I don't know what bad headphones sound like anymore!!!
Apr 3, 2008 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

filipelli

Headphoneus Supremus
It has been a long time since I have owned some crappy headphones.

I have been wanting to show my new friends what kind of hobbies I have, and so far they do not think I am crazy for really liking headphones and things audio. In fact, they think its cool, which is beyond me, because the average girl out there is into clothes and shoes. Me, I am into grado and my custom UEs. Haha. I feel beyond nerdy when I talk about headphones or sound. I don't know.

Anyway, they have been asking more about audio, and I want to show them what has been an addiction to me for the past 5 years. However, I have not heard a crappy can in a long time...I guess I am just worried, they might put on my nice se530s with the a818, or tube amped ipod through ms2s and be like..."how much did you spend on this" or "i don't hear a difference".

Anyone have this fear?...Can anyone out there who recently moved from low end to high end ease my worries?

Apr 3, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 26
Don't worry about it. I bet the experience will only help you to apreciate your system even more.

I was listening to my system one night not too long ago, and I thought "sounds good".

Then I tried the stock buds that came with my clip and after going back to my system again I said to myself; "holy sh..!"

Good to be home again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 26
my sister doesnt have a headfi account but i recently got her a pair of sr 60s for her birfday in late february. all she had used her the earbuds that came with the ipod.

her response was EXACTLY THE SAME as mine when i put on my 595s for the first time and then again when i put on my 650s for the first time. a faster beating heart, a feeling of disbelief, and a grin so wide, my glasses got pulled closer to my eyes.

when she first opened it up, it was a feeling of disgust because of their retro loks. she couldnt believe they could sound good just because they looked so "old." she put them on and cued some song on her ipod and there it was. she had the widest grin imaginable and her glasses pulled closer to her eyes and then she said, "dude, i didnt know there was a guitar in this song! OMG I LOVE THEM" i dont care if your friends' ears are stuffed with american cheese, they WILL notice a difference. if they dont, well then just get one of them snipers
biggrin.gif
jk

Apr 3, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 26
Generally my experience in showing off my phones has been positive, especially with younger people, not so much the older folks. One of my friends just thinks they're the most comfortable things he ever put on his head. My sister commented that every instrument sounded detailed.

And then another friend who doesn't care much about audio didn't seem to think much about them, and my parents just nod and say "they sound good" without much enthusiasm.

I do get drilled occasionally by my friends over the fact that I spent $300 on a pair of headphones, but whatever, I couldn't part with them. That's all that matters to me.

Apr 3, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 26
I kinda feel the same way with my A700's. I've kinda gotten used to the sound and i've forgotten what bad really sounds like. I can't find my ibuds, where are they!!!? I kinda want to wear my A700's to school on the last day and let my friends listen to them, but I know everyone will look at me like i'm a freak. And plus at our school you aren't even supposed to have mp3 players. Darn my school sucks.

Jacob

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 26
Americans are so into what everything costs. It's #%#$ rude! I just tell them that's not what's important. If they are interested in purchasing good headphones, I say something like "well if your careful, you can get great sounding phones for under a $100." That's not outragous in today's world (for most). I don't tell them what my beyer dt880s cost, because they don't need to know. Let them google it if it's so important to them!

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 26
I can imagine anyone who really enjoy their music in their heart will show the same appreciation* when they got the chance to audition a good pair of 'phone.

*For the SQ. The same might not apply to the price
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 26
I ever brought my W5000 to school once, and my friend wanted to try it because it looks good. She was so surprised how the W5000 sound, and even more surprised when she knew that it costs almost the same as her bag. - -"

However, finally she got a pair of ES7s.
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ever brought my W5000 to school once, and my friend wanted to try it because it looks good. She was so surprised how the W5000 sound, and even more surprised when she knew that it costs almost the same as her bag. - -"

I'm thinking about bringing my A700's to school, how did you carry your W5000's around? I was thinkin about around my neck, but they are sooooo huge it would look kinda nerdy!!!!
icon10.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jacob

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #11 of 26
filipelli, u can always trade me your nice phones for some generic stock buds, then it will for sure remind you of how good your setup is, and how bad BAD HEADPHONES sound like =D

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 26
I'm the same way.. When my friends first heard that I got a pair of $57 headphones (MylarOne X3, at the time), they went crazy..
And when random friends at school who I don't really talk to that often still think there is no such thing as a pair of headphones that cost more than $20. -____- I told them about the Sennheiser Orpheus, and they just completely flipped out.
But the thing is, I'm already nerdy beyond belief (science, technology, etc.), and everyone accepts me for it (and I like being a nerd), so they understand.. Kind of.

I've even been getting my friends into headphones. I recommended KSC75's to one of my friends, got iM716's as another friend's Christmas present, and helped three others choose headphones.
But yeah, eventually, everyone learns to accept you. And use you for advice..

I've yet to step into the deep end, though.. I wonder what my friends will think of me when I come to school one day with DIY-recabled D2000's and a Pico.. xD

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have this fear?

Not me. What's to fear? They sound amazing to you, and so they are amazing. Their sound quality will not suddenly just go away. There is certainly nothing to fear about another's opinion. Just soak up the glorious music and enjoy.

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by BetaLyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm the same way.. When my friends first heard that I got a pair of $57 headphones (MylarOne X3, at the time), they went crazy..
And when random friends at school who I don't really talk to that often still think there is no such thing as a pair of headphones that cost more than $20. -____- I told them about the Sennheiser Orpheus, and they just completely flipped out.
But the thing is, I'm already nerdy beyond belief (science, technology, etc.), and everyone accepts me for it (and I like being a nerd), so they understand.. Kind of.

I've even been getting my friends into headphones. I recommended KSC75's to one of my friends, got iM716's as another friend's Christmas present, and helped three others choose headphones.
But yeah, eventually, everyone learns to accept you. And use you for advice..

I've yet to step into the deep end, though.. I wonder what my friends will think of me when I come to school one day with DIY-recabled D2000's and a Pico.. xD

Well I gave my friend my marshmallows cuz he was a skullcandy victim. Then I bought the X3i+CK5 bundle(67$) and the people I told called me crazy.
smily_headphones1.gif
mad.gif
*tempted to throw in Dave Chappelle's line "**** em, that's why*

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by j.harris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about bringing my A700's to school, how did you carry your W5000's around? I was thinkin about around my neck, but they are sooooo huge it would look kinda nerdy!!!!
icon10.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jacob

meh... I just put it into its case, and my friend was curious about the case first. (the W5000's case is stunning.)
wink.gif

I don't dare to hang it around my neck and walk through the campus or taking a bus.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back