I can't decide between the Astrotec AM-90 or the Dunu DN-12.
Nov 27, 2012 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hatebreed

New Head-Fier
After looking through this guide: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-265-iems-compared-dunu-i-3c-s-and-dn-19-tai-chi-added-11-21-12

I've decided between these two. Isolation is essential, these two scored highly on the guide. What's bothering me is that i've read the AM-90 lacks in bass whilst the DN-12 doesn't. Overall i think i would prefer the AM-90 due to build quality but this one issue is putting me off. 

Can anyone help me decide?

Thanks!

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 7
My AM-90 actually came in today.  Give me a few days, I'll audition them both side by side and give a quick comparison.  They both have a very similar form factor (concerning comfort and isolation).  I haven't had too much time to audition the AM-90 yet, so no opinions yet.  I've kind of forgotten exactly how the Tridents will sound as well (I just remember a v-shape :p).  

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
tinyman, have you tried vsonic's vc02? I'm contemplating getting that too. 
biggrin.gif

I have not heard any VSonics unfortunately, sorry :frowning2:  

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 7
Before I begin, I'd like to say a few quick words regarding fit and comfort.  Wearing either one up is quick easy and stable, there is no problems here.  It's when you wear them down.  The Trident has a center of mass closer to your head while the Astro-Tec reaches out a little further so it technically is less comfortable.  Regardless though, with the proper seal, both should be able to remain secure :)  

OK, I've done some quick listening between both.  Assuming that the Astro-Tec won't change much more with burn in, I'm going to say that they offer different signatures.  The Astro-Tec is a sweeter sound while the Trident offers a nice warm v-shaped sound (similar in depth to the PFE232).  That said, the signature will account for the main differences, and preferences.  We'll start from the low end.

The Trident tends to dig much deeper than the Astro-Tec with a richer, thicker body behind each note.  In reality, some may find it walks the line of muddyness, I don't find it muddy though.  The AM-90 is able to reach pretty low, but is beat out by the Dunu still.  Impacts are both larger and harder with the Tridents as well, but the larger impacts take quite a bit away from the tightness of the bass which is where the Astro-Tec gains.  The Astro-Tec gives an ample impact, and a nice tight punch.

The midrange of the Trident focuses on the upper end, same actually goes for the Astro-Tec.  The first thing you'll notice is that the AM-90 has much better instrumental clarity than the Dunu, which is going to be the biggest difference between the two.  The vocals offer a bit of a difference as well, with the AM-90 focusing on the upper end of the vocal spectrums, the Dunu actually does better with total vocal dynamics.  The lower midrange is is better performed by the AM-90 offering details that the Dunu tends to miss.  

Going up into the high end, the Dunu is very energetic and strong.  The AM-90 sound more laid back in comparison.  The Dunu offers stronger splashes as well as separation and total detailing in the upper treble.  It may be a tad much for some users though.  The AM-90s are a bit more reserved, but offer good detailing and separate; but can't quite extend as high as the Trident do.  The lower treble is presented similarly by both IEMs.  They offer ample extension and good presence and detailing in the lower treble.  

Overall, I'm going to say, it's down to preference.  If you are looking for accuracy, the Astro-Tec will be the direction to go.  The Dunu is a v-shaped sound that is dynamic and strong.  Hopefully this helped clear up a few differences between the two IEMs.  

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 7
I dig the Astrotec, though it is noticeably lower in bass than most I've heard. Then again, everything else I have so far is a dynamic driver. Anyways, it does none the less have great clarity and a nice sound to it.

Just gonna throw this out there, I recommend the Brainwavz M5. It has a lot more clarity than I expected, it's magnanimously good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back