I can't believe what I'm thinking re: LCD3
Dec 10, 2011 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

sperandeo

100+ Head-Fier
I have been putting off ordering a pair of LCD3's because of the price tag. I currently own a pair of LCD2 v1 and I love them. I have always said that the only  thing the 2 v1's were lacking we're some sweeter highs. So when I heard from users that the 3's found these lost highs I was very happy. 

Now I'll give you a little back story. I was originally into home audio until one day I realized that you can easily spend many THOUSANDS on getting that magical sound.  This was when I decided to get into headphones. I thought I could spend a few thousand and try and achieve the sound of a $75,000.00 home audio setup. 

I had heard about Magnepan speakers from various group members. I hadn't even heard of these speakers until then. A few weeks ago I found a local dealer that sold Magnepan's, so I decided to give them a listen. I told the salesman I am into headphones and told him about my Audeze's. He started to giggle and told me to sit down and enjoy the ride. He put on an Krall album (of course) and left me alone for 10 minutes. 

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I realized that the magical sound I had grown to love in my Audezes was now happening with the Magnepan's. I just sat there shaking my head, I could not believe what was going on. The sales man came back and said what do you think? I told him I'll take a pair in black. The MMG's that I bought are 1.25 inches thick and about 4 1/2 feet tall. They are unbelievable. Trust me when I say if you love your LCD2 or 3 you will love the Magnepan's. Because they are speakers, they have perfect soundstage and the have a much better high end then my LCD2. 

Now here is the most shocking part...are you ready? Magnepan MMG with tax and freight cost me 850.00 (that's not a typo). They actually cost 599.00 plus freight etc. But my out the door total cost was 850.00. 

I took then home and hooked up a BK -ST-202 amp pre/amp that I have had for years. I am delivering about 200wpc into 4 ohm and I can't tell you how incredible this sound. My 20 year old musician son guessed that the MMG's must have cost me $5000.00. Wrong only 850.00 lol. 

I will go as far as saying this is the BEST audiophile investment I have EVER made, ever.

I think I'm going to hold off on the LCD3's at this time. When I see what Magnepan can do with planer magnetic speakers for $600.00 It makes me know for certain that there is no way an LCD3 is worth anywhere near $2000.00

The flagship Magnepan goes head to head with top of the line B&W and they cost $5000.00. 

I won't stop listening to headphone, but when I sit and listen to a live recording on my MMG's I'm telling you I am sitting in the audience. 

Oh and by the way, Magnepan offers a 60 day money back guarantee, to upgrade of if your not happy. I can see why they can offer this guarantee. 

Happy listening. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 38
Finally somebody smart enough. I still can't believe that people pay 10kusd for a pair of mono block headphone amp

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 38

Quote:
Finally somebody smart enough. I still can't believe that people pay 10kusd for a pair of mono block headphone amp

Many people are into headphones because they live in apartments, with small rooms, and neighbors.  I'm one of them.  It's not either/or - or both - for us.  It's headphones or no music.  I wish more posters remembered that.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 38
I had some some baby Maggies for a while and I anticipate the day I own a home and can buy another pair.  But yeah, in this apartment headphones are it.

... goes to Magnepan website to drool for a few...

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:
Many people are into headphones because they live in apartments, with small rooms, and neighbors.  I'm one of them.  It's not either/or - or both - for us.  It's headphones or no music.  I wish more posters remembered that.

So true! It seems as though this point never comes up, but it affects an enormous number of people, especially those in more urban areas. I would love to get speakers, but I simply can't.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 38

Quote:

I know what you mean. I lived in a student dorm. After having sold the audeze lcd-2 rev.1, I'll never spend so much money for such bad sounding headphones, when speakers at the same price can sound exponentially better.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 38
I love speakers, but, in my current form of living, I can not have loud bass, and without bass, my music just sucks. My subwoofer is a standard, passive, cheap Sony, and it still makes the floors and walls boom. And Night mode on my Receiver is Bleh for music. People like to complain about everything here and someone already complained about me playing The Beatles's HELP! (in Mono. BTW) between 8 and 10 AM. The security guard, who I know and is friendly with me, asked me turn it down. And already I thought it WAS at a very good level in the morning. The people below me on 5th floor were complaining. So after that, I began listening to my headphones more. Makes sense to invest big $$$ anyway since I am really a night person. I can get away with watching Blu-rays in the Afternoon because Action Movies are not loud and banging and pounding all the time, unlike most songs.

