I hate certain Bose as well. But constant bashing?
Sep 15, 2007 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

drkphoenix

New Head-Fier
MY THOUGHTS:
I used to be a bose fan. Then I became a basher just like half this forum. Then I realized many things.

ON BASHING
First, I think the only people who have a right to bash are people who have been actually have used them as their own headphones and were extremely dissatisfied with the product they purchased after a reasonable trial period.

I was given a reasonable two weeks to return e4's I got from earphonesolutions.com and they had a card packaged with the product saying that it takes a while to get used to them, but that once people have used them for a week or more, the return rates are minuscule. I ended up returning them. Even now, I would feel I had no right to critique them extensively because I dont have them to test as I write, and I have not gone to the trouble of taking extensive notes about my experience. And even if i had taken notes I couldnt go out and buy a new SE model and legit-ly compare the SE to the notes I had on the e4's so I shouldn't pretend to. The only thing I should say is that I dont remember much but I know that I returned them because after getting countless tips and trying the best insert for over a week (foam), I had to return them because they were uncomfortable in my ears.

My point is, people compare bose to headphones that they know nothing about, but have heard someone else say that they kick the butt of the bose, or have listened to the supra's or circum's in target on target's music. Maybe some have gone to the Apple store where they actually do let you test the whole line but the IEM's which gives a bit of demo knowledge. In my mind, only the ones who have gone to a place like the apple store where you can compare with your own music (im sure they dont like it cuz they dont make it easy w/ the cable ties but ive never been complained to :-] ) should be comparing. I.e. dont say youve compared unless you have actually done so. And If you say you compared and bose isnt as good say how you came to that conclusion otherwise you have no credibility (even if youre a supremus, how am i to know youve written 5000 articles better constructed than that one?). Why is this product better than bose? the comments about ads and other stuff i dont mind so muh since its not as relevant anyway. but i know you guys like to strut your stuff w. good reason. so help them. tell them why you made the decision about bose. id rather see objective facts while making my upcoming decision about qc's or pxc300's than a hysterical pov-based rant. finally dont judge a brand on a single line of products (bose-triport/qc's) or a line on a single product (triport-conehead/oe/iem) PLEASE STICK TO THE FACTS and leave out the rants. Ive heard enuf for a lifetime!

PS this was inspired by this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231344

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 40
There are a bunch of threads on this topic on Head-Fi, already.

No disrespect intended, but you can use the search engine and add you post to one of those threads. Just a suggestion.

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 40
Ok, paragraphs, sentences... look into it...

Your post may have a lot of merit, but I had to stop reading it after a couple of lines, it was giving me a headache...

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a bunch of threads on this topic on Head-Fi, already.

No disrespect intended, but you can use the search engine and add you post to one of those threads. Just a suggestion.

i looked for such threads but maybe not hard enough

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #7 of 40
i apologize for the spelling and grammar, i was more concerned w/ content

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 40
You are 100% right. Most of the bashing appears to be juvenile attempts to make the bashers feel like they're in some special "in crowd" that know something most of the population doesn't. I personally find it embarrassing. I've listened to Bose and happen to like other headphones more, but I've heard a lot of the headphones the bashers have in their sigs and profiles, and many aren't any better at all, some even worse, but those that like to make fun of Bose somehow feel better about themselves for not being sucked in by a popular item that is, by all accounts, overpriced. Whenever I read such stupidity, I know to not trust the judgment of that person regarding anything else.

As long as this rant is on, I'd also like to add that lately (the past few months) I've seen a lot of recommendations and opinions that seem to be by people who haven't even heard what they're for or against. How is that helpful to anyone? It's not good for the community as a whole, and it is particularly detrimental to newcomers looking for answers. Egad, people. Stop it.

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by drkphoenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i apologize for the spelling and grammar, i was more concerned w/ content

Well..

Like I said, your post may have a lot of merit, but if people can't receive your message, for whatever reason, the message is lost.

You should consider revisiting your post and editing it for clarity's sake.

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 40
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!
tongue.gif

With that said, I won't bash Bose, but I'll bash you. It's not a good idea to make some of your first posts in these forums insults to others here. Others that have a great deal more experience than you. Others who say Bose sucks, not because they feel like tooting their own horn, but because they have heard them and know you can get a lot more for your money.

I won't say Bose sucks as a low-end sound quality product. Some of their headphones sound decent. But they don't sound nearly what their price tag asks of them. And if you educate yourself and compare them to other products for the same price as the Bose, you will come to the same conclusion. Sure, the QC2 are comfortable, but they aren't the only comfortable headphone on the block. Personally, I feel that any active noise cancellation is a garbage sounding headphone. Creating other noise and harmonics to try to fool your brain into thinking you aren't hearing those noises is not true isolation. There are many excellent headphones that provide great isolation. All you have to do is spend time on these forums reading about them.

But coming in here and laying out insults is not a good way to ask for help on a potential purchase.

Edit: If you're looking for a headphone like the QC2, try the Denon AH-D2000. It sounds a thousand times better and is one of the most comfortable headphones on the market. Yes, it's more comfortable than the Bose QC2. The list price on both the Bose and the Denon is $349. But the Denon can be purchase online brand new with a warranty for $255 - $280. The Denon isn't the best when it comes to isolation because of the way the earpads are set up, which is why they are so comfortable. But QC2 don't isolate either. They just create additional noise to counteract the existing noise. Lesson learned: More noise is not less noise.

