I Got Screwed BY USPS. What Can I Do?
May 23, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by diogenes
The thing is assuming what he sent was the pack, then he did everything right.
So, it would seem a bit hard to me to justify negative feedback.

Agreed, he did all he was supposed to do. You can't blame the seller for the package getting lost. The fact that he has refused (or hints at refusing) to give you a refund really doesn't impact the transaction itself. You paid, he shipped, the ebay portion is all OK.

May 23, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #17 of 32
If seller did not offer insurance and did not state the shipping method (i.e. FOB shipping point) you can bite him and make him return the bucks to you or send you a replacement...but as an ethical person you obviously wouldnt wanna do that. Without insurance, there is really nothing you can do about it...I thought I lost a parcel coming from the states but it came after a month...which was far over due the ETA. I wasnt quite sure if I was happy or pissed as I already ordered the replacements....so...try to wait a little..sometimes they judt got lost...maybe went onto the wrong truck...if you're lucky..they may get it to you in the end.

May 23, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by headchange4u
I tried numerous packs when I went looking for a larger pack. I tried on an Opsrey Aether at Bluff Mt. Outfitters in Hot Springs, NC and fell in love. This pack is the most comfortable pack I have ever tried on. The one I am getting (hopefully soon) has the heat mouldable hip belt and harness that form to your body, so the comfort factor is only going to increase once I have it moulded.

Ah I was looking at those, they just came out earlier this year right? I don't have any camping dealerships here to do it for me, might get one from REI when I fly up to SF though.

May 23, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
If I were the seller, I would refund the money, because I feel it is easier to be out a backpack rather than $200, but that is just me.

I bought some speakers on this site from another member and had them shipped regular USPS from California to AZ. A month went by and I did not have my package. I emailed the seller and kept him updated. Finally, he refunded my money back and we assumed the package was lost. 3 weeks later, the speakers arrived and I paid the seller back for them. Your backpack could still turn up.

I agree here, DO NOT GIVE UP..
I have a non head-fi item that was a family
heirloom that what was mistakenly sent USPS priority from OH to AZ...well it was months of crap, and faulty communication, along with dialogues with the Location I dealt with...but it came back to me!!
smily_headphones1.gif
It could very well be re-routed back to the shipper or to you, and weeks/months later even..

This sounds terrible, but for the 18KT White Gold Jabel ring that was NOT supposed to have been mailed in the place and in my case, and then was mishandled by the USPS (not doing what they say in their Service Level Agreement that they guarantee to) and eventually lost, I was hopping mad at myself and the USPS!! The worst part is the USPS was apathetic about it the whole time, dismissing it that the package was delivered to my Brothers house (same neighborhood / different address in gated community)...so they were not even sure what happened to it, and told me it was gonezo..
frown.gif

I would keep calling and emphasize the importance of the item to a manager, or supervisor, twice a week. Get a detailed desc of the size, label, where shipped from and the actual name/info written and/or included on the package, and play bounty hunter for awhile

My Ring came back to the sender eventually, like 3.5 months later, randomly, but the point is, that the parcel was located and delivered...hoping the best for your backpack!!

May 23, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #20 of 32
Sorry to hear about your lost pack, dude! That really sucks!
mad.gif

There isn't much more I can add to what's already been said before me. I learned my lesson 9-months ago. Bought an MP3-player off ebay, and it never came. I was up the creek for refunds, because I didn't spring the extra 2-bucks for insurance. From then on, I insist on insurance when buying (or selling), anything.

If I sell something, I always ship it with tracking and insurance. That way; if something happens to the package (or gets lost), between the time it leaves my hands and gets to my buyer's; we are both protected.

Again, my regrets on your misfortune. By the sounds of some of the things I've read in this thread, we are not alone.
rolleyes.gif

May 24, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Ah I was looking at those, they just came out earlier this year right? I don't have any camping dealerships here to do it for me, might get one from REI when I fly up to SF though.

Make sure the store you get it from has an oven for the Osprey packs. They can heat up the harness and hip belt and then mould it to you right there in the store. Takes like 15 minutes to do. Otherwise it takes up to 80 hours (I was told) of wearing the pack for the heat from your body to mould it on it's own.

My local outfitter is an Osprey dealer and luckily they have an oven and said the do that for free.

May 24, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
I agree here, DO NOT GIVE UP..
I have a non head-fi item that was a family
heirloom that what was mistakenly sent USPS priority from OH to AZ...well it was months of crap, and faulty communication, along with dialogues with the Location I dealt with...but it came back to me!!
smily_headphones1.gif
It could very well be re-routed back to the shipper or to you, and weeks/months later even..

