I got beat up last night...
Mar 16, 2003 at 4:15 PM Post #16 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
Oh yeah, there are other types of spray cans I could use, good idea. - But it is important I get something that will completely immobilize or scare the bully. I really can't think straight right now.. what do you think would be best?

Well, any spay I can think about has alcohol or something that burns in contact with the eyes. That should be scary enough.

Mar 16, 2003 at 4:25 PM Post #17 of 111
Flasken-
I think what's important right now is that you relax and try to put yourself at ease in your home.

Try taking a long hot bath.

Listen to some favorite music.

Aspirin should help the soreness.

Eat some chocolate.

Treat yourself good today and don't think you have to make any major decisions. Right now, your body is in shock from the attack and it's best that you really try to give yourself some time to recoup.

Just ask yourself...."What would Homer do?"
smily_headphones1.gif

John

Mar 16, 2003 at 4:31 PM Post #18 of 111
Quote:

On the way home last night me and my friend were attacked by two other guys for no reason at all, except that they wanted to fight. I've now got a few wounds in my forehead that hurt pretty badly. And I'm having trouble finding a comfortable position to sit in since my back hurts a bit. And my nose is really sore.

After getting beat up, we went to another friend of mine who lives close to where we were attacked. His mom took me to a doctor. Luckily, no stitches were needed.

I was surprised by how much the wounds bled. My friend almost panicked when he saw my bloody face.

I guess I was pretty lucky...

It's reading **** like this that makes me lose all hope for mankind.

Mar 16, 2003 at 4:33 PM Post #19 of 111
I'm very sorry to hear about that man. It's too bad also about the draconian self-defense restrictions in your country. Maybe you could take a self-defense class? Learn some Krav-Maga?
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2003 at 4:49 PM Post #20 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
I'm very sorry to hear about that man. It's too bad also about the draconian self-defense restrictions in your country. Maybe you could take a self-defense class? Learn some Krav-Maga?
wink.gif

I'll find some information...

[edit: found a kravmaga class near me. I'll consider taking the class. Does anyone have experience with kravmaga?]

Mar 16, 2003 at 4:58 PM Post #21 of 111
Self defense classes are good....but only after you've reached a certain proficiency level and more important.....as long as you are willing to go on the offensive at a moment's notice. Many fights are over after the first punch and if you aren't already the aggressive type, any hesitation in using your combat skills to their fullest, will still likely result with you on the ground. Still, it's better to have the skill than not.

Mar 16, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #22 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
Self defense classes are good....but only after you've reached a certain proficiency level and more important.....as long as you are willing to go on the offensive at a moment's notice. Many fights are over after the first punch and if you aren't already the aggressive type, any hesitation in using your combat skills to their fullest, will still likely result with you on the ground. Still, it's better to have the skill than not.

Mike has a point. If you take lessons don't think you are ready for a fist figth after the first class. And keep in mind that self-defense is better applied when you use it to avoid being punched and make an opportunity to run away.

Mar 16, 2003 at 5:28 PM Post #23 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
Mike has a point. If you take lessons don't think you are ready for a fist figth after the first class. And keep in mind that self-defense is better applied when you use it to avoid being punched and make an opportunity to run away.

I've read into this "kravmaga" thing.. it is very intrigueing.

"Krav Maga is the official hand-to-hand combat system of the Israeli Defense Forces. It's also the preferred system for U.S. Military and law enforcement personnel.Krav Maga is not a traditional martial art. No katas. No rituals. No nonsense.
Based on simple principles and instinctive movements,
this reality-based system is designed to teach real self defense in the shortest possible time. Learn to defend against common chokes, grabs, and bearhugs, as well as weapons such as guns, knives, and sticks.
Just as important, we teach people to function during the stress and shock of a sudden, violent encounter.
"

Mar 16, 2003 at 5:53 PM Post #24 of 111
Quote:

I've read into this "kravmaga" thing.. it is very intrigueing.

"Krav Maga is the official hand-to-hand combat system of the Israeli Defense Forces. It's also the preferred system for U.S. Military and law enforcement personnel.Krav Maga is not a traditional martial art. No katas. No rituals. No nonsense.
Based on simple principles and instinctive movements,
this reality-based system is designed to teach real self defense in the shortest possible time. Learn to defend against common chokes, grabs, and bearhugs, as well as weapons such as guns, knives, and sticks.
Just as important, we teach people to function during the stress and shock of a sudden, violent encounter.
"

Sounds interesting. Also sounds easier than Dim-Mak. I took judo, karate and lima-lama when I was a kid, and always ended up being beaten up until I started to figth like a normal person again. Really, all those ritualis only workwhen used with people who also practices martial arts and has that imbeded code of honour. If someone wants to beat you to a pulp, the only way to defend yourself is to punch harder or deflect the blows. A butterfly blow can work wonders with an idiot, but is always better to just go away (Damn! My psycologist would be proud if she could read this!!!)

Mar 16, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #26 of 111
I've always wanted to learn Kravmaga -- it was invented by a Russian immigrant to Israel who was trained in wrestling, boxing, and I think some Eastern martial arts as well. He combined them into as simple a fighting style as he could. I took Ultimate lessons from a senior last year (we mainly did boxing) but he graduated and I haven't done much martial arts this year (though I get enough bruises from rugby as always
wink.gif
). I'm dying to learn Krav Maga as it sounds very interesting and useful.

Sorry to hijack your thread.
frown.gif
But anyway, take those classes and tell us what you think!

Mar 16, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #27 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
Flasken: Just get yourself a devoted Great Dane.
smily_headphones1.gif

A female boxer would be better, they are faster and smarter than those Scooby Doo relatives. Besides, they eat too much.

Mar 16, 2003 at 6:25 PM Post #28 of 111
Did you give back as much as you got?

If yes, then what's the problem? If no, then maybe you should take up track. The gist I get is that you have very little experience with fights, and are afraid to get hurt.

Forget all these wierd obscure book-type martial arts. Judo/ Jiujitsu from a good Dojo can teach you how to subue your opponent till he''ll give up. Boxing will teach you to defend your head, face (most important) , and upper torso, as well as how to deliver your fair share of hurt. Both will accustom you to getting hit etc.

If you don't plan at least five years of dedicated training, stick with track. Nothing wrong with running away, unless there are girls present.

Mar 16, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #29 of 111
Anyway, being in good physical condition could never hurt. Boxing would be something I would try after something like this. Just get stronger, faster and fitter. Easy to say and hard to do but in the long run you'll feel good and be confident. Oh, and maybe run some scenarios in your head that are similar to your attack. Think about what you would do in each one and if it ever happens again you might be able to react quicker and more appropriately.

Mar 16, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #30 of 111
Sorry to hear that flasken. I guess English hooligans travel all over the world to attack people. A friend of mine was jumped by a few English Hooligans, he threw them a beating though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back