I'd say go with the Denon AH-D2000. You'll be happy as a pig in crap.

Or if you have the cash, go full speed ahead and get the Denon AH-D5000 with real mahogany wood earcups. The D5000 has a better quality cable(7N-OFC) than the D2000.(6N-OFC). The AH-D5000 lists for $700.00, but I bought it from Amazon.com for $490.00

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well..

Like I said, your post may have a lot of merit, but if people can't receive your message, for whatever reason, the message is lost.

You should consider revisiting your post and editing it for clarity's sake.

Thanks i just added breaks but hopefully that helps.

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #13 of 40
OK, if Vicky posted seriously in this thread, it has officially become "validated".

I was bartending a house party last weekend and the John Mayer Trio "Try" was playing in the next room and it sounded pretty decent.
Being the good audiophile that I am I had to go and investigate. It ended up being played on a Bose Wave CD/Radio player.

Without something to compare it to, a lot of average sounding components can sound decent in non-critical listening sessions.

I think the main point here, is that for the money that Bose products cost, a lot better can be had.

There are a lot of headphones in the Bose Triport's price range that would sound worlds better. The Lifestyle and Wave systems can be bettered by something as simple as a JVC Executive Series clock radio stereo for $399.

Bose products are plastic designs that while being quite unique in their approach, really sound horrible when you truly sit down and compare them to competetive products.

The Acoustimass bass module sounded incredible in the Bose store, but take some of your reference CD's and listen at home to this $1500 worth of electronics, and there are $800 systems with better soundstaging and frequency range.
Anytime someone asks my opinion on getting a system, they frequently ask, "What about Bose"? Why? Because they are advertised on every late night channel, gadet catalog, and supermarket counter magazine.

It's like when I walked through the supermarket and my ex-wife used to say, "umm...that looks good"!

No...the packaging looks good, you have no idea how it really tastes.

Hence, the bashing by people in the know.

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

With that said, I won't bash Bose, but I'll bash you. It's not a good idea to make some of your first posts in these forums insults to others here. Others that have a great deal more experience than you. Others who say Bose sucks, not because they feel like tooting their own horn, but because they have heard them and know you can get a lot more for your money.

I won't say Bose sucks as a low-end sound quality product. Some of their headphones sound decent. But they don't sound nearly what their price tag asks of them. And if you educate yourself and compare them to other products for the same price as the Bose, you will come to the same conclusion. Sure, the QC2 are comfortable, but they aren't the only comfortable headphone on the block. Personally, I feel that any active noise cancellation is a garbage sounding headphone. Creating other noise and harmonics to try to fool your brain into thinking you aren't hearing those noises is not true isolation. There are many excellent headphones that provide great isolation. All you have to do is spend time on these forums reading about them.

But coming in here and laying out insults is not a good way to ask for help on a potential purchase.

My pxc v. qc was meant as an example in present life of how i would rather get a response like "you should buy the senns because theyre half as expensive with better quality in such and such areas of frequency" and so on than just the "bose sucks end of story" sort of thing.

And I am a newb to posting and maybe looking at all of your posts for a year is not impressive either but I can say that for a year I have READ people's posts and i feel i have a right to voice my frustration.

Now not all posts against bose are bad such as that Official Triport Alternative thread... That has purpose--every contributer submitted his or her own knowledge and applied it to help others. there were very few "bose sucks" comments. I am just suggestiung that you try to be that helpful at other times too, since i know you can be.

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Edit: If you're looking for a headphone like the QC2, try the Denon AH-D2000. It sounds a thousand times better and is one of the most comfortable headphones on the market. Yes, it's more comfortable than the Bose QC2. The list price on both the Bose and the Denon is $349. But the Denon can be purchase online brand new with a warranty for $255 - $280. The Denon isn't the best when it comes to isolation because of the way the earpads are set up, which is why they are so comfortable. But QC2 don't isolate either. They just create additional noise to counteract the existing noise. Lesson learned: More noise is not less noise.

I'd say go with the Denon AH-D2000. You'll be happy as a pig in crap.

Or if you have the cash, go full speed ahead and get the Denon AH-D5000 with real mahogany wood earcups. The D5000 has a better quality cable(7N-OFC) than the D2000.(6N-OFC). The AH-D5000 lists for $700.00, but I bought it from Amazon.com for $490.00

I didn't read his post as insulting anyone, but expressing frustration for the a habit many on this forum have by making blanket negative comments about a product without usually stating why they don't like it, or why something is better by comparing them. Many newbies come here with Bose as a reference, and rather than explaining why and how the sq of X headphone is better or different than the sq of a Bose product, the trend seems to be to toss off statements like kool bubba ice's above.

I also don't like the Denon D5000 (and started a thread awhile back stating why), but I'll tell you why I think so and attempt to state the differences I perceive with other headphones. I'm not going to bash them and say, "They suck." You brought up a comparison, tossed out some prices, comfort comparison, and said, "happier than a pig...", but didn't say one thing about sq that might be helpful to him or allow him to know why you think they're better. That's frustrating, even to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back