I got screwed on my driving test!
Jun 5, 2007 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

arnoldsoccer4

500+ Head-Fier
So I took my driving test today and I should have my license right now, but guess what, I don't. I parked outside, somewhat away from other cars because my dad's car still looks brand new even though it is 6 years old, and we go into the DMV. So while sitting I overhear a conversation next to me talking about the people that grade you on your driving. I overhear there are only 2 testers at this DMV, and the black man is a dick. I disregarded this as perhaps a racist comment and sure enough, the guy they are talking about calls me to test me. Remember the car is parked a little away from the DMV? It is still in the parking lot, just 4 or 5 rows out. We start walking and I say "Sorry, the car is parked a little far out to prevent damage" to that I get this reply from my tester, "Pick up the pace kid I have s*** to do and you're wasting my time." Ok, the people inside were right I thought to myself, I am not making this up by the way he truly said that to me. He takes me through the normal stuff, turn your signals/ brake lights on and when I turn my left turn signal on the guy asks me 5 times if it is on, to which I say "Yes sir it is" (southern grown manners). So we start the test at roughly 3, right when school has let out. The thing is there is an elementary school right by the DMV and the test goes through a neighborhood where many of these 5/6/7/8 year old kids live. The neighborhood is the only one in our area that has a speed limit of 35. So I see these kids walking home, running in the street, not looking etc, and I don't want to take a casualty on my driving test so I decrease speed to roughly 20 on account of the kids not paying attention. Everyone else driving is doing the same thing.
So we get back and I park perfectly in the practice spot and the guy informs me I have failed my driving test and starts to get out of the car, when he is getting out I ask why? I truly had a perfect driving test. He tells me that I failed because I went 15 under the speed limit in that residential area. I say "Well there are kids around and for their safety I and everyone else on the road decreased our speeds to a reasonable level." This is when my tester gets really, well, testy (Puns FTW!). He says, "I saw the same things you did kid, do you think I am blind?" He in fact did not see the same things because he was looking at his notepad the whole time. He asks me if I have any further questions and I ask, "Well was there anything else I did wrong besides driving too slow?" And he looks at his sheet and says, "No, other than that you had a perfect test" and hands me the sheet. I also told him that I would like to speak to him further inside with my dad in company so he (my tester) can explain why I failed.
Has anyone here ever heard of a 16 year old failing a driving test for driving too slow? I told my dad all this after we finished and we went in to have a chat with the supervisor. We tell the supervisor who we have a complaint about and it was apparent by her reaction that this is another in a long line of complaints against Sherman, my tester. She calls him over and he tells her to wait 20 minutes, he is on his break. Once he comes over she asks why I failed, he says for driving 15 under, and tells her that he told me 3 times to go up to the speed limit. He NEVER told me to speed up and he asked me once what the speed limit was. I tell the supervisor this and that there were 5 year olds running rampant, which I feel bad about because it puts her in a bad position. At this point Sherman asks his supervisor, "Can I leave now?" and his supervisor says, "Please do".
My dad says to the supervisor, "Ok so by this logic, if I am in a blizzard and there is black ice everywhere I should drive 35 just because that is the posted speed limit?" The supervisor says to us, "I know that you (me) should not have failed this, especially seeing everything else was perfect, but unfortunately because I was not in the car I cannot overturn his decision, and I would take you out right now for a retake, but legally I can't." So I got another appointment scheduled, but I should have my license here and now.
The supervisor gave me a complaint card to fill out, and really pushed filling it out, I think because she has been wanting Sherman fired for a while now. Our final comment on the card was "We recommend that Sherman finds a new job in which the public cannot interfere with his break time."

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marados /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhhh, wall of text.

Yes my longest post ever.

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 80
Wow. That's terrible.
But yeah, that's why I hate having to deal with people like that.

Goodluck though, hope Sherman gets fired.

Joseph

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 80
Don't worry, sometimes they are dicks. Just take a break, and go and do it again in a couple weeks-Go to a different centre next time?

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry, sometimes they are dicks. Just take a break, and go and do it again in a couple weeks-Go to a different centre next time?

Ahh the appointment is at the same place, but the supervisor promised she would test me herself.

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 80
Haha yours sounds so hard. My tester had me skip all the signal light check and tells me to break the speed limit so we can finish faster. Got my license, and I never bribed.

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #8 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh the appointment is at the same place, but the supervisor promised she would test me herself.

That's good, you should be fine..

Jun 5, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #9 of 80
That's pretty bad luck dude. And I don't know about teh US, but driving tests here are expensive. That's a lot of hassle just because that ****** was having a bad day.

At least you know you can do it, and the pressure will be well and truly off next time.

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #10 of 80
I thought this was going to be an E/N thread about how you were wronged because you're a teenager and can't drive, blah blah blah.

But as it turns out, you really were wronged, and you and your dad complained like you should have. I like the bit where you're traveling as fast as other traffic, but yet you should have gone up to the speed limit anyway - plowing not only through kids but other cars as well.

How were you supposed to know you should have filmed your driving test?
mad.gif

Besides getting the government job in order to do as little work as possible, it sounds like ole Sherman, like so many other drivers, fails to realise what speed limit means.

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #11 of 80
Quote:

I got screwed on my driving test!

Lucky you... all I got was a kiss on the cheek!

*boom tish*

Hey, as an aside... how come I can't say ****, ****, ****, or **** on this forum, but I can say dick?

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #12 of 80
I agree with plainsong, I came into this thread expecting that you would be the one who screwed up, and were just trying to pass the blame

Now that i have read it, that is a real bummer man, it sucks that there are people like that in positions that can really screw you over.

Good luck on the next test, sounds like you should do great.

Give Sherman a dirty look for me.

Jun 5, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #14 of 80
I hope you mentioned on the complaint form that your instructor claims he told you to nearly double your speed three times on a road filled with playing children. That claim that he made alone should be enough to get him fired. I'm so glad that driving test examiners are so professional in the UK. They have to be qualified advanced drivers, driving instructors and then more on top of that. Not just any jackass who reads the rules and gets handed a clipboard.

I failed my test twice incidentally.

Jun 5, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #15 of 80
That sucks. My driving test consisted of driving around the block one time. And when I took the written test inside, the guy purposely(I believe) gave me a test with the answers on the back (like a master sheet). I go up there confused and and before I can ask any questions he looks at my test and says "nicely done, almost a perfect score". Apperantly there was one wrong on the answer sheet?

The DMV system is screwed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back