I got kicked out of Stereo Exchange
Aug 20, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #31 of 181
I think I'll wait until someone uTooobs the security cam footage before forming any real opinion here.

TLI for anything else really.

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #32 of 181
So I've been sitting here for what seems like forever trying to collect my thoughts on this subject.  Well here goes:

First off, I want to commend Marco for how he handled this.  I know, I wouldn't have been anywhere near as forgiving as he was.  This really gets under my skin, all they gain from this is a pissed/turned off customer and I think this is an absurd way to handle this situation, from a customer service standpoint.  Also, If you don't like how online merchants work then you need to adapt or do something to set yourself apart instead of crying and kicking people out.  I actually think the integration of their new headphone room (from what I saw on the InnerFidelity article), sets them apart and great customer service would have only furthered this.  I even wanted to go there and see it for myself but I don't care to now.  I'm currently saving up for "endgame" amp that they stock (I put endgame in quotes because I'm sure I won't consider it endgame in a few years... *cough* upgraditus!).

I think to ever treat someone in this way is absolutely outrageous, regardless of if they have a blog or some other kind of internet persona.  This is customer service 101 to me.  I realize they have the right to refuse service to people but come on, it would have only yielded them free press/advertising and get more people into the store.  Given the way they treated Marco, now they get negative press so in the end they've only hurt themselves.  "Word of mouth" can catch on like wildfire and if they continue to treat people this way, they'll only drive themselves into the ground.  I hope they don't but it doesn't sound like they are learning anything.

Admittedly, I do try to get the best price when I'm purchasing a product but if I like the experience at a store that sells the product for a little bit more, then I will definitely purchase it there instead.  So in my eyes for them to kick you out because of this, would usually result in them receiving yet another negative review...  Some people just can't change/learn...

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #33 of 181
I'm surprised since I've had only friendly good service from Stereo Exchange.  But, I will say that the woman there I believe is the owner's wife, and the few times I've seen her she always seems to not be friendly to anyone, customers or staff.  She is definitely not a sales oriented person nor does she have a customer friendly attitude.  She mostly seems to be behind the register handling paperwork, like booking the sales and giving receipts.

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #34 of 181
If this story is accurate,  these people need a reality check.  I read their yelp reviews and it seems like it just might be the standard operating procedure there.

- You are a business that relies on sales to the public.
- You are a business that has decided to have a brick and mortar storefront.
- The internet exists.

Wouldn't you want the most foot traffic and exposure as possible?  And shouldn't you then make customer service a priority to all these "possible sales".

Wouldn't you want more people reading about products you stock....on say....internet reviews.

Supporting local businesses is nice and all. But if you as a business are charging significantly more than the product can be bought elsewhere, then at best you're relying on the generosity of others and not a business plan.

Newsflash:  Its 2014, people buy things on the internet.  If you want them in your store and as customers don't be a dick.

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #36 of 181
If this story is accurate,  these people need a reality check.  I read their yelp reviews and it seems like it just might be the standard operating procedure there.

- You are a business that relies on sales to the public.
- You are a business that has decided to have a brick and mortar storefront.
- The internet exists.

Wouldn't you want the most foot traffic and exposure as possible?  And shouldn't you then make customer service a priority to all these "possible sales".

Wouldn't you want more people reading about products you stock....on say....internet reviews.

Supporting local businesses is nice and all. But if you as a business are charging significantly more than the product can be bought elsewhere, then at best you're relying on the generosity of others and not a business plan.

Newsflash:  Its 2014, people buy things on the internet.  If you want them in your store and as customers don't be a dick.

Omg their yelp reviews are dreadful!

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #37 of 181
Aug 22, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #38 of 181
Audio Asylum is largely inhabited by a buch of hateful, spiteful individuals anymore. I say this after watching it evolve over the past 14 years.

se

Well, the name does say it all, really.

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #39 of 181
  Check out the long discussion on Audioasylum:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/68/680804.html

Negatives and positives are discussed, and there seems to be more support for the company's point of view.