This sounds terrible, but for the 18KT White Gold Jabel ring that was NOT supposed to have been mailed in the place and in my case, and then was mishandled by the USPS (not doing what they say in their Service Level Agreement that they guarantee to) and eventually lost, I was hopping mad at myself and the USPS!! The worst part is the USPS was apathetic about it the whole time, dismissing it that the package was delivered to my Brothers house (same neighborhood / different address in gated community)...so they were not even sure what happened to it, and told me it was gonezo..
frown.gif

I would keep calling and emphasize the importance of the item to a manager, or supervisor, twice a week. Get a detailed desc of the size, label, where shipped from and the actual name/info written and/or included on the package, and play bounty hunter for awhile

My Ring came back to the sender eventually, like 3.5 months later, randomly, but the point is, that the parcel was located and delivered...hoping the best for your backpack!!

Yeah, my item got routed back to the guy i sent it to when I shipped last. I'm in Thornhill (GTA), and shipped to my friend downtown an hard drive with xpersspost (1 day shipping) and it got sent to missusaga. I was not asked for a signature, and insurance was no problem because it was only worth $100 and that's default. Long story short, the item seemed to have got mistracked, the post office blabbered me around and was very rude about the situation, and eventually it did get to my seller a week later. He sent me the hard drive back with expedited, which I believe is 1 day shipping, and it's already been 3 days. If they go through this process again, I might have to call the head office and ask for some sort of apology and maybe refund in the shipping costs, if we are paying for 1 day shipping, our item should not get lost and take a full week to get to the seller after we ship it.

May 24, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #23 of 32
To the OP: I'm really curious...are you always going to buy insurance now?

On the feedback issue, you can only leave a neutral.

I don't agree that it was the seller's responsibility to insure, it's customary for the buyer to buy insurance if desired.

I had the same thing happen with a used CD I bought, it does suck.

End random thoughts and questions.

May 24, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #24 of 32
Actually insurance is to actually cover the seller's arse, by paypals rules the seller is responsible for transit even if it gets lost during shipment, the buyer can file a package not received claim through paypal, then paypal reverses the transaction and the seller get's the money from the transaction removed from his account, and the buyer gets refunded. Insurance is the way the seller gets either his item or his money back.

May 24, 2006 at 11:45 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
When I sell something, I insure it. The only exception would be if the buyer specifically does not want insurance, and agrees in advance that I will not be liable if the carrier loses the package or runs over it with a truck. My responsibility as a seller ends when the buyer has the item in his/her possession in the condition described in my ad.

IMO the seller owes you a refund or replacement, unless you specifically declined insurance. It's the seller's job to get the item to you. If the seller does not give you a refund or replacement, you have recourse if you paid by Paypal or credit card. Simply file a claim for non-delivery. Since the seller cannot provide proof of delivery (and in fact the tracking number shows non-delivery) the amount will be refunded to your Paypal account or credit card. If you used a credit card via Paypal, file with Paypal and wait for their decision before filing a credit card dispute.

The seller's error was not losing the package. The error was shipping the package without insurance. When a seller does that (without the buyer's knowledge and consent), the seller is to all intents and purposes self-insuring the package. The seller's responsibility ends when you have the item. Not before.

If the package does mysteriously reappear, and USPS can do that sometimes, you'd simply repay any refund you receive.

You got some good points there. I agree with you completely.

May 24, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
You got some good points there. I agree with you completely.

Yeah, and it's ridiculous how last time I sent an item, the guy at the post office forgot to ask if I wanted the a signature required (it should be by default selected, but he didn't give me a forum, and I completely forgot.) It's ridiculous, I hate shipping stuff.

May 24, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #27 of 32
This is the first time that I have had anything lost in transit. In researching my predicament and the responses here, the USPS loses packages constantly. It's amazing that anyone ever uses them. It's a shame that they are affiliated with the US government. That almost guarantees that you apathetic service and there is really nothing you can do about it.

EDIT: Does anybody know how long you have to wait until you can file a claim with PayPal? USPS said you have to wait 30 days to file a claim if the package is insured.

May 24, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

This is the first time that I have had anything lost in transit. In researching my predicament and the responses here, the USPS loses packages constantly. It's amazing that anyone ever uses them.

I think the USPS has a pretty good delivery percentage. Not sure how you come up with your conclusion. Have you compared the successful percentage of deliveries between the USPS, FedEx, and UPS?

May 24, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

EDIT: Does anybody know how long you have to wait until you can file a claim with PayPal? USPS said you have to wait 30 days to file a claim if the package is insured.

You can file a Paypal claim at any time after payment, but it must be done within 45 days of the payment (used to be 30 days, so check to be sure that I read the number right). If you miss the window, Paypal won't help you.

May 24, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

This is the first time that I have had anything lost in transit. In researching my predicament and the responses here, the USPS loses packages constantly. It's amazing that anyone ever uses them. It's a shame that they are affiliated with the US government. That almost guarantees that you apathetic service and there is really nothing you can do about it.

In my experience, USPS is the best conventional shipper. They're the most reliable and the most likely to get an item to the recipient with minimal damage.

UPS is the worst. Total apathy on every level, and by far the most likely to cause significant damage during transit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back