Headphones are private, engaging, and can be more personal with your favorite music than speakers.

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 38

i know there is crazy, but this is borderline stupidity. really? 10k for mono-blocks to power headphones......headphones! just hook those suckers up to good power amp in the speaker outputs and i guarantee you have no issues frying your precious headphones with gobs of power.

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 38
I'm not trying to say speakers are better than headphones, there is definatly a need for both. 
I just don't think certain things are worth what some companies are charging. I really started to believe that you had to spend BIG bucks to get the sound I was after, and unfortunately most of the time you do. But when I see what Magenpan is doing It gives me hope that you can get spectacular at a reasonable price. 

I also think Schitt audio is also on the right track. Very good product without breaking the bank. 

I think I'll start a tread with best bang for the buck products. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 38
don't need to be modest. usually speakers do offer far more bang than buck in comprehension especially when it comes to soundstage and imaging. there is headphones out there that can offer accurate imaging of course but just doesn't offer the same sensation of speakers that is capable of delivering a full 360 degree soundstage and imaging. headphones are very important as well but i mostly see them as tools and private enjoyment. i use them a lot for movies and games and even music listening but if i'm home in the day time i defiantly be doing my preceptive listening with speakers.

there both great things to have and experience. i love using both to be honest. only good thing headphones have over speakers is that they don't suffer from room limitations. that's why there is a huge misconception of you needing to spend multi-thousands of dollars for a stereo system and people wonder why they're speakers sound horrible cause due to reflections, and reflections causes cancellations,peaks, and dips. room treatment is not rocket science. just takes time and patience and lots of researching. anyways, not knocking anything of course so i don't want people to get me wrong and take it the wrong way. both headphones and speakers are enjoyable equally and are very,very much needed. just my opinion.

Dec 11, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 38

Quote:
I know what you mean. I lived in a student dorm. After having sold the audeze lcd-2 rev.1, I'll never spend so much money for such bad sounding headphones, when speakers at the same price can sound exponentially better.

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand this post.

Dec 11, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 38
I had my Magnepan MMGs for a year now, soon after I got the LCD-2 and digging the sound. After all, they are the same technology.
The MMGs are unbelievable bargains. Like you said, they have that LCD-2 sound characteristic and easily exceeds it in overall sound quality, especially the highs, and far better sound stage. No cone speakers can complete with the Magnepans in bass resolution.
However, the room placement of the MMGs is critical, picky with amplifiers, sweet spot is small (speakers for one), and long break-in period, 200-300hrs needed. All the trouble is well worth it; when you are in that sweet spot, they are breathtakingly awesome.
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #13 of 38
Congrats on getting a most excellent pair of speakers!

You don't need to spend five figures and build a custom listening room to get great performance.  Great speakers cost less than top-end headphones and amplification is cheaper.  But it seems you've noticed that.  :)

Enjoy them!

I'm still thrilled with the DIY ProAc Response 2.5 clones in my living room.  No special room treatments and they're terrific.  I can't get bass or imaging like this from headphones.

Dec 11, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #14 of 38
Congratulations. I went to Best Buy to listen to Neil Young Live At Massey Hall LP through a pair of B&W 800 powered by McIntosh decks and I nearly cried. If I can find an affordable stereo that sounds like that I'll sleep happy.

Dec 11, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #15 of 38
Are these only available through dealers, or can you order from Magnepan? I'm stumped, can't find where you would do that on their site. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back