I got beat up last night...
Mar 16, 2003 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
On the way home last night me and my friend were attacked by two other guys for no reason at all, except that they wanted to fight. I've now got a few wounds in my forehead that hurt pretty badly. And I'm having trouble finding a comfortable position to sit in since my back hurts a bit. And my nose is really sore.

After getting beat up, we went to another friend of mine who lives close to where we were attacked. His mom took me to a doctor. Luckily, no stitches were needed.

I was surprised by how much the wounds bled. My friend almost panicked when he saw my bloody face.

I guess I was pretty lucky...

Mar 16, 2003 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 111
Flasken-
I am really sorry to hear that. I was mugged in New York back in the early 80s. It was a horrible feeling of violation and there was lots of blood. I know what you are dealing with.

In my case the motive was money. The guy took my wallet, took out the cash...but tossed the wallet back to me. What he didn't get out of my wallet were my Springsteen tickets for a concert that weekend.

Hope you feel better soon.
John

Mar 16, 2003 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 111
Quote:

I guess I was pretty lucky...

That's looking at it positively.

I'm glad you're OK though. We only have enough bandwidth available for one coma victim at a time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously though, you were lucky. It seems like every other week, somebody gets stabbed or shot at a club in Toronto. It could have been worse.

Mar 16, 2003 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 111
I'm glad that you're OK...that really sucks.

When I was a student in Ann Arbor, I was walking home late one night and was jumped by three big uglies. I was fortunate that the police happened by just a few moments after they finally caught up with me. Still, not a nice way to top off an evening.

After that, I started carrying a sock full of quarters when I went out late. Fortunately, I never had to use it.

Mar 16, 2003 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
Flasken-
I am really sorry to hear that. I was mugged in New York back in the early 80s. It was a horrible feeling of violation and there was lots of blood. I know what you are dealing with.

In my case the motive was money. The guy took my wallet, took out the cash...but tossed the wallet back to me. What he didn't get out of my wallet were my Springsteen tickets for a concert that weekend.

What a polite bully!
evil_smiley.gif

How were you injured? In the face? It's incredible how much it bleeds from there.. Yesterday I couldn't feel anything at all to begin with. I was really shocked when I looked at my self in the mirror.

Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant

Seriously though, you were lucky. It seems like every other week, somebody gets stabbed or shot at a club in Toronto. It could have been worse.

It could have been MUCH worse... And I meant it when I said I was lucky..

Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant

I'm glad you're OK though. We only have enough bandwidth available for one coma victim at a time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Heh, sorry, I didn't mean to rob Fred of Head-fi's attention.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2003 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
I'm glad that you're OK...that really sucks.

When I was a student in Ann Arbor, I was walking home late one night and was jumped by three big uglies. I was fortunate that the police happened by just a few moments after they finally caught up with me. Still, not a nice way to top off an evening.

After that, I started carrying a sock full of quarters when I went out late. Fortunately, I never had to use it.

I'm also considering carrying protection from now on... Do you think that's a good idea?

Mar 16, 2003 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 111
I'm of two minds about it:

On one hand, it can aid you in fending off a superior adversary most effectively.

On the other hand, once you take it out you've upped the ante quite a bit. What might have once been a simple beating can end up being much worse.

I come down on the side of self defense, but it is not an easy call.

Mar 16, 2003 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
What a polite bully!
evil_smiley.gif

How were you injured? In the face? It's incredible how much it bleeds from there.. Yesterday I couldn't feel anything at all to begin with. I was really shocked when I looked at my self in the mirror.

Yup, punched in the nose then punched in the mouth and the guy had a ring on. Split my lip. I was also shocked at the amount of blood.

Mar 16, 2003 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros

If it's any consolation, your mugger was obviously an unsophisticated philastine.
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2003 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
I'm of two minds about it:

On one hand, it can aid you in fending off a superior adversary most effectively.

On the other hand, once you take it out you've upped the ante quite a bit. What might have once been a simple beating can end up being much worse.

I come down on the side of self defense, but it is not an easy call.

I'm afraid the perpetrator will take my weapon and use it against me...

Mar 16, 2003 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
I'm afraid the perpetrator will take my weapon and use it against me...

That's why the ante is upped...if you take it out, it has to be clear that it's going to be used. Otherwise, among other things, you risk just this sort of thing.

I never had to use mine, so I don't know for sure how I would have reacted.

Mar 16, 2003 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 111
Sorry to heat the bad news Flasken. At least you are better now. I am always having trouble with people, but I am trying to avoid reacting violently every time. Sometimes, and I can hardly believe I am writing this, it's better to get beaten up a little than react and create a situation that could get ugly. In any case, there's no better gun than a zapper, mace, or pepper spray when dealing with only one idiot. Use it and leave. When dealing with two or more, just cooperate. Like we say down here, "relax and enjoy the trip".

But, really, I am glad to see you still have your sense of humor. Take care bud.

Carlos

Mar 16, 2003 at 3:21 PM Post #13 of 111
Onix,

A peperspray would be ideal. Unfortunately they are illegal in Denmark. So are stun guns. Any other suggestions?

Mar 16, 2003 at 3:31 PM Post #14 of 111
You know, I have no idea then. But I would recomend something that allows you to stun your attacker while keeping him at a distance. How about a hair spray can? A small one can fit in a pocket and you just have to point it to the eyes of the atacker. Spay paint is even better, you just have to point the police to the guy with the purple face.

Mar 16, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #15 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
You know, I have no idea then. But I would recomend something that allows you to stun your attacker while keeping him at a distance. How about a hair spray can? A small one can fit in a pocket and you just have to point it to the eyes of the atacker. Spay paint is even better, you just have to point the police to the guy with the purple face.

Oh yeah, there are other types of spray cans I could use, good idea. - But it is important I get something that will completely immobilize or scare the bully. I really can't think straight right now.. what do you think would be best?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back