I found myself watching Requiem for a Dream again today, I hate to love this movie.
Mar 11, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. On this, a forum mainly dedicated to audio, nobody has mentioned the absolutely fantastic soundtrack not to mention the sound work in general this movie has. On a good 5.1 setup this movie is an absolute treat. The movie as a whole is on my top 10 list somewhere, though I couldn't tell ya where.

Indeed, one hell of a soundtrack made by Clint Mansell. He has also made the soundtrack for Pi. Some paranoid music.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #17 of 31
This movie really made me feel really bad after I watched it, I still remember it X years later.
I guess it's effective at what it's trying to get across.

I also liked the Simpsons' parody on this, where Homer displays similar addicted behaviour to a hamburger, that made me laugh my ass off instead.

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #18 of 31
I feel the same way about pokemon. Ash Ketchum is just so noble.

Mar 11, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #20 of 31
I watched this for the first time last night. I know the feeling some people have described. It moved me, and scared me. But it's an amazing film.
I had the sountrack for ages before watching the film.

Any recommendatiosn for films similar to this, other than those suggested?

Mar 12, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Clockwork Orange left me with a similar feeling. Bad yet good.

not as blunt as Requiem for a Dream, but yes. I personally like the book better.
Just don't eat anything solid during those two movies
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #24 of 31
I'm also a Requiem for a Dream fan... Beautiful, intense, depressing. And I've been called a "sadistic person" for recommending it to friends!
Still, no other movie has made me feel as uncomfortable as Blue Velvet by David Lynch. It's another captivating movie, as is Mulholland Dr., for different reasons.

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #26 of 31
Bleh, reminded me too much of an x-rated after-school-special. Pi, now that was a great movie.

Mar 14, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #27 of 31
It's a superb movie, always in my all-time Top 10. But i'd never, ever watch it again.

Excellent soundtrack too, but it's as depressing as the movie so I don't listen to it much.

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #28 of 31
I typically get too emotionally involved in movies, so I had to just take this one at face value and not really do the "put myself in their shoes" sort of thing. It was alright, depressing yes, but its difficult to align with the characters because of their unending melancholy and squalor throughout the entire movie.

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #29 of 31
I've listened to the first bit of the soundtrack, but I've never seen the movie. Looks like I need to.

The soundtrack was so choppy. I grabbed it after listening to the fantastic fountain soundtrack. I was a bit disappointed to find Requiem's lacking transitions; choppiness began to bother me after a few tracks. Maybe I'll appreciate it more after I see the movie.

Mar 14, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #30 of 31
I've seen requiem a few years ago in theater.
It felt like someone threw a brick at your head.
Awesome movie, awesome soundtrack, depressing but awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back