I Give Up
May 25, 2005 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Nrbelex

Head-Fier
Well... for the past two weeks, I've been trying to get the whole idea behind high quality headphones. It seemed pretty straight-forward at first; a $5 pair would sound horrible while the E2C's I bought would sound... at least significantly better. After re-ripping a bunch of CD's for 320kbps MP3's, and comparing some of the better "reference" CD's (Dark Side of the Moon), I have come to the conclusion that while my hearing is not "impaired", I cannot truly tell the difference between the Sony's included with an old discman and my new canalphones. SO... while they are great for airplanes and any other situation where I'll appreciate noise-cancellation, I think I give up on trying to pick out minute differences in songs that I can't really hear between the two pairs. It's been fun...
icon10.gif

~ Brett

P.S. - I managed to hold onto my wallet.
icon10.gif

May 25, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 12
As long as they make you happy while listening to your favorite music then your wallet is relatively safe. However that can all change vey quickly, enjoy the music.

May 25, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 12
Wrong approach my friend....

IMHO most canal phones offer very poor sound quality for the $$$. They are TOPS when you need isolation, but thats where it ends.

If its sound quality youre after, think traditional headphones first... HD580, K240s, HD280, K501, DT250/770.

Now... if you need them to be semi portable... think Eggo, MDRV6, portapro, SR60, UR40, SR40.

Now if you need maximum portability... think Senn MX series, KSC75, KSC35, Sony e888, MD33 (Sony EX, koss plug intentionally omitted)

IMHO Canalphones should only be considered if isolation is the top priority, given their typically high dollar to sound quality ratio.

Note also, e2cs improve with burn in. (Burn in DOES exist dammit!!!). Give them 100 hours of loud music, out of a home receiver and they start to settle. IMHO they really need an amp to shine. I amp mine with a PA2 and the mids / highs clear up noticeably, bass resonates lower and the sound overall is much tighter and less conjested.

Audios Muchacho... its been nice knowing you!!!

Garrett

May 25, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
Man you are so lucky!You have just saved yourself so much money!Enjoy!
icon10.gif

Lucky? hah. I personally would rather be poor and enjoying the pleasures of good sound than rich and never be able to realize the benifits of good sound.

May 25, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Lucky? hah. I personally would rather be poor and enjoying the pleasures of good sound than rich and never be able to realize the benifits of good sound.

I totally agree! I guess that means I'm stuck here forever(or at least until I find a way to get myself banned by some very obscene incident), eh?

biggrin.gif
Abe

May 25, 2005 at 9:13 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Nobody has mentioned a crucial flaw and weak link in his system?
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

But shouldn't he hear some difference? I've never heard a source so bad that better headphone's couldn't make it better. But then again, I may just not have gone that far down the barrel!
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, it is possible that you simply can't hear the difference. Some people can't at first (it takes time for the mind to adjust sometimes) others never can. But I would guess that it is either a similar characteristic between the two (as has been noted, some of us are less than thrilled with canal phones) or it might be that the e2cs need time to break in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back