I don't care what anyone says
Mar 2, 2010 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BadMonkeyFinger

New Head-Fier
... I've had my Grado SR325is for a few days now and I can't believe how well they perform, even on the likes of my computer with a crap sound card. I can only imagine how well they'll perform once i get a proper amp to drive them, along with a dac (I'll be using a rotel 971 cd player as a source primarily for now). Who knows? I may get one of the higher end sources many are talking about (cough cough AZUR 840C cough... birthday...cough cough...

...in case my gf is reading this. haha)

I used to own a pair of sr125's about 5-6 years ago, but these things are in a different league altogether.

I can understand why users of other phones might find the grados bright if they are used to a different flavour of headphone; I, however, simply find these nearly completely veil-free. No need to listen to these things at anything more than low to moderate volume - it's all there all the time.

I can't imagine growing tired of their sound, especially for the price. Once properly amped, I'm sure i'll be lovin' it.

...just expressing my enthusiasm here... don't mind me.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyxix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gooood for you. No seriously. Hope this will kill the upgradtitis and save you $213948273492749 dollars

totally read that word the wrong way

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 13
Of course..
in the end, the headphone/iem is meant for your ears.
Screw what other people/mainstream people says.

Believe in your ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 13
Has me thinking about what phones to get; I'm after Grados having 2 pairs of AKG.

I may use a Lavry DA11, or a Grace m902, not sure yet as my current DAC while nice, doesn't have a headphone amp.

Is GS1000i overkill for these two amps? I have been reading a lot about differences between the "higher end" Grado models.

DC

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Gooood for you. No seriously. Hope this will kill the upgradtitis and save you $213948273492749 dollars

yeah, knowing myself and audio gear - not likely to kill my upgraditis. Good thing my last two gf's took all my money, so I don't have $213948273492749 to spare/ spend on audio anymore! Women, i tell ya! geeeeeeeeez. haha

But hey - at least getting into higher-end 'phones is a way to get that high-end audio magic at a fraction of the cost of a full-on audio system. Besides that, my current condo has such terrible acoustics that another bonus is that headphones have a more controllable sound - sound reproduction does not fall prey to my acoustically bad room.

booyakah!!!

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 13
Your sr325i will self destruct in t- minus 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

Upgrade time!

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 13
Happy times! Enjoy the SR-325is

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

upgradtitis

All you have to do is stuff the pads.

Everyone's got different tastes. Had I not managed to get a HF-2, I would have tried a 325is. I still might, since they're complete opposites on the Grado spectrum.

Opinions on those phones seems divided exactly this way. Some say they're bright, harsh, and unnatural. Others say they're incredibly transparent. You're lucky your ears find them transparent.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorcilantro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has me thinking about what phones to get; I'm after Grados having 2 pairs of AKG.

I may use a Lavry DA11, or a Grace m902, not sure yet as my current DAC while nice, doesn't have a headphone amp.

Is GS1000i overkill for these two amps? I have been reading a lot about differences between the "higher end" Grado models.

DC

The GS1K (not sure about the GS1Ki) is a great sync with the m902.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All you have to do is stuff the pads.

Opinions on those phones seems divided exactly this way. Some say they're bright, harsh, and unnatural. Others say they're incredibly transparent. You're lucky your ears find them transparent.

Yes, I feel that I am lucky, since there is such a distinct dividing line between loving/ hating the 325is. I even find them acceptable on bad recordings, since they still manage to make the most of what the recording has to offer.

Interestingly, I did a rudimentary comparison of the 125i, the 225i and the 325is. 125i is similar sonically to the 325is, albeit lighter-sounding and less 'clean' sounding. The 225i is a good headphone as well, but very narrow soundstage when compared to the 325is. Also, even though the 225i pours its music out quite nicely/ fluidly, it's quite dark by comparison (not to say that it's a dark phone, by most standards), but imho, the 325is completely trounces it with clarity, openness and believability.

On that note, what amp do you 325is owners feel is a good match? I'm leaning toward a Little Dot 1+ with tube / opamp upgrades, but any other (relatively inexpensive) suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, since i'm already content with the sound as output from my sound card, should I go with a dedicated headphone amp first, or should i be looking at a dac first? (all logic points to the dac - source first) - but all your thoughts are more than welcome.

Any recommendations for a decent dac that can be used w/ both my computer's USB, as well as my coaxial digital out from my Rotel CD player?

thanks guys/ girls!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back