I can't believe I'm considering a starter turntable... help!
Jul 3, 2009 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ph0rk

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm fully sold on digital, however there are a growing number of recordings I can only get on vinyl.
mad.gif

So, despite a good deal of smack-talk, I am beginning to consider a starter TT. Now, I am well aware that like all things audio that more expensive is "always" better, but I'd really prefer to keep it in the $200 range. Less for something used/vintage would be fine, but please don't recommend some hard-to find unit that rarely goes for less than $700, because that just won't help. Not ready to buy RFN, but more in the research and planning stage, unless something too good to be true pops up.

As for preamps, I'd probably stick to the onboard pres in either my RX-797 or A-35r. My RX-v620 has a pre too, unsure if it would be worth considering after the other two (both of which are supposedly decent for integrateds/receivers in their price class). The fact I'm not interested in a separate pre at this point should (I hope) underscore the mid-fi minimal thing I'm going for here.

The main goal would be to record the needle drops with my 0404 USB - the 797's selectable record out control will make this pretty easy to set up and forget, making vinyl importing pretty easy, at least from a connections standpoint.

The biggest thing I'd like to have in a starter turntable is that it be easy to use. I'd prefer not to have to deal with constant tweaks. I understand there is some measure of black magic in the cartridge/stylus, but if there are units that are known for having constant speeds that don't require tuning every 3 months, that would be good. Sexy wood veneer bases would be a plus. I doubt I'll futz with ritzy stabilizers or a marble plinth or whatnot. Chintzy 80's silver-look plastic is ok.

I got great sounding digital audio for pretty cheap - I'd like to try out all that cheap vinyl being sold at yard sales for a similar amount, but I'd prefer to skip the $5 dustbin turntable stage. Any units to look for in particular, or to avoid?

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 5
Get a Rega P1 with a Denon 103 cartridge (if you can afford the 103R, go for it, it is in another league), for preamp the clearaudio nano is really good for its price, consider the bellari vp130 and the rega mini. avoid the project and nad preamps.

Just as a note: I know well all the equipment im recommending and have some knowledge on vinyl reproduction.

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm fully sold on digital, however there are a growing number of recordings I can only get on vinyl.
mad.gif

If you switch places with "digital" and "vinyl", I said the exact same thing 20 + years ago.
very_evil_smiley.gif

If you want no fuss plug and play then your best bet is a new turntable. Unfortunately you're not going to get anything decent for $200. Your best bet would probably be a Pro-Ject Debut III for around $350. This comes already set up with a new phono cartridge and warranty.

There are lots of vintage choices in your price range. You may be lucky and get something already set up. Most used tables require at least some basic maintenance and set up (not that complicated) and a new phono cartridge or stylus. The best deals are usually the ones that require the most work.

Try to buy locally so that you can at least see the table in operation. Turntables are also very hard to pack and ship properly and there's a more than occasional occurence that they will arrive with some damage.

At the top of your price range would be a used Thorens TD160.
You may also be able to pick up a used Revolver, Music Hall, Rega Planar 2 or other Thorens models. These are better than entry-level and usually continue to work properly once the initial set up is done.
Almost anything from Technics would be a decent starter deck and this may be your best route since there should plenty of these available already set up at around $100.
Other manufacturers are more hit or miss with some good models and some not so good. memepool's list of starter turntables in the thread mentioned by progo is an excellent reference.

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a Rega P1 with a Denon 103 cartridge (if you can afford the 103R, go for it, it is in another league), for preamp the clearaudio nano is really good for its price, consider the bellari vp130 and the rega mini. avoid the project and nad preamps.

Just as a note: I know well all the equipment im recommending and have some knowledge on vinyl reproduction.

The current NAD phono preamps are decent and the project phono preamps are outstanding especially the Phono Box SE II. Most MM cartridges really don't require anything exotic and I don't think the Denon 103 cartridge is very temperamental either. The AT-OC9ML/II on the other hand is very fussy about with which phono preamp it is used. The Graham Slee with this cartridge was a big disappointment,(Graham Slee reportedly doesn't like this cartridge so his preamps are apparently voiced for the Denon 103). The Bugle mated with a pair of CineMag transformers was quite a bit better but long listening could get fatiguing. The Pro-Ject Phono Box SE II set at 100 ohms is the very best match I have used with the AT -OC9ML. This combination sounds more realistic and refined than the Bugle and listening all day is never a problem. I don't know that I like the idea of recommending the Pro-Ject brand but they do make excellent phono preamps and the Phono Box SE II is the only unit I know of for less than $500 that actually works with the fussy AT-0C9ML/II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back