i found out why i'm hesitating.. Change in plans.. Sorry
Mar 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

jayeshrc

100+ Head-Fier
well i've honestly never heard an open pair of cans i've liked and so i'm hesitating on the ad700 purchase.. And i'm sure its not gonna just go away so i've decided to go the closed headphone route.. I've been lookin around and the two most popular have been the d1001 and the hd25.. Which is better suited for a metalhead? And which amp should i get to use it with an ipod classic? Overall budget is $150

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 70
I'd guess the D1001 is better for metal, because of its mid-scooped nature. But I haven't spent any significant amount of time with the HD25. I only heard it once, and that was before I started to really care about headphones.

The thing is, just go ahead and buy something. You've probably reached the point where you have as much information as you can possibly use without just going ahead and trying things out. Get a decent headphone, give it a month of regular use, and then go from there.

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 70
i've heard some really ****ty open cans(cant remember names but they sounded so thin to me).. I've briefly tried the a700 and i did like its sound but it felt loose and thats another reason i'm rethinkin abt the ad700.. Damn you're right i should just buy one and try it out for a month or so.. But i live in india and if i ever wanna get rid of em it'll be really hard and it'd be a while before i can get another pair coz my busin
tongue.gif
bringin em for me from the us.. I'm bloody confused guys.. I wanna take your word that the open camp do sound good but i'm literally SCARED by the thought that maybe i wont like em..

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 70
something tells me that you'd be happier with the d1001.

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd guess the D1001 is better for metal, because of its mid-scooped nature. But I haven't spent any significant amount of time with the HD25. I only heard it once, and that was before I started to really care about headphones.

The thing is, just go ahead and buy something. You've probably reached the point where you have as much information as you can possibly use without just going ahead and trying things out. Get a decent headphone, give it a month of regular use, and then go from there.

Why do you think scooped mids is better for metal? I think the opposite, metal needs good strong mids, to hear the guitars and vocals. HD25 is really good with metal IMO, it rocks without an amp and it improves when amped.

I haven't heard D1001 or AD700, maybe those are better for the OP, I just wanted to comment on the HD25.

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 70
So, you really haven't listened to a good open headphone. Personally, I prefer open and only the occasional closed headphone.

Have you considered something like a used Grado SR-225? They're awfully good for metal and rock. I've heard a few Denons and Audio-Technicas, but nothing rocks like a Grado.

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 70
Dude, where do you live?
Im in mumbai, and if we are in the same city, you can try out my ad700's.
But, im going to dubai tomorrow, and will be returning on the 1st.

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #14 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you think scooped mids is better for metal? I think the opposite, metal needs good strong mids, to hear the guitars and vocals. HD25 is really good with metal IMO, it rocks without an amp and it improves when amped.

I haven't heard D1001 or AD700, maybe those are better for the OP, I just wanted to comment on the HD25.

Yup. Guitars life are in the midrange, you want good and sharp midrange and punchy bass. V-style sound with boosted bass and treble but recessed mids is more suitable for electronic thump thump music IMHO.

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #15 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I guess I meant more "lower-mid mids" scoop. The D1001 has a pretty noticeable hump/spike in the the presence frequencies, which are in the upper mids/lower high freqs.

So you get the aggressiveness that makes Grados good for metal, with a little more mid bass, which I find good for metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back