I cut the cord in half on my 360 headset
Oct 19, 2011 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mclldavidson

100+ Head-Fier
It is a cheap pair of Turtle Beach X1's.  The cord is cut in half between the volume/mute control box and the headphones, can this be fixed and I do not have a soldering gun, just electrical tape.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 7
Sure thing.  Each wire is colour coded, strip a substantial portion of the rubber coating over the bare metal to expose the metal threads, on both ends.  Then twist them to their correct color, as sturdy as you can and insulate the join with the tape, make sure wires from other colors do not touch each other.  Carefully connect it up, make sure it works.

Now use an entire roll of electrical tape and start wrapping them around the whole cable at the join and a good to 10 cm before and after the join, like a bandage, but very tightly, up and down.  Not ideal but now if you take care not to stress the join, it should last for a useable time before you have to do it all over again.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 7
Houston we have problem.

Wires do not exhibit rubber insulation as instructed.

Wires cannot be taped together.

Soldering is extremely difficult with wire type.

Abort mission.

Over and out.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 7
I'd go with SP Wild's solution, except after you test it I would go ahead and add a bit of solder on the twisted wires to hold them together more securely then tape it up as advised.

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 7
No joke, those wires were on my PX100s which caused all my grief trying to re-terminate them to balanced with min XLRs, they are next to impossible to solder and cannot just be taped together.  The HD650 used the same wires, they soldered OK, because the 4 pin XLR plug was big enough to dissipate heat and not melt the plastic.

Each strand is coated with a metallic compound that is non conductive, this coating is next to impossible to remove, and requires lengthy heating times for solder to adhere.

Anyway, that was how I repaired wires when I was a child without a soldering iron (also how I blew my battery powered tape player, taping mains wiring to the battery contacts).  Learning how to strap the entire cable assembly came from all the sporting injuries I sustained as a teenager.

Ahhhh, fond memories.

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 7
If they were better cans, I'd say just scrap the cord and do a full recable. But I think that's probably wasted effort - easier/better to just use this as a reason to buy new cans. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back