I Finally bought the Denon D2000. Did I research Correctly?
Oct 10, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also just to reiterate my last question. How bad off will I be running my D2000's off my computer?
-Izzy

Not sure if they will actually sound BAD without an amp, but I do know a decent amp will certainly make them sound *better*.
But, be sure to allow at least 50 hours (100 hours even better) of burn-in before making decisions on the SQ. It really does improve with burn-in.
It did on both my D2000 and D5000.

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

How bad off will I be running my D2000's off my computer?

Depend on your soundcard, onboard? audigy? or something else?
I was running mine via Audigy 2 ZS (Paxx mod driver), and they running much better than via Yamaha Natural Sound Amp (which is a speaker amp not headphone amp).

But right now, I'm running it via ibasso D1, and it's a bliss~

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #33 of 44
Man, do the D2000's scale well.

For the past two weeks I've had to use my computers onboard sound card (terrible I know). I can normally tolerate it, but for some reason when I was listening to them yesterday, I just couldn't do it. The sound was THAT bad that I had to turn them off. (maybe I just wasn't in the mood, I don't know)

As I need music to do homework (yes I procrastinate that much
redface.gif
), I just went ahead and plugged in my Mini^3, which I'd been waiting to use as I didn't have any 9v batteries yet, and wow; what an improvement. Even though it's amplifying a terrible quality source, the sound quality overall increased dramatically. The bass became much more enjoyable and had much more impact, and the highs that were very sibilant mellowed out very nicely.

They're great headphones, I love the sound and comfort of them. You definitely made a good purchase.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the D2000 is very efficient and can sound very nice directly out of my iphone or Zune. However, I prefer to use an amp with external DAC when I use my laptops and desktops as transport. If you have a good amp, you should hear improvement in soundstage, image, frequency extension, texture, resolution, and even more. However, please keep in mind that some amps might give little or no improvement at all.

Well I hope that the Hornet (Currently Saving up for) will definantly show improvement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if they will actually sound BAD without an amp, but I do know a decent amp will certainly make them sound *better*.
But, be sure to allow at least 50 hours (100 hours even better) of burn-in before making decisions on the SQ. It really does improve with burn-in.
It did on both my D2000 and D5000.

I will definantly take burn-in into consideration, I'll have to give the D2000 that lag time then give the amp the burn-in to really judge the sound quality which the only thing I can compare it to is the vibes and my prefrence in sound I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depend on your soundcard, onboard? audigy? or something else?
I was running mine via Audigy 2 ZS (Paxx mod driver), and they running much better than via Yamaha Natural Sound Amp (which is a speaker amp not headphone amp).

But right now, I'm running it via ibasso D1, and it's a bliss~

I'm sure my laptop soundcard is very cheapo I would assume

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #35 of 44
IMO, the D-2000s sound Very respectable and to a higher degree of their sonic potential being driven by the most meagar amplification[Think: Shuffle, lowest end soundcards etc.], similarly so, in this regard as my previously owned Grado RS-2, sound quality wise. Of course, even with both mentioned phones above, better amplification will tighten up and plum the depths of their bass frequencys output, similarly as to what the better audiophile approved 185w Plinus stereo amplifier would afford, say a ProAc 2.5 in this regard. Better and useually it follows, higher priced amplification in both Headphones or home stereo systems simply are more articulate and of higher resolution with many added and noticable refinements to the presentation of the signal to the transducers as well as having greater control over the drivers. In the case of these D2000s, yes there is marked improvements in all these areas with better amplification, most noticed immidetly in the control of their bass frequencys, however they are my most easily listenable phone in my collection being underdriven as they present closer to their full potential and are enjoyable so, even in that case...

Hope this helps OP, again, a great choice for an entry to a higher level of quality sound reproduction than say, my first foray with the HD-580s & HD-650 with less than better amplification for them [HeadFive], at that time here...

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #36 of 44
Before I sold my previous setup, I had a 6G 160gb iPod Classic and before that a 5.5G 80gb iPod. Connected with a carbon/cotton LOD from APureSound (the best cables out there!) to an XP Amp (performance version). Now my setup had stayed basically the same for the past year, with my only upgrading from 80gb to 160gb for the last week I had the rig. In that year I had the following headphones...

AKG K701
Grado SR-225
Grado RS-2
Grado HF-1
Audio Technica ES7
V-Moda Vibes
Crossroads MylarOne X3

and

Denon D2000 (which I got from jellybones)

And while I am a huge Grado fanboy, The Denon D2000's where without a doubt the best set of headphones from that bunch. The only thing I wanted to do was to have Alex (APureSound - [AK]Zip) recable them. It still hurts to think that I sold this setup. But I will eventually replace it with a very similar setup and the cans will almost certainly be Denons again.

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

I'm sure my laptop soundcard is very cheapo I would assume

Some laptop audio outputs are very decent... it depends on the manufacturer.

The biggest problem with audio output in Windows is the kernel sound mixer. Bypassing it via an ASIO direct output driver is absolutely key to good fidelity out of any Windows-based PC.

Personally, I use Foobar2000 and ASIO4ALL in Windows, it makes a great lossless audio platform, even with the drawbacks of a sound card analog stage.

Nov 9, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #41 of 44
One D2000 just appeared in the FS forum..suggest you check it out...

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #43 of 44
Hey,

I'm going to be in Japan in about a month and thought I might look at picking these up while I'm there.

Are the Denon's cheaper in Japan, or would I be better getting them online?? (I live in Australia, so I don't know where/at what price I could get them here)

How big a difference is there between the D2000 and the D1000. The D2000s are pushing my budget a fair bit to be honest and I'd have to be certain that they were worth the extra money. At half the price, maybe D1000s are better value???

Lastly, where would I be best off purchasing these in Japan?? Is a Yodobashi-type department store my best bet (they're listed as about 30k yen on their website), or should I shop around the small electronics stores in Akihabara for a bargain?? Obviously I can go to Yodobashi first to give them a listen.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #44 of 44
I have been listening to them for a a week and they are Amazing. Seriously if you can pick these up do it. You will not regret it and they work just great powered by my computer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back