I can't decide which to keep HD600, 6XX or 660S
Nov 12, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #31 of 35
I own the HD650 and HD600s with a upgraded Bottlehead Crack. Both sound great and I use them for different types of music. My favorite overall is the HD650. I just love its warm sound signature and the BHC I have removes the veil on the highs. I use the HD600 for classical music, some Jazz and some vocals where I really want clarity.

I recently purchased some HD800S cans to see if that will be better for Classical. I purchased one with a generous return policy because I am not positive I am going to like them.
I would be interested in hearing your impressions of the 800s

Nov 12, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #32 of 35
I enjoy 650. Had 600 for few years but 650 is just perfect for the music I listen to.
However now I have NOS DAC and I wonder if 600 would be a better bet.

Nov 13, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #33 of 35
I had the 800S... and I just couldn’t get into them. They remind me of a super wide, super clear, less-bass version of the DT880. You’d never know they were even made by the same company that makes the HD6– line of headphones.

Nov 13, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #34 of 35
Actually, that's interesting you say 650 is smoother in the treble. Would you say 650 is also thicker in the mids and warmer sounding in comparison to the 6XX? Because 6XX didn't sound anything like what I recall of 650 I had many years before it, and I assumed it was just the different amping that was causing it.

So, can we say 6XX has more presence in the treble than the 650 and 6XX treble is between 650 and 600?

My experience is the HD 6XX and HD 650 sounded the same, but I have heard some say the HD 6XX is a bit brighter. Though I have heard variations of the HD 650 a bit, but not sure how much was amping, pad wear, clamp loosening, etc. But I have found there is some usually minor variations between headphones of the same model.

I had the 800S... and I just couldn’t get into them. They remind me of a super wide, super clear, less-bass version of the DT880. You’d never know they were even made by the same company that makes the HD6– line of headphones.

The HD 800 series is interesting, you wouldn't think it was a Sennheiser, I was shocked when I first heard them, never heard an HD 800/S at length though. It's like the new T1.3, it sounds like no Beyer I heard or rather any other headphone I've heard (closest I think of is the Nighthawk in terms of tuning but it's still very different) it's so warm and thick it makes the HD 650 sound lean.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #35 of 35
I would be interested in hearing your impressions of the 800s
Okay. I'll try to post here if I can find the thread once I get them. They are scheduled to arrive at my house around 11/20. So, I'll be listening to them around Thanksgiving week. The first time I auditioned them I really didn't like them at all. The treble was searing and there was no bass. I drove them with a Chord Hugo 2 which is the wrong amp for those headphones. Now that I have the BHC, everyone tells me to try them again so I am. I am also going to try to equalize them because the sound stage and details that they provide should be perfect for Classical music, but I am concerned that I won't like the HD800S sound signature without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back