I don't understand what the point of rockbox is
Nov 13, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #16 of 23
I think it's absolutely necessary for iPods though. It has no drag and drop...
frown.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #17 of 23
What has been mentioned + excellent EQ capabilities. No more terrible distortion when you push up the bass with an iPod on stock firmware.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you have?

Sansa clip.
It already does what I consider to be the best features of rockbox.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #20 of 23
However, I completely modded my iPod to run Rockbox and iPod Linux...basically, they were freaking awful. I loved having FLAC playback but my iPod was so, so, so slow.

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #21 of 23
From someone who bought a Sansa e280 because, and only because, he could Rockbox it:

FLAC support (which means nothing at 4gb, but handy once you add that 32g micro SDHC card)
Parametric EQ (Sansa had a crappy 5-band graphic)
Crossover tweaks
ReplayGain support (allows you to normalize your files using the ID3 tags)

Also, running just mp3s, it extended my battery life by 5 hours or so.

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #22 of 23
They are now starting to get gap less recordings like the Song Remains the Same to play as gap less on I-pods.

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #23 of 23
Been using rockbox on my H320 for years. It adds a lot of stuff over the stock firmware. For me it's mainly skins, album art support, gapless, games, and it's open source. I find myself using it for Sudoku, solitaire, etc. on planes every time. Might seem like I could pull something else out (and I could) but it's handy to have it all right there on the device already in use.

It's hard to imagine the player without it. I find the speed, battery life, and sound quality on par if not better than stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back