I did something bad (regarding speakers)
Sep 16, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #16 of 56
I agree, a propertly setup high-end speaker righ is truly something else, and I don't necessarily agree with the proposition that a headphone system ALWAYS represent a better value. The frustrating thing with speakers is that they are so room-dependant that it's hard, even for people who can afford to buy good speaker set-ups, to hear what the speakers are really capable of. At least that is what is frustrating to me, since I'm essentially forced to "settle" so to speak.

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
I agree, a propertly setup high-end speaker righ is truly something else, and I don't necessarily agree with the proposition that a headphone system ALWAYS represent a better value. The frustrating thing with speakers is that they are so room-dependant that it's hard, even for people who can afford to buy good speaker set-ups, to hear what the speakers are really capable of. At least that is what is frustrating to me, since I'm essentially forced to "settle" so to speak.

Advanced room correction is well within reach, especially for 2 channel systems. Quite a few companies are in the mix now and a few great freeware solutions have been developed. Even poor acoustic environments can be dramatically improved to allow people to enjoy an excellent speaker experience. Of course, some sensible acoustic decisions only help, but the future is here. Bad rooms acoustics shouldn't be an excuse to avoid speakers anymore.

A below average acoustic environment. No treatments. Heavy dose of room correction. You defintely hear what the speakers are capable of:

DSC00977-1.jpg

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #18 of 56
man that's a gorgeous rig. that my kid would tear down the second i turned my head
frown.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
man that's a gorgeous rig. that my kid would tear down the second i turned my head
frown.gif

My kid has been eyeing it since the age of 1 1/2, but has yet to touch at. He's 3 1/2 now.
DSC00957.jpg

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #20 of 56
you must have some kinda anti-toddler field around that thing! my kid will do a shock and awe on anything within reach!

Sep 16, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
My kid has been eyeing it since the age of 1 1/2, but has yet to touch at. He's 3 1/2 now.
DSC00957.jpg

He's just patient, biding his time, until . . .

Every dog has his day!
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 11:25 AM Post #22 of 56
Hehe, I wouldn't mind inheriting that!
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 11:58 AM Post #23 of 56
Great speakers system are fun at that!!

I have a great system...in a fairly sucky room! But it's not always convenient to crank the speakers for tunes at a time that's right for me.

Yup! Cans are the answer!! My tunes when I want them, and the cans carry their own good room with them wherever they go!!

The trick seems to be to get cans that closely match the qualities of the speakers. Don't want to be disapointed with either!

Sep 16, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #24 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
A below average acoustic environment. No treatments. Heavy dose of room correction. You defintely hear what the speakers are capable of:

But IMO you are better off treating the room as much as possible first, then use room correction if still needed.
I prefer speakers. Headphones are an adequate substitute if need dictates.
There is no doubt you can buy a better resolving pair of headphones for less money than speakers, but speakers just seem much more natural to me.
One thing I have noticed, lots of people have more than one set of headphones in the same room, but not many people have more than one set of speakers in a room.

Sep 16, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #25 of 56
I have a speaker setup in my room...

I never use it for listening to music. It sounds great, but it just lacks and detail and intimacy of a good pair of headphones.

Sep 16, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #26 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by dknightd
One thing I have noticed, lots of people have more than one set of headphones in the same room, but not many people have more than one set of speakers in a room.

So True!!

I have phones that are great for rock, but fall flat for classical due mostly to the restricted soundstage and their pronounced foreward nature. My speakers are slightly foreward as well but they do classical beautifully!

And Rock! And everything else!!

....go figure.

Interestingly, as great as my speakers are, my new cans do a better job at inducing heavy toe tapping and head bobbing!! Even though the bass from the sub gives an advantage in rock presentation.

I have managed to correct some of the deficiencies in my listening room to eliminate some of the problem points, but the Wife is putting up some resistance to some of my more elaborate fixes. For instance, removing the fireplace or some windows and doorways is outside of what she thinks is prudent. A sound absorbant moose head above the mantle is maybe ok, but not in front of the opening where the sound absorbancy would be most benificial. That sort of thing.

But for rock, and other types of music where there are fewer instruments and vocals to track, I find the cans do a better job in giving me the sonic information my room is stealing from my speakers. For classical, where the instruments are intended to blend, the speakers stull rule for filling a real space.

I am going to try to come up with a set of phones to fill in the classical role, however, for those times where classical just sounds like a great idea, but the kids would rather watch cartoons with great sound!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
I have a speaker setup in my room...

I never use it for listening to music. It sounds great, but it just lacks and detail and intimacy of a good pair of headphones.

I agree. I love speakers and all, but when I really want to LISTEN to the music I put on my headphones, which is like 95% of the time. Once in a while I'll sit down in front of my stereo and listen to some music. It is always good, but never impresses me like my headphones do.

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #28 of 56
When I was a kid I took the covers off my dads Monitor Audio floorstanders and poked the drivers in with my fingers.

This was only a short while after I'd gotten in trouble for feeding toast to the betamax.
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
When I was a kid I took the covers off my dads Monitor Audio floorstanders and poked the drivers in with my fingers.

This was only a short while after I'd gotten in trouble for feeding toast to the betamax.
biggrin.gif

Is that your picture in your avitar? You are the image of my younger
brother 20 years ago. He also put his fingers where they did not belong. . .

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #30 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I agree. I love speakers and all, but when I really want to LISTEN to the music I put on my headphones, which is like 95% of the time. Once in a while I'll sit down in front of my stereo and listen to some music. It is always good, but never impresses me like my headphones do.

You need better speakers, or better room treatments, or both.

One thing headphones seem to do is point out the flaws in a recording, if that is what you are listening for then maybe headphones are a better choice.

Different ears prefer different things. My wife has started to like silence. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back