I got my first set of Electrostats
Jun 19, 2006 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

vpivinylspinner

1000+ Head-Fier
I really didn't need another set of headphones but I just couldn't pass up the deal. Just got a used set of SRS-4040 with the 006t power supply off of Audiogon. Been meaning to try out a set and these looked to be in pretty good condition.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1155927903

Anyone have any experience with this setup?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 6
I've listened quite happily to the 404's with the 007t amp. Very quick and detailed with a strong upper mids emphasis (very forward male vocals). I'd imagine (based on what I've read here) that the 006t would give you a very close approximation of the 007t sound. If so, I'd give it a big thumbs up! You might get a bit of listener fatigue after 3-4 hours, but hey.

Jun 19, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 6
I had the sr-404 paired up with a kgss, and i can honestly say it was only slightly behind the 1,800 omega II headphone. I give you two thumbs up! You'll have lots of great listening ahead. ENJOY

Jun 19, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 6
Yeah, so far I have only heard the high end electrostats at the National Meet. I thought both the Omega II and HE90 sounded great at Bozebutton's table. I also listened to Jaybar's set up for a bit and was really impressed with vocals and percussion. I have to get everything together and decide which setup goes with me to the West Coast for a few months. Headphiled K340s and Dynahi or K1000 and Pass Labs Aleph J or this set up. I think this one might be a bit polarizing for everyday use but I will at least give it a try.

Jeff

Jun 20, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 6
Just make sure to experiment with as many sources for this combo as you can get your hands on. The SR-404's weakness is tonal balance, and if you are able to compensate for it, then you will have a true giant slayer on your hands. Other than their tonal imbalances, the SR-404's get a great many things very very right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back