I hate certain Bose as well. But constant bashing?
Sep 15, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, if Vicky posted seriously in this thread, it has officially become "validated".

I was bartending a house party last weekend and the John Mayer Trio "Try" was playing in the next room and it sounded pretty decent.
Being the good audiophile that I am I had to go and investigate. It ended up being played on a Bose Wave CD/Radio player.

Without something to compare it to, a lot of average sounding components can sound decent in non-critical listening sessions.

I think the main point here, is that for the money that Bose products cost, a lot better can be had.

There are a lot of headphones in the Bose Triport's price range that would sound worlds better. The Lifestyle and Wave systems can be bettered by something as simple as a JVC Executive Series clock radio stereo for $399.

Bose products are plastic designs that while being quite unique in their approach, really sound horrible when you truly sit down and compare them to competetive products.

The Acoustimass bass module sounded incredible in the Bose store, but take some of your reference CD's and listen at home to this $1500 worth of electronics, and there are $800 systems with better soundstaging and frequency range.
Anytime someone asks my opinion on getting a system, they frequently ask, "What about Bose"? Why? Because they are advertised on every late night channel, gadet catalog, and supermarket counter magazine.

It's like when I walked through the supermarket and my ex-wife used to say, "umm...that looks good"!

No...the packaging looks good, you have no idea how it really tastes.

Hence, the bashing by people in the know.

They let you bartend? Aren't you dangerous in that position?
eek.gif

Now this is an example of a useful post for Bose-bashers everywhere.

Sep 15, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't read his post as insulting anyone, but expressing frustration for the a habit many on this forum have by making blanket negative comments about a product without usually stating why they don't like it, or why something is better by comparing them. Many newbies come here with Bose as a reference, and rather than explaining why and how the sq of X headphone is better or different than the sq of a Bose product, the trend seems to be to toss off statements like kool bubba ice's above.

I also don't like the Denon D5000 (and started a thread awhile back stating why), but I'll tell you why I think so and attempt to state the differences I perceive with other headphones. I'm not going to bash them and say, "They suck." You brought up a comparison, tossed out some prices, comfort comparison, and said, "happier than a pig...", but didn't say one thing about sq that might be helpful to him or allow him to know why you think they're better. That's frustrating, even to me.

Thanks boomana

Sep 15, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

They let you bartend? Aren't you dangerous in that position?
eek.gif

That is because, unlike Tony Montana, I never use my own product
cool.gif
Mind Erasers all around!

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

I didn't read his post as insulting anyone, but expressing frustration for the a habit many on this forum have by making blanket negative comments about a product without usually stating why they don't like it, or why something is better by comparing them. Many newbies come here with Bose as a reference, and rather than explaining why and how the sq of X headphone is better or different than the sq of a Bose product, the trend seems to be to toss off statements like kool bubba ice's above.

I also don't like the Denon D5000 (and started a thread awhile back stating why), but I'll tell you why I think so and attempt to state the differences I perceive with other headphones. I'm not going to bash them and say, "They suck." You brought up a comparison, tossed out some prices, comfort comparison, and said, "happier than a pig...", but didn't say one thing about sq that might be helpful to him or allow him to know why you think they're better. That's frustrating, even to me.

I shouldn't have to explain to them why BOSE is 'less then stellar'. They should find out for themselves. I think BOSE sucks for the price they charge.. & their build quality is beyond pathetic for what they charge. I doubt you'd own a pair of BOSE headphones.. & how many BOSE headphones are at meets that aren't meant as a joke? audiophiles are not licking their lips for BOSE next Headphone. Anyone who owns many headphones, & have done comparisons know that BOSE is subpar, The majority don't so they are easily impressed.. It's pure ignorance on their part.. Just like my ignorance led me to believe AOL was the best & only way to get on line.. But I educated myself.. many are too lazy to do so or simply don't care.

