I did the right thing, and that didn't work, but now what?
Sep 19, 2003 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
I recently built a computer and ordered a lot of parts, including some fairly expensive 512 MB DDR DIMM of Corsair memory (~$128) from newegg. When I received the package, which contained A LOT of stuff, it appeared that the memory was not shipped. I called them up and was promptly sent a new module. I love Newegg, and continue to be highly impressed with their customer service.
smily_headphones1.gif

Then, three weeks later, I discovered the original memory that I had thought they did not ship amidst some packaging. Apparently it was at the bottom of a box that had also contained my mouse.
redface.gif

I could have easily kept both memory modules, but that's not the type of person that I am. I called up Newegg and explained the situation at least three times to a customer service person to emphasize the fact that I was not returning a defective part, but instead I was going to return a part that I should not have been sent at all. Also, as it was my fault for not checking the packing more carefully, I picked up the return shipping bill (though they offered to get it for me).

I thought that I had successfully explained my situation and they would simply accept the memory without sending out a replacement. But, now I have received an invoice for what appears to be, another FREE replacement memory. Therefore, Newegg seems to be TOO GOOD at making people happy and has once again sent me a memory module that I should not have, as I have not paid for it. What do I do now?

Does this mean that when (if) the memory arrives, I should once again attempt to return it, or should I just keep it? Obviously a part of me wants to keep it, but a bigger part of me knows that I have not paid for this memory, and it should go back (again).
confused.gif

Sep 19, 2003 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 17
It's up to you... it's possible that things could get even more confused if you return the memory again (and you're spending your own money on postage for Newegg's mistake).

Strictly speaking it would be 'the right thing to do', but many (including myself) would probably figure they tried hard enough at this point and just enjoy the extra RAM. Everything tends to balance out in the end -- if you've ever gotten overcharged by a company before (inadvertently or on purpose) then this might be a matter of "return karma."
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2003 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 17
Try to return it one more time, but say that you got some memory you didn't order, or something like that. If you still get another free replacement, take that as a sign... that you should send it to me.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 19, 2003 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 17
I wouldn't spend my own money on postage this time. This time it would definitely be their problem. It was probably stupid of me to pay for postage the first time, but I like to do the right thing, even with a big company who probably won't notice or care.
redface.gif

I really should have made this a poll.

If a moderator wants to do so, I only need two options:

keep it
send it back

Sep 19, 2003 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 17
Well, Radrd, you are an honorable man. Just keep trying to send it back to them as a non-defective surplus item. What else can an honorable man do in this situation?

Sep 19, 2003 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
I wouldn't spend my own money on postage this time. This time it would definitely be their problem. It was probably stupid of me to pay for postage the first time, but I like to do the right thing, even with a big company who probably won't notice or care.
redface.gif

Clearly this is a somewhat fuzzy case of what's right and what isn't (or I'd guess you probably wouldn't have started the thread). In cases like this, you can either follow your own feelings or follow the feelings of others. The community here would probably say "return it," but another one (say a consumer rights board angry at the state of online retailers) might vote overwhelmingly for you to keep it, maybe even say you're nuts for still worrying about it after Newegg "screwed up" twice. Why not flip a coin (make it 2 out of 3) and let fate/god/luck/whatever decide?
tongue.gif

Sep 19, 2003 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 17
As already noted, this is karma catching up with you. If you can use the memory, I would pop it right in that computer and forget it. If not, I would find out if you have any friends that can use it. If that fails, I would try returning it one more time...

Sep 19, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Try to return it one more time, but say that you got some memory you didn't order, or something like that. If you still get another free replacement, take that as a sign... that you should send it to me.
evil_smiley.gif

Hey dh,

Not good advice to tell a guy honest enough to return something that wasn't his by telling him to lie about it.
biggrin.gif

Robert,

Try again to explain to them the situation that you got two orders by accident since you thought the original was received unknowingly. If they then send you another one as a replacement, then it should be yours to keep. Just make sure to let them know that if they send you back one that you aren't going to keep paying for this, and that the money they are spending in shipping charges will soon equal the cost of the memory.

Sep 19, 2003 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 17
Thanks for the speedy replies. I think that, assuming the memory actually does show up, I will go ahead and return it one more time. This time, I will not be paying for shipping, as I am clearly not at fault here. Plus, considering that they offered to pay for shipping when I was at fault, I doubt there will be a problem in that area. If they pay for shipping, then I will ship this one back. I could use additional kharma, as eventually I will need to find a good job in this crappy economy with only a degree in English under my belt...
frown.gif
wink.gif

If I get another one, then I will keep it, as that would be a sign from God.
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Try to return it one more time, but say that you got some memory you didn't order, or something like that.

well, they will perhaps refund him this time
600smile.gif

Sep 19, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

ServinginEcuador said...

Not good advice to tell a guy honest enough to return something that wasn't his by telling him to lie about it.

But it's not a lie, since he didn't order that second replacement. Come on, people, work w/ me here.
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 17
I once spent 20 minutes at McDonalds explaining to a stupid bitch that the coupon was "Buy one, get one free" not "get one free, get another one free." 20 minutes--I'm not even kidding. It required a manager.

Anymore, I'll try if the person's nice to me and it's not going to cost me a great deal of time or effort. Otherwise, it's all just part of hiring stupid people and it's a loss they just have to accept.

If it's 512 per module then at least you have the slot to bump up to 1gb. It's not like you'll likely use anything above 512 anyway but you may as well. If you keep fighting them on it, you'll end up costiing them more in customer support than they would have lost on the cost of the ram--then nobody wins, anyway.

I like Newegg too, though. I just placed an order for a load of stuff from them today. Unfortunately, I still had to go elsewhere for the particular HD I wanted and I still ordered the memory from Crucial.

Sep 19, 2003 at 9:40 PM Post #15 of 17
I'd say there's a 50/50 chance that they will tell me to keep it anyway because the guy I talked to about returning it the first time started out by telling me to keep it until I mentioned the price.

Quote:

I once spent 20 minutes at McDonalds explaining to a stupid bitch that the coupon was "Buy one, get one free" not "get one free, get another one free." 20 minutes--I'm not even kidding. It required a manager.

LOL. That's hilarious.
biggrin.gif
Considering how often McDonalds screws up an order and ends up giving away a bunch of food free, I probably would have quit after about 10 minutes.

Quote:

If it's 512 per module

Yup. 512 MB is plenty, but it's always fun to tell people you have 1 GB...
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back