I feel like I'm starting a game (Beginner asking for suggestions/comments)
Jul 12, 2010 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gabbuhh

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-fi,

So, I'm another one of the people new to the audiophile world, and looking to upgrade my.... uh basically nonexistent setup. So I'm pretty much starting on a clean slate and I want to make sure I start splurging off correctly, with maybe the blessing of some other audiophile heads in here.

What I want to do: Create electro tracks, particularly trance, and moving to vocal trance / more vocal projects in a couple years when I am more experienced.

What I have: Macbook Pro 17" (2 gens back, not sure what the sound card is, it isn't apparent under settings), an old 61-key midi keyboard, DAW (Reason), some $20 Sony IEM I found at BestBuy.

So after spending the better part of the last 2 days reading about audio technology and determining what would be most appropriate, this is what I'm leaning towards:
1) Ultrasone HFI-780
Why? Allegedly it's specialty is bass. I need the type that just fills you in like you're swimming in it, good quality and good quantity. The S-Logic technology seems interesting. I also want something upfront and 3d, with not too large of a soundstage (don't want the music sound like it's coming from too far away). Also, these are not too expensive and won't require an amp and all that mess of equipment.

I also want closed headphones because I don't want my music to be too audible to someone nearby. However, eventually, I do want an open set for just listening enjoyment (since supposedly open cans are overall better sound quality / more natural sounding), maybe after I am more appropriately upgraded in other equipment.

Budget: ~ $300. I feel like anything above that for your first pair of real headphones is a little ridiculous.

But, eventually, I would need additional equipment, and that is how I came up with this list that I've accumulated from reading many threads:

Audiofire 4
Musiland ___
Bithead Total
Nuforce uDAC
Matrix M-Stage
EC/SS
Original Electronics Master
Audio GD FUN
Matrix Mini-I
Audinst HUD-MX1
iBasso D4
maverick audio
beresford tc-7520

With also a budget of $300, what is a recommended piece of equipment that will last me for a while if I were to do some upgrades in the future? Again, I have the basic (probably terrible) internal sound card, and that is why I would need a DAC right? However, I read with music production it might be better to go with a brand new external sound card for the additional features?

Then, in terms of dealing with microphones, what are the reasons one would want to plug it into an audio fire interface like a M-Audio Firewire Solo as opposed to just simply plugging it directly into their computer?

Some other nagging questions in my mind I want to clear up:

1) Where to buy? The sponsors on the right don't seem too appropriate with enough selection, and some aren't even a distributor. Right now I've been mostly checking at Amazon. I saw a thread title about fakes?

2) Where to try it out? I live in the bay area (near San Francisco), I did a search for audio specialty shops and none seem to carry a large selection of high end headphones. I've been to the Best Buy's and Fry's and all I find are Beats by Dr. Dre, some Bose's, some Sony's, and a low-end Senn.

3)  In general, are headphones with higher impedance suppose to give more sound detail?

moz-screenshot-4.png

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png

moz-screenshot-3.png

moz-screenshot-5.png
moz-screenshot-6.png

moz-screenshot-7.png

Above is an example of 2 specs I was looking at. The DJ1 PRO's specs are almost the same as the DJ1 except the PRO's have twice the impedance and and but ven lacks the seemingly favorable feature of the S-Logic Plus (shown in a separate section of the table). Yet, the Pro's have a higher retail value. So, unless someone favors the design and cables, and assuming the sensitivities are the same, are the Pro's more expensive because of the greater potential sound clarity despite needing something to drive it more?

4) Where do I view the headphones of the month? Is there somewhere specific I can go to see the latest released headphones?

Thanks for saving me a couple more days of reading!

Gabe

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 6
1) First decide what you want to buy, then decide where to buy it.

2) Check for local meets or find a store like guitar center.  They'll have the sort of headphones you're looking for.

3) There are way too many other variables do make that kind of determination.  Impedance is important because a High impedance 'phone wants more voltage and less current, while the reverse is true for low impedance 'phones.  Some amps are better at supplying voltage and others are better at supplying current.

4) New headphones aren't released that often.

If you are going to use these headphones to create music, rather than just listening for enjoyment, then you'll want a pair of studio monitor 'phones.  Monitor 'phones are generally meant to give you and uncolored view of the audio and present it as it is, not as you'd like to hear it.  This is important because the mixes you make will (hopefully) be listened to by many people on many different systems, and generally need to sound good on everything.  If you add what you think is just the right amount of bass to a song you're making with those ultrasonnes, it likely won't have any kick at all on a more neutral system, and will certainly have less than you intended.  Monitor 'phones aren't generally supposed to be hi-fi "listening for pleasure" 'phones, though some like the Audio Technica M50 have crossed over are used as both.  The M50 is probably a good choice for you since it has stronger bass than many other monitor 'phones, but is still pretty neutral overall.  Find a guitar center, or the local equivalent, and check out the monitor 'phones and see what you like.  Also most of the ultrasonne "pro" series are more or less designed to be monitor 'phones, while the "HFI" are consumer oriented.

Jul 13, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for your reply! I'm actually planning to visit a Guitar Center this Sunday now. Before today, I haven't even consciously heard of one before.

1) So, if some amps are better at supply voltage/current, then wouldn't you usually want to get one that is better at supplying voltage (for the high impedance headphones)? Would people ever want to get an amplifier for low-impedance headphones (and hence want an amp that supplies current)?

2) Going back to my question #3 from my original post, what are some reasons someone would choose the DJ1 Pro's over the regular DJ1's?

3) Are there any other defining characteristics of a monitor headphone (other than being neutral)? Do they tend to fit all around the ear and are closed? I want to know so I can identify them and pick them out.

Thanks.

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 6
The Ultrasone DJ1s are one of the best low priced electronica headphones. It has bass impact that is difficult to usurp and the soundstage is really large for a closed headphone.

As for making music though, if you are primarily doing it for yourself, the DJ1s are fine. If not, then I would recommend a studio monitor such as Sony CD900ST. However, you would be missing the fun you could hear from your trance music from a pair of DJ1s.

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 6
1) Generally solid state amps are better at supplying current and tube amps (especially OTL, or Output Transformerless) are better at supplying voltage.  The best thing to do is look at the specs and of both the 'phones and the amp and see how they match up.  Generally an amp will be rated for a certain amount of power into a certain impedance, and the higher the better.  You won't use all of it, but headroom helps with quality.  This is a very general rule though, and not to be taken as gospel.

2) I don't know about that particular model, but generally ultrasonne's pro models have flatter response and are built tougher than their similar consumer models.

3) I've never seen a monitor 'phone that wasn't circumaural, but they aren't always closed.

I'd say the ATH-M50 is likely to be a good choice for you, but head over to guitar center and try it out.  I've heard they stock it.  If you end up with something tha's reasonably efficient and has low impedance, like the M50s, you may also want something like the uDAC.  I've never used one but its cheap, well reviewed, and should power the M50 well enough.  I don't know though, so you might want look around and find out for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back