I don't think I've heard microphonics yet out of an IEM
Mar 26, 2009 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
I've just been reading various reviews of various IEMs on these forums over the last few days, and it's just occurred fully to me that I've never heard/detected and/or isolated microphonics in any of the IEMs I own! They are the Klipsch Image X10 (meant to be terrible for cable-noise), Sleek Audio SA6, Shure SE530, UE's TF10 Pro, Sennheiser IE8, Westone 3 and then the Klipsch Custom 2, Shure SE110 and Shure SE102, which I've, admittedly, barely used as of yet. I understand this might not be that alrming with most the models listed above, particulary when worn over-the-ear style. However, all these models and no (distinct/certain and/or seriously detracting) experience of microphonics! It strikes me as a tad odd. I believe microphonics are scratchy, squeeby noises; is this correct? Is it possible I'm just not very sensitive to microphonics and/or havn't tuned into their channel, so to speak, yet? Kinda like hiss from DAPs? At this stage, I'm simply bemused more than anything
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 13
If it doesn't bother you in any single bit, or the better!
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 13
Well I hear microphonics as when the cable gets hit... I hear a *thunk* or like a *plunk*. Just like annoying intermediary noises while listening to my music!

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 13
I wouldnt describe them as scrathcy of squeeby at all. Put some phones in your ears, dont even bother with a player hooked up, touch the cables and you should hear sound into your ears from touching the cables or rubbing them on your clothes. Try it with the cables straight down and not over ear for worse or in this situation more effects.

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it doesn't bother you in any single bit, or the better!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
I was dubious about tempting fate on this ocasion!

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudohippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldnt describe them as scrathcy of squeeby at all. Put some phones in your ears, dont even bother with a player hooked up, touch the cables and you should hear sound into your ears from touching the cables or rubbing them on your clothes. Try it with the cables straight down and not over ear for worse or in this situation more effects.

Ah, ok! Just tryin it with my Image X10s now and I think I understand what microphonics are now, following your directions there; just that thumping and plodding as the cable moves and makes contact with clothes etc, as you say? If so, definately percieving it now like
wink.gif
. Have to say though, as it's outside the music, if you know what I mean, it doesn't bother me all that much! Maybe with time or something it might, however...

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, ok! Just tryin it with my Image X10s now and I think I understand what microphonics are now, following your directions there; just that thumping and plodding as the cable moves and makes contact with clothes etc, as you say? If so, definately percieving it now like
wink.gif
. Have to say though, as it's outside the music, if you know what I mean, it doesn't bother me all that much! Maybe with time or something it might, however...

Hopefully not, your ears seem quite resistant.
wink.gif
I am a lot more resistant to sibilance than I am to microphonics.

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 13
Try an Etymotic ER6 / ER6i... and u'll understand
oh perhaps try to wear their IEMs straight down that might have more microphonics... it gets very annoying.
Especially with alot of movement. ER6i on an treadmill is really bad, over the ear style fixed the problem :p

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully not, your ears seem quite resistant.
wink.gif
I am a lot more resistant to sibilance than I am to microphonics.

I'm getting quite sensitive to sibilance recently- W3 and X10's have been exhibiting it harsh-unbearable with various tips/fits, to my ears- so there you go
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try to go out and have a jog :p I'm sure u will pull your hairs due to microphonic lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982
on an treadmill is really bad

Fair comment!
biggrin.gif
The more I rattle and whack these X10 cables against my chest etc as I lie here it does start to intrude upon the music and listening experience so I imagine this happening constantly when jogging would grow unbearable!

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #12 of 13
Yeah, I don't really mind microphonics at all even with my first IEM which were known to have bad microphonics but sibilance from the PFE irks me a little bit in a couple select songs.

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 13
T_T my recabled scl2s are really really microphonic, walking i can hear it "thunking", though i think thats completely my fault for using the wrong cable, but if i remember correctly the stock cable was pretty good until it turned waxy and stiff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back