I got the Audio-Technica ATH-EM7 Ear-Fitting Headphone
Nov 16, 2002 at 12:12 AM Post #121 of 144
Quote:

Basically, someone posts some impressions, says these are the end all phones, and everyone goes into a buying frenzy.

But aren't all reviews basically 'impressions'? And are you implying we're all a bunch of guppies?
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:14 AM Post #122 of 144
Ah jeez, I don't want this to get out of hand.
frown.gif
What I mean is, I don't like it when someone posts impressions 5 minutes after putting the phones on, without waiting a couple days to really soak in the sound.

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #123 of 144
I wouldn't exactly be harsh on "newbies" for posting new impressions, because I was there once myself. I know that feeling of coming home with a new toy, and wanting to sing like a crow about it to everybody. But for the sake of consistency and just for the reviewer's own credit, it's simply better if they waited before posting anything at all. That's something that's discovered with experience.

Lot's of things can happen after you receive the new 'phones. Burn in for one. Maybe you really like them so much that you decide to play around with the rest of your system to better match their strengths, and along the way big changes happen. Or maybe they really are one of those 'phones that just need their 5 minutes of fame with you before you discard them for the rest of your life (course if you only had 5 minutes with them, you probably don't own them either). If the 'phone is within your very own possession, why not take the time to actually get to know them well before saying anything about them? That's all I'm saying.

I personally never wander into first impression threads when they are first posted...rather I wander into them a week or two later, because it's more likely I'll read the real stuff then.

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #124 of 144
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
But aren't all reviews basically 'impressions'? And are you implying we're all a bunch of guppies?
wink.gif
tongue.gif

I was under the impression myself that first contact posts regarding a product's sound were denoted as "impressions", and posts that were fully thought out and developed, took lots of time to type out, and usually were posted after the reviewer owned said product for over a week were denoted as "reviews".

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #125 of 144
Yeah, I've made the mistake of posting premature impressions myself, a couple of times. My own advice (which I probably never will be able to follow) would be to wait a week before posting impressions of new headphones.

Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
I personally never wander into first impression threads when they are first posted...rather I wander into them a week or two later, because it's more likely I'll read the real stuff then.

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #126 of 144
Of course, it is understandable to be excited over a new pair of headphones. But no matter how much you love them, try to hold off on posting that glamorous, better-than-the-orpheus-r10-and-blockhead review for a week or so.
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #127 of 144
andrzejpw:

I was only kidding.

I do agree with you and Vertigo-1 about 'first impressions. A lot can change in a matter of few days, as in this case with Lou. And no Lou, I am not ragging on you. I'm sure a lot of the people who bought the EM7's on your recommendation will very happy with them. It just turned out, it wasn't for you, no biggie.

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:37 AM Post #128 of 144
Mtillman. I couldn't tell whether it was a joke or not. My apologies.

I disagree with hold off for a week or so. I believe that first impressions are important when evaluating anything, because you then have some thing to go back to when new developments arrive. It's really up to us reading the remarks to decipher the information presented to us. I do believe it's important to be a descriptive as possible when giving these first impressions, as that would give others a better idea about how to evaluate the info given and ask better questions.

Just a thought.

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #129 of 144
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
I disagree with hold off for a week or so. I believe that first impressions are important when evaluating anything, because you then have some thing to go back to when new developments arrive.

Ok, but then you could just as easily log that in the beginning of the formal full review. And it'd actually make more sense there. Posting a first impression that seems like the headphone 100% sounds like what you say it does, and then going back later and saying it's something else would be rather confusing to people. Particuarly if in between that time period, people actually go out and buy the headphone based on your first impressions, like what happen here (I'm not sure if Lou sold the EM7's because of a sound change or if he just didn't like them though).

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #130 of 144
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Particuarly if in between that time period, people actually go out and buy the headphone based on your first impressions, like what happen here.

Vert, I don't think that's what's happening at all. I think that the majority of the people that buy these phones will really dig them. I do believe that this thread has gone off on a tangent that is so far off topic, that a new thread should be started in the "lounge" area to accommodate those that want to continue this discussion.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:58 AM Post #131 of 144
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Mtillman. I couldn't tell whether it was a joke or not. My apologies.

No, no - it's definitely my fault for not being clear.

Anyway, I now reckon my EM7s kick ass (note the deferential spelling of 'arse') - and they're still at Heathrow! (that's London Airport to my Yankee cousins).

Better not forget this -
biggrin.gif

BTW, I'm not always this flipant.

Nov 16, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #132 of 144
Quote:

I wouldn't sweat it. You know how THOSE Americans are!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

BTW: I did pick up on your joke and found it humorous. We could use a few more yucks around here.
wink.gif

Heh, Tony, you ganging up on us again?????
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #134 of 144
Quote:

Now really ServinginEcuador, would I do something like that?

Don't answer that!
eek.gif
tongue.gif

I won't!!! I also thought that mtillman's posts were quite humorous myself. I loved Monty Python and dig the British dry whit. But then again, MASH was my all time favorite TV show, and that thing is full of dry whit and humor!!!!!!

Nov 16, 2002 at 11:42 AM Post #135 of 144
The other great thing about being British (or at least living in Britain) is that we get HD600s for 120ukp/170usd.

Oh, and just to drift back on-topic, my EM7s didn't arrive this morning (not that I was expecting them to).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back