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I shouldn't have to explain to them why BOSE is 'less then stellar'. They should find out for themselves. I think BOSE sucks for the price they charge.. & their build quality is beyond pathetic for what they charge. I doubt you'd own a pair of BOSE headphones.. & how many BOSE headphones are at meets that aren't meant as a joke? audiophiles are not licking their lips for BOSE next Headphone. Anyone who owns many headphones, & have done comparisons know that BOSE is subpar, The majority don't so they are easily impressed.. It's pure ignorance on their part.. Just like my ignorance led me to believe AOL was the best & only way to get on line.. But I educated myself.. many are too lazy to do so or simply don't care.

But someone who is just joining this forum often doesn't know that. Bose may be the best that they have heard. That's their starting point. You can help educate him or her, as others have helped educate you, with USEFUL posts, or you can just be a rude arse and say find out for yourself.

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

You are 100% right. Most of the bashing appears to be juvenile attempts to make the bashers feel like they're in some special "in crowd" that know something most of the population doesn't. I personally find it embarrassing.

X2, it's so stupid. No, bose is not great for the price (especially build quality), but the sound quality is decent compared to most of the other consumer grade stuff out there and they are very comfortable.

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...It's pure ignorance on their part.. Just like my ignorance led me to believe AOL was the best & only way to get on line.. But I educated myself.. many are too lazy to do so or simply don't care.

AOL is the Fisher Price version of the internet. Or the Huffy version of the Toys-R-Us mountain bike.

Educating yourself shows your passion and interest for a hobby. That doesn't mean someone who doesn't educate themselves, is lazy or doesn't care.
If you don't know something is out there, you wouldn't know to pursue it further. The sheep follow the patterns and directions of where the media leads them. Why does every major city have 5 top 40 radio stations that all play the same music. Because they are the most popular and reap the most profits.
Do people listen to these stations because they are lazy or because they don't know anything else is out there? If the entire time they were growing up, top 40 is all they heard at home, in the park and at parties, it is confusing to them when I approach them to listen to Jazz or Blues or Classical.
They don't know the words, understand the beat, or feel the music deep down inside. One example is how the blues reach deep down inside you and move you to different emotions. They do know music with a constant beat that can be danced to or seen on MTV.

It's the same with Bose. They see the commercials of what appears to be a upper echelon product, see executives wearing them on the plane, and aspire to own a pair.

There were times in all of our lives that we happily listened to a $20 pair of earbuds and didn't think that Classical music was music. All of us. Someone had to turn us onto the good stuff, then we realized there was better, knew that was something that made us happy, and then we joined a website called Head-Fi, Audio Asylum or AVS Forums.

This is what floats my boat, and I like wearing Wranglers over Calvin Kleins.

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #23 of 40
While I will agree that they are comfortable, I've just never really understood the appeal of Bose sound outside of the fact that they're supposed to sound good. Back in the day when I was more hung up on mainstream consumer gear than anything remotely hi-fi, I remember checking out some Bose headphones and also their home theatre gear, and I still didn't get the advantage then, but at the time I figured I just didn't understand it. I don't think anyone is attempting to intentionally offend or hurt anybody's feelings, but just as you're entitled to your opinion others are entitled to theirs. There has been so much writing on the pros and cons of Bose headphones that I think the reason why people just resort to "bashing" is because many of them are simply tired of always stating why they don't care for Bose. Granted, there are going to be a few that may just bash the company for the hell of it, but I'd like to think that most of us on here have more respect and intelligence than that. If you enjoy Bose, great, have fun, but there's no need to jump on a soapbox if you find a lot of people don't agree with you.

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #24 of 40
I have a pair of the bose triport headphones. They are almost as good as my Sennheiser hd280's. I did a lot of comparison, switching back and fourth in the same song several times. But almost is the key word. I will admit that they are overpriced but so are a lot of other things, who cares? It's just like anything else, if you don't know any better and you walk into a store and listen to them, its a huge step up from what you are used to listening to. Take a Corvette Z06 (400bhp) vs a Porsche Boxster S (260Bhp), the difference in price is huge, more than 10 grand, but they share the same times on the track within less than a second(this was in 2003 or 2004).

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassheadJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There has been so much writing on the pros and cons of Bose headphones that I think the reason why people just resort to "bashing" is because many of them are simply tired of always stating why they don't care for Bose. Granted, there are going to be a few that may just bash the company for the hell of it, but I'd like to think that most of us on here have more respect and intelligence than that. If you enjoy Bose, great, have fun, but there's no need to jump on a soapbox if you find a lot of people don't agree with you.

I think this is about respect and intelligence, as you put it. Respect the starting point of new members. Anybody who has been around here for more than a few months gets tired of seeing the same questions that show up every single day in new threads. So don't answer if you can't be helpful. Leave it to others who may be in a more generous mood that day. You don't have to post to prove a point, and if you simply can't stop yourself, go ahead, say, "Bose are crap," but at least take into consideration that may be all that person knows. Bashing without offering information is like making fun of someone for a simple lack of knowledge. Very uncool.

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #26 of 40
Bose sucks lawlz get a new headphone!!!!!!oNE!!!!!!1111

Us who know what Bose is really about don't get angry about Bose bashing. Bose was the top shelf gear in the 70's 901's come on now. Unfortunately when foam and paper woofers were replaced with longer lasting better sounding materials Bose just kept riding that same wave of popularity and name based marketing that they established when they were on top instead of coming together with the times and adjusting.

Really what is the difference between people paying money for Bose and paying $4300 for a 4 foot power cord. People are going to do it and I am going to make fun of them for doing so. Then show them what they could have alternatively chosen. But if you like bloated undefined bass go buy some tri-ports i will live in audio bliss with my HD 580's. Like everyone says if Bose gear was between 25% and 50% cheaper people arond her would fall all over it.

Another note the wave radio is a pretty damn impressive device. I saw a demonstration 10 years ago on one and it literally filled a 200 seat theater with good full rich sound, of course a nice acoustically minded theater with sloped floors and the works is going to do that. I'd rather sacrafice room and buy a decent receiver/cd player and speakers for a $100 more.

Perceiving a sound or a sight doesn't mean it exists in the way your brain interprets it.

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #27 of 40
I agree with OP and Boomana's thoughts.

Personally, I have tried Bose triports (both on-ear & around the ear) and I didn't go for them because the build quality is poor for the cost they advertise. I didn't want to bash them for this reason. They clearly advertise the price and let one can go to Best buy or Circuit City or their showroom to audition the triport piece. Buy it if you like it for the price or just forget it. It's all up to us, the buyers.

IMHO There are also non-Bose products (esp. headphones & amps) available in the market which are overly priced, with poor build quality etc. But we don't create bashing threads every month for these products.

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #28 of 40
A while ago, I was going to say, "Ive created a monster!" because of all of the people against having to explain as they state them. That is also because the thread I've spawned has greatly become a bose slash/support thread, which I tried to avoid.

But now, as I reflect, I couldn't be more satisfied. For one thing, I've got a couple people supporting my thesis of, "Please, support your passionate claims with evidence." And boomana is of course much better at trying to say what I want to say than I am.

And the bashing and supporting on this thread--for the most part, when people are bashing and supporting, you are all giving great reasons for why you feel the way you do. Even when I am being bashed, you are respectful and you give me great reasons, and I totally respect that.

So yeah, I want to thank you for your responses. And thats basically it.

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #29 of 40
i havnt seen too much bashing recently, i think bose is ok, the only thing i was extremely dissapointed with is their iem's, apart from that they do make some quality stuff

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #30 of 40
oh. good. another Bose bashing thread.no jokes, just nitty gritty.
good noise cancellation technology for QCII, and the earbuds sound pretty good.

In my experience with this brand is that the other products I have previously owned and utilized personally broke or did not sound good enough to warrant Bose's marketing, I mean pricepoint
cool.gif

Some agree their stuff sounds better, but better than what is key?! The triports seem to have nice light fit, but their still exists doubts per the SQ. There are more opinions and reviews which hold higher acclaim for other brands and Mfr's VS Bose for audiophile reproduction..and I think either way, it gets a bad and good name here from time to time.

disclaimer: BOSE = Buy Other Stereo Equipment.
Check out the K-35 if can be had, it will best the Bose in SQ hands down, and fit just as light for most..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back