I hadn't seen that until now — thanks.

No sweat off my back. Most of the commenters there are either already angry at some nonexistent internet-buyer straw man that I'm not, or didn't even read my post. I don't think any of them actually made a valid criticism against something I actually said, did, or intended to do. (Also, I'd love to hear the manager's perspective on what happened and how it differs from what I've said here.)

I also had full intentions of possibly buying headphones or other components from them if I actually found something I wanted to buy there, but I wasn't given the chance. And again, that was their choice, and I understand why they made it. I don't think the level of anger and dismissiveness from some of those AA commenters is fair or warranted, especially since no part of the actual conversation and events were as hostile as they're being. I'm curious, for the doubters that insist that there must be more to the story: What do you suspect that I'm omitting?

Anyway, I respect the community here much more than AA. That's why I'm here and not there.

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #40 of 181
People who have been established a long time don't like dealing with change.

It reminds me a lot of a common kind of car accident -- the rear-ender. The car in front stops suddenly and the person behind, in instant panic about hitting the car in front....hits the car in front as they slam on the brakes. The experienced, fearless driver will swerve neatly around the car.

But overall, people drive towards their fears. The more you focus on something, the more you move towards it.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #41 of 181
I hadn't seen that until now — thanks.

No sweat off my back. Most of the commenters there are either already angry at some nonexistent internet-buyer straw man that I'm not, or didn't even read my post. I don't think any of them actually made a valid criticism against something I actually said, did, or intended to do. (Also, I'd love to hear the manager's perspective on what happened and how it differs from what I've said here.)

Yeah, if you're ever in need of a straw man, AA's the place to go.

se

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #43 of 181
Where does it say you got kicked out of Stereo Exchange? You just say you left. The headline alone shows me your rather biased and were perhaps expecting some sort of confrontation - and selected the aggressive headline to get site traffic. Words are powerful and your thoughtlessness in sharing this unfortunate (and likely exaggerated) experience is damaging the reputation of a noble NYC audio store just trying to stay on their feet when competing with the likes of Amazon. Most of the time Amazon sells at cost to force prices lower. The folks at Stereo Exchange may not be perfect, but they are trying… Pay the rent that Stereo Exchange pays each month in NYC and see how objective you'd be hosting an internet reviewer in your store.

I've know Stereo Exchange for decades and bought there when I can. I still have my Well Tempered turntable, Conrad Johnson PV-5 preamp, db systems db-6 power amp that were all bought there as used items… along with my newly purchased Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. 

Please visit the store. Stereo Exchange may not be perfect, but they are slowly becoming the only local alternative to online purchasing. Give them some room to be, well, human. They've suffered through decades of decline in the audio business and they are still with us offering a walk-in audio store experience. The headphone lounge is a brilliant concept. Where else do you find that? Online? Dave's wife doesn't work there often. You possibly caught one of their casual sales people on a hurried night with the headphone lounge opening.

Please visit the store.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #44 of 181
Where does it say you got kicked out of Stereo Exchange? You just say you left.

Good lord, can't you read?

She called him and presented the case. "There's someone here who wants to try our equipment and then tell people to buy it online. We don't want him in here, right?… OK, that's what I thought." [hangs up] "No, we won't allow that. You need to go."

What part of "You need to go" don't you understand?

se

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #45 of 181
Stereo Exchange was  born pre-internet. They chosen to compete with their brick and mortar location, unlike most of their competition. If you feel that they might have been wrong here, visit for your self and give them a chance to get it right. Many of the commenters who are choosing to write SE off clearly spend too much time searching reviews out on the internet rather than spending time at audio stores gaining a first hand audio experience. Oh, that's right, the internet killed all the audio stores… so it's better to support the few we have and allow them to grow. There's more to selecting audio components than reading and assembling a stack of good review - there's a synergy to a nicely assembled system that a pile of good reviews can't impart. Thank God for the audio stores that allowed me to hang around for hours teaching me to listen with my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back