup.  As the disk is being initially read STOP so that the player does not disable the button.

Then do the "trick".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back