I can't decide which to keep HD600, 6XX or 660S
Nov 11, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #16 of 35
By refined, you mean detail wise? Would you say 650 and 600 were similar level of details? Some people find the brighter nature of 600 to be more detailed.

To me refined means more natural. It doesn't necessarily mean more detailed. I can't comment on the difference between HD650 and HD600 because I had HD600 for a very short time. To me, HD600 treble is piercing and I couldn't listen to them for more than 10 minutes. HD6XX treble is ever so slightly splashy (but not uncomfortable or unnatural in any way) in comparison to HD650.

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #18 of 35
The HD6XX and HD650 (newest chassis with squared-off edges) is identical in sound. I had both at the same time and did many blind listening tests and could not tell a single difference between the two. Maybe the clamp force was ever-so slightly less on the HD650. Maybe? That's it.

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #20 of 35
HD6XX treble is ever so slightly splashy (but not uncomfortable or unnatural in any way) in comparison to HD650.

There's no difference between the 650 and 6xx. Same parts. Same place of manufacture.

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #21 of 35
Personally I’d probably keep the one(s) I dig the most?
Sorry but it feels a tad weird in my mind asking other people about your own tastes. It’s basically like making a thread asking whether to eat sausages, lasagna or salmon for dinner:p Who would know better than yourself?
That being said...I would most likely part with one of the classics (600/650) as I feel the two sound a little too close to each other to keep both...imo of course.

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #24 of 35
From memory (I sold HD6XX a long time ago), HD6XX were brighter but I can't comment on the mids. HD600 has too much treble for my taste. HD6XX sort of sits in the middle even thought HD650 and HD600 treble is more refined than HD6XX.

HD-600 has unit to unit variance. I've heard about SilverEars findings. My own stock seemed slightly bright - where harpsichords, sax's, and sopranos would give a slight silverish "s" sound. I changed cables to XLR (to an amp built for balanced), put some dynamat down on back side to control mid/upper bass slow decay, and added some felt to absorb over 2k. SilverEars heard them at that point. Since then digital parametric EQ. The HD-600 needs not much there, less then the HE-500 & HE6se and much less than the HEX v2 and HE5-LE. Finally the BHC w/ speedball, and it sings now, and right or wrong, all that missing bass from 70 Hz - 35 Hz is back, and it's so liquid its hard to believe it could be a little edgy.

Even stock solo instrument timbre was superb.

Nov 12, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #25 of 35
I think I have decided to keep all three. My wife is going to kill me. lol
All though they are all similar the differences make me want to keep all three. I just don't want to regret getting rid of any of them.
I have tried DT1900 and DT900, HD560S but I am very treble sensitive so I didn't like them even with EQ. The 600 series Sennheiser's are just perfect sounding to me and I don't use any EQ.
Thanks for all the advice

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #26 of 35
I think I have decided to keep all three. My wife is going to kill me. lol
All though they are all similar the differences make me want to keep all three. I just don't want to regret getting rid of any of them.
I have tried DT1900 and DT900, HD560S but I am very treble sensitive so I didn't like them even with EQ. The 600 series Sennheiser's are just perfect sounding to me and I don't use any EQ.

We'll all different, but on SS I find the HD-600 is bass shy, no question (along with well over 50% of those that have heard it). It's the only can I have that I use only 6 bands on:

Hz ----- db -- Q --- Curve

88 Hz +3.8 0.71 Low Shelf
160 Hz -2.1 1.10 Digital Bell 2
2500 Hz +1.0 2.30 " "
3850 Hz -3.3 3.33 Analog Bell
8000 Hz -4.0 3.33 Dig.. 2
12400 Hz +4.6 3.90 Analog Bell

No change at all from about 400 to 1850 Hz, very few cans can pull that off. It's better with than w/o - unlike the HEX v2 and HE5-LE which require EQ IMO. Even the 500 and 6se need a major up in the 1800 Hz range, and some smoothing around 950 Hz.

I had a Soundcraftsman EQ over 40 years ago and ditched it quickly, it couldn't hold a candle to a good digital parametric today. There is no audible effect related to the EQ per se that I can find, or have heard about from responsible reviewers.

Nov 12, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #27 of 35
HD-600 has unit to unit variance. I've heard about SilverEars findings. My own stock seemed slightly bright - where harpsichords, sax's, and sopranos would give a slight silverish "s" sound. I changed cables to XLR (to an amp built for balanced), put some dynamat down on back side to control mid/upper bass slow decay, and added some felt to absorb over 2k. SilverEars heard them at that point. Since then digital parametric EQ. The HD-600 needs not much there, less then the HE-500 & HE6se and much less than the HEX v2 and HE5-LE. Finally the BHC w/ speedball, and it sings now, and right or wrong, all that missing bass from 70 Hz - 35 Hz is back, and it's so liquid its hard to believe it could be a little edgy.

Even stock solo instrument timbre was superb.
I think 600 can get too bright for some. Your 600 is probably one of the 2 best I've heard, but there was a purely stock one that was the best stock sound. I'd say the best version of the HD6 series is the one that sounds most transparent without having any annoying parts in the response. I'd just keep one of the preferred high impedance ones, 6XX/650/600, and just drive it out of an OTL tube amp, and done. I wouldn't recommend Darkvoice, which doesn't compare to what Crack can do.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #28 of 35
I own all three, HD600 (marble), HD650 (2019) and HD660 (original version) and love them all. HD650 just rocks the hardest, love the big warm bass. Pleasant without ever sounding "off". HD660 is probably my favourite allround headphone, it's realy good, best soundstage of the three, fantastic resolution/detail/micro (you name it) and always impressive with high entertainment value. HD600 sound the most correct, subjectively. I have a very nice sounding one.

Owning all three is a great thing.

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #29 of 35
I own all three, HD600 (marble), HD650 (2019) and HD660 (original version) and love them all. HD650 just rocks the hardest, love the big warm bass. Pleasant without ever sounding "off". HD660 is probably my favourite allround headphone, it's realy good, best soundstage of the three, fantastic resolution/detail/micro (you name it) and always impressive with high entertainment value. HD600 sound the most correct, subjectively. I have a very nice sounding one.

Owning all three is a great thing.

I love all three as well. Was just listening to my 660S to Led Zeppelin "Whole lotta love" and the imaging is so crazy I felt like my head was swirling during that trippy section of the song.

Nov 12, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #30 of 35
Which of the three sound best with the Bottlehead Crack?
I own the HD650 and HD600s with a upgraded Bottlehead Crack. Both sound great and I use them for different types of music. My favorite overall is the HD650. I just love its warm sound signature and the BHC I have removes the veil on the highs. I use the HD600 for classical music, some Jazz and some vocals where I really want clarity.

I recently purchased some HD800S cans to see if that will be better for Classical. I purchased one with a generous return policy because I am not positive I am going to like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back