I didn't expect this... something good from Bose!
Jun 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that does not make any sense what so ever..

post a link to where you get this info please.

I'm pretty sure he's right. I've never replaced a Bose system, but I have read a few threads on a 370Z fansite, and I have heard that Bose does some very bizarre stuff to their equipment to make sure that everything stays Bose; it's kind of like how some headphones use a jack that will only fit into a certain amp (a good example is the Ergo AMT; unless you can modify stuff, you won't be using it on any non-Ergo amp).

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #32 of 45
i like the bose system in my car, it sounds much better than a regular no-name system, and comes factory installed. considering the amount of road noise you get in a car anyways (until i can afford properly sound damped cars), accurate frequency range reproduction isn't really worth the scrutiny.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

that does not make any sense what so ever..

post a link to where you get this info please.

Link?

I didn't find this out via the internets. I went to three different car audio shops in my city and they all said the same thing: in order to install new head unit & cd changer all the speakers would need replacing. I didn't think it made sense either when the first shop told me this. Thus I went for a second and third opinion. This is due to the way BOSE has it configured.

Since then I've been looking online for a cheaper solution. But all I've discovered is that those who did swap their BOSE system out had to indeed do it completely 100%. And the only 'inexpensive' way is to install it myself, which is beyond my knowledge and skill level. It's the labor costs of removal and replacement of the speakers that is killer.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Link?

I didn't find this out via the internets. I went to three different car audio shops in my city and they all said the same thing: in order to install new head unit & cd changer all the speakers would need replacing. I didn't think it made sense either when the first shop told me this. Thus I went for a second and third opinion. This is due to the way BOSE has it configured.

Since then I've been looking online for a cheaper solution. But all I've discovered is that those who did swap their BOSE system out had to indeed do it completely 100%. And the only 'inexpensive' way is to install it myself, which is beyond my knowledge and skill level. It's the labor costs of removal and replacement of the speakers that is killer.

all you need is a simply wiring harness or you can easily do the wiring yourself for ANY after market to work. any speaker in a car today only has a negative and positive input, you can not get more simple then that. Bose in the case of your front speakers have mounted the amp on each of them, so what..you can still use the factory amp and speakers with any aftermarket radio via wiring harness.

01 pathfinder bose system - MP3Car.com

what year is your SE?

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

all you need is a simply wiring harness or you can easily do the wiring yourself for ANY after market to work. any speaker in a car today only has a negative and positive input, you can not get more simple then that. Bose in the case of your front speakers have mounted the amp on each of them, so what..you can still use the factory amp and speakers with any aftermarket radio via wiring harness.

01 pathfinder bose system - MP3Car.com

what year is your SE?

Thanks for that link. It sheds a bit of light on the problem but I'll have to look into it further. The thread does discuss the '01 Pathfinder which is the same year as mine. I'd be happier if I did get rid of everything factory on it, tho'.

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #36 of 45
I had a Bose stereo in my 2000 Nissan Pathfinder. Had recessed mids and muddy sound. Quite a far cry from the Eclipse system in my F250. I was going to purchase one of the first 350z's in '02, but backed out when I was able to sit in one- make that 'cram myself in with a big shoehorn and pray I don't crash'.

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #38 of 45
You do have a point, but also try to remember that the 370z is a rather small car (it's a coupe, right?) so two subs of just about any size should give it pretty substantial bass. Just making sure you don't turn into a Bose fanboy on us :p

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigrigdog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a Bose stereo in my 2000 Nissan Pathfinder. Had recessed mids and muddy sound. Quite a far cry from the Eclipse system in my F250. I was going to purchase one of the first 350z's in '02, but backed out when I was able to sit in one- make that 'cram myself in with a big shoehorn and pray I don't crash'.

I wonder if there is a difference in leg room between the 350Z and 370Z... I'm 6'3" and, although I have to bend my legs a bit when first entering in order to not drag them across the door and leave scuff marks, there is plenty of room once I'm in the seat. It's actually much more roomy than my previous car (Ford Focus).

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsRy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just making sure you don't turn into a Bose fanboy on us :p

That's not very likely to happen
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Mazdaspeed6 has a Bose stereo in it, 8" sub in the back deck with no enclosure (other than the trunk). For a factory installed stereo it sounds pretty decent. Good enough that I haven't swapped it out in the 2.5 years I've owned the car. Which is saying quite a bit... the last 3 cars I owned had the factory deck in them for at most a week each.

We have that car. Its a very okay stereo. Pretty warm sound signature, and the highs are fairly well tamed for a Bose system. Doesn't have terribly detailed sound, but not bad nonetheless.

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I want to replace the head unit with a top-end...

I used to replace everything. Speakers, head, changers, you name it. I got into so much that I started doing it for friends and then for some side money. I finally grew tired of fighting with some vehicles and their dumbass idea of configurations. It just wasn't worth the effort or the money. I knew several friends who even had expensive alarm systems installed and still got their windows smashed and systems ripped out. From then on, for me, its a stock system and an iPod. I'd rather put the money into headphones.

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to replace everything. Speakers, head, changers, you name it. I got into so much that I started doing it for friends and then for some side money. I finally grew tired of fighting with some vehicles and their dumbass idea of configurations. It just wasn't worth the effort or the money. I knew several friends who even had expensive alarm systems installed and still got their windows smashed and systems ripped out. From then on, for me, its a stock system and an iPod. I'd rather put the money into headphones.

Even better than an alarm system is a cover. For about $200, you can get a custom made cover that, since it fits the car like a glove, isn't exactly easy to get off for someone who has never used it (although it becomes almost second nature for the owner after a while... takes me about 60-90 seconds to put it on or take it off). First off, you're hiding the year and model of the car (unless they are enough of an auto connoisseur that they can tell by the shape), so the potential thief doesn't know if they're getting ready to break into a twenty year old rust bucket with a K-Mart stereo or a new car with some $5k system. Secondly, any thief will tell you that it's all about smash, grab and run, so they are put off by the fact that they might have two more minutes during which the fuzz could show up.

A cover won't deter an intelligent thief who has picked your car out in advance and scoped out the area, etc., but that's like 1% of the thieves out there, who are mostly stupid thugs.

Don't take my word on it... ask a cop, they'll tell you the same thing. Best advice the police have ever given me outside of "You have the right to remain silent..."
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose deserves 99% of the dissing it gets, but it is pretty amazing that they can get the kind of volume out of these things given that they are so tiny. Maybe they do know something about enclosures.

My Totem Sttaf are amazing in the same way. Just 5 1/4" driver but somehow the enclosures are designed to give you more bottom end then one would expect from such a small driver. And the good thing is that they are a mass loading speaker so you can tune the bass by adding more or less sand, lead shot, cat litter, etc.

Product